Surprising my wife

bee

Hi all!

My wife and I will be heading down to Disney at the end of May to celebrate her birthday (PTR in my signature). I want to book something special and surprise her on the trip but I have no idea what to book! Help! We are staying one night at Pop then moving to the Dolphin for four nights.

Things that won't work:
  • She doesn't want to be touched by strangers, so a massage/spa day is out.
  • We already have some signature dining experiences booked (Jiko, Cali Grill) and our dining plans are pretty much set. I am trying to get the Jiko wine tasting but she already knows about that.
  • I don't think she'd like flowers in the room for a relatively short stay.
  • She doesn't like being the center of attention so she wouldn't want anyone coming to our table and singing at any restaurant or anything like that.
  • No dessert parties or fireworks cruises.
  • She's not a morning person so no tours that start early.

She loved the Parisian Breakfast during F&W (which I also booked as a surprise). Is anything like this happening with Flower and Garden?

Is there anything romantic, quiet, and not crazy expensive that I haven't thought of? She might like one of the Disney in-room gift baskets; has anyone had experience with this that can share tips?

Thanks in advance!

epcotisbest

One of the best things we have ever done, and one that does not get mentioned very much is the Sunday Gospel Brunch at House of Blues. We have done it more than once to celebrate our anniversary.
The food is plentiful, delicious and there are many, many choices and it is fun to try so many different kinds stuff. To go with it, there is usually what I would call a raise the roof gospel music show to go along with the meal.
The food alone would be fantastic, the rousing, spirit-filled show alone would be fantastic. Together they both make for an extra special time. I think it is a good experience all around and not necessarily just for particularly spiritual people, but for anyone.
I suggested it to someone before who hold me they would pass because they were not really religious type people, but I do think it would work for anyone open to just having a rollicking good time and good meal.
I realize it is not for everyone, but for us, it ranks right up there with watching Wishes from the observation deck atop the Contemporary after enjoying an amazing meal at the California Grill on our actual anniversary day, and it costs much less than what we wound up spending at CG too.
Now mind you, the gospel brunch is not romantic and quiet like you mentioned, but still a special experience, at least for us.
Another year I surprised her with one of the Dooney and Bourke Disney handbags and let's just say she liked that too.

Upvote 0

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I like the Sunday Gospel Brunch at House of Blues too - it has become a family must-do for us too. I agree with @epcotisbest - great food and great music. What more could you want (or need)?! While they do ask if anyone is celebrating a birthday or anniversary, whether you say anything would be entirely up to you (and if I recall correctly all they do is ask the audience to clap collectively for birthdays).

Upvote 0

bee

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great ideas so far! @epcotisbest and @Swissmiss do you know if the brunch is only Sundays? Her family is joining us the Sunday of our trip and I don't think they would want to do it. But thanks for putting this idea in my head for a future trip!

@tor29c I didn't even consider that! I assume you don't have to be staying at POFQ to do this?

@WDW74 I just found out about this but forgot it and didn't think about it for our trip. Thanks for reminding me!

Upvote 0

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Yes, it is only on Sundays. We've tended to organise it so that we don't go to a park on that day - there is an earlier brunch (10:30 maybe?) and a later one (I think 1:00 pm) so it really cuts into the day if you plan to go to a park but if you plan to resort hop, shop or relax, its perfect. Whatever you end up doing, enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Thanks for all the great ideas so far! @epcotisbest and @Swissmiss do you know if the brunch is only Sundays? Her family is joining us the Sunday of our trip and I don't think they would want to do it. But thanks for putting this idea in my head for a future trip!

@tor29c I didn't even consider that! I assume you don't have to be staying at POFQ to do this?

@WDW74 I just found out about this but forgot it and didn't think about it for our trip. Thanks for reminding me!
Yes, only on Sunday. Usually two different times, 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Hope you find something special for your surprise.

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Yes, it is only on Sundays. We've tended to organise it so that we don't go to a park on that day - there is an earlier brunch (10:30 maybe?) and a later one (I think 1:00 pm) so it really cuts into the day if you plan to go to a park but if you plan to resort hop, shop or relax, its perfect. Whatever you end up doing, enjoy your trip.
We must have been typing at the same time. Great minds...

Upvote 0

bee

Original Poster
So GF Tea is completely booked for our dates, and Beach Club (thanks for pointing this out, @WDW74 !) isn't currently scheduled to host the tea during our trip. BUT things change and people cancel and the BC Tea has already added dates once before so they might again. I'll keep checking.

Thanks again to all who have made suggestions! Even if we don't get to do them all on this trip I have new ideas for future trips!

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Don't have any ideas but would like to commend you on your search for surprising your wife. Bravo! I always hint to my husband things, but as the MAIN Disney planner in the family he leaves everything up to me... A surprise is nice here and there. :)

Upvote 0

glvsav37

for my wife's 40th I did bunch of things, some you already touched on as no-go's like the fireworks cruise, but:
• Photography session: I hired a professional photographer to meet us at the Boardwalk and we had a few hour photoshoot session, us and the kids. Photos came out great and were a huge hit with all the friends at home.
• Scavenger hunt: I hired a private company that specializes in scavenger hunts in the park. We worked together to plan a hunt around the MK and at a few of the locations I had gifts waiting for her. It was fun, a lady approached us at the fountain behind the castle and gave my wife her first task. Then at each location, there were plain clothed people guarding the gifts until she found it.

Upvote 0

GrumpySue

Book a scavenger hunt through Gifts of a Lifetime. My husband did this for our 10th Anniversary and it was so much fun. The hunt ended at the Grand Floridian where he had a private dinner on the balcony planned. They can cater it to any theme or budget and in any park. They are awesome and I highly recommend them.

Upvote 0

bee

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone who responded! I have so many new ideas for experiences for current and future trips.

Aaaaand, after much Disney website stalking, I managed to score a reservation for the GF Afternoon Tea! If by chance the Beach Club version adds more dates during our trip I'll switch to that since we are staying at the Dolphin, but it's great to know we have something booked.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom