Sup with these new ugly magic band boxes?

barkerbird

I'm not a fan of the Incredibles packaging either, but I like how the bands are lined up in slots like jewelry on the inside. Slightly off topic, but do you think they should make the MB more durable? I thought it would be a neat idea to continue using the same MB for as long as desired. The first one that I had wore down before the end of my trip. You couldn't even read my name on the inside.

Another idea could be to print the dates on the bands, and tailor them to the time used. That way people don't end up with a pile of old bands with color as the only distinguishing factor. That is if people want to save them for any sentimental value.

csmat99

You do not need to buy a ticket at all to get one.
I am glad to have less waste and glad they made the changes.

Um the APs were a protected type of paper. I never had one rip or get destroyed. Yes plastic would have been nicer, but they weren't just plain paper.

You are wrong AP's back in early 2000's weren't printed on a protected type of paper. They were the same exact paper ticket with Goofy, Pluto that regular tickets were issued. It was my understanding that Florida AP holders could get a perm one but since I wasn't living in Florida I can't be sure.

With regards to your waste comment you make no sense. Do you know how much energy, plastic and carbon footprint those magic bands create compared to a paper box? Disney if they wanted to be environmentally conscious would force you to opt in for a new band if you already have one and you should have to pay few bucks to help offset the plastic being used. So no this has nothing to do with waste it has to do with Disney saving money and sad thing is we are already paying for the fancy boxes now we just get junk.

correcaminos

I'm not talking about now. They used to be for years.
I'm not talking about now either. I've been an AP holder regularly since about 2002. I still have a couple old APs and they aren't plain paper.

You are wrong AP's back in early 2000's weren't printed on a protected type of paper. They were the same exact paper ticket with Goofy, Pluto that regular tickets were issued. It was my understanding that Florida AP holders could get a perm one but since I wasn't living in Florida I can't be sure.

With regards to your waste comment you make no sense. Do you know how much energy, plastic and carbon footprint those magic bands create compared to a paper box? Disney if they wanted to be environmentally conscious would force you to opt in for a new band if you already have one and you should have to pay few bucks to help offset the plastic being used. So no this has nothing to do with waste it has to do with Disney saving money and sad thing is we are already paying for the fancy boxes now we just get junk.
Why the hostility just because I don't agree? Seriously I am glad to get less waste and have less boxes to break down. Honestly we don't even get magic bands anymore unless we have a need for them.

csmat99

I'm not talking about now either. I've been an AP holder regularly since about 2002. I still have a couple old APs and they aren't plain paper.

Why the hostility just because I don't agree? Seriously I am glad to get less waste and have less boxes to break down. Honestly we don't even get magic bands anymore unless we have a need for them.
I never used the word plain paper like looseleaf. I said they were paper tickets that were same exact ones that day passholders had and yes they could be damaged by water or ripped. If you spilled something on them would they be ok yes but you couldn't keep them in pants if soaked on a ride. They could rip. So if you still have couple old ones how about you post picture of them?

I wasn't being hostile. Just saying your comment made no sense about waste and then providing facts proving that point. Being hostile would be me attacking you personally when I don't even know you. But I have every right to say something you said isn't backed up by factual evidence.

correcaminos

I never used the word plain paper like looseleaf. I said they were paper tickets that were same exact ones that day passholders had and yes they could be damaged by water or ripped. If you spilled something on them would they be ok yes but you couldn't keep them in pants if soaked on a ride. They could rip. So if you still have couple old ones how about you post picture of them?

I wasn't being hostile. Just saying your comment made no sense about waste and then providing facts proving that point. Being hostile would be me attacking you personally when I don't even know you. By I have every right to say something you said isn't backed up by factual evidence.
My comment made sense to me. You don't agree so no need to argue about it like it will change my mind. I hate waste. We don't get new Magic Bands either so yeah, I'm glad they are doing something to make it less.

As an FYI I just took my 'regular paper' AP that I kept (I liked the outside of it) and tried to tear it, we couldn't. We had to do a lot to even get a nick in the edges. I also soaked it in water for a minute, took it out, and the water beaded off the paper. So it was not paper easily destroyed.

edit: see post below for pictures

They still send luggage tags, got mine a few days ago. However, being Canadian, I don't get my MBs before getting at the resort - I'd take the box that some are spitting on anytime of the week!
Being DVC we don't get the luggage tags - I'm so jealous!

Last edited:

correcaminos

So if you still have couple old ones how about you post picture of them?
But I have every right to say something you said isn't backed up by factual evidence.
Here are facts and pictures - obviously I whited out areas that I don't want public

This is the one I put in a cup of water for a minute. This is after I put it in the water too and after we (husband and I) tried to rip it. If you look on the right you can see where we nicked it, but no, we couldn't tear it. I'd have had to cut it with a scissors. It may have not been fancy or anything, but honestly the complaints about the "fragility" of the APs were stupid then and even more now. They probably couldn't handle being washed in a machine, but they were not easily destroyed. I chose one from 2006/2007 (same paper as in 2002 or so) because I disliked this one the most.

zMvUEWv.jpg

Ye6iZB1.jpg

csmat99

Here are facts and pictures - obviously I whited out areas that I don't want public

This is the one I put in a cup of water for a minute. This is after I put it in the water too and after we (husband and I) tried to rip it. If you look on the right you can see where we nicked it, but no, we couldn't tear it. I'd have had to cut it with a scissors. It may have not been fancy or anything, but honestly the complaints about the "fragility" of the APs were stupid then and even more now. They probably couldn't handle being washed in a machine, but they were not easily destroyed. I chose one from 2006/2007 (same paper as in 2002 or so) because I disliked this one the most.

zMvUEWv.jpg

Ye6iZB1.jpg
And it proves my point that is was the same exact paper ticket they spit out for regular ticket holders. Universal AP back then you got your picture taken and it was a hard plastic like a credit card. No issues with washing it or forgetting it was in your swim trunks and something made you feel little better spending over $1,500-1600 for family of four. Of course this was 2000's prices now that same annual pass would cost you around 2,500 for family of 4.

correcaminos

And it proves my point that is was the same exact paper ticket they spit out for regular ticket holders. Universal AP back then you got your picture taken and it was a hard plastic like a credit card. No issues with washing it or forgetting it was in your swim trunks and something made you feel little better spending over $1,500-1600 for family of four. Of course this was 2000's prices now that same annual pass would cost you around 2,500 for family of 4.
How did that prove your point? You claimed they were easily destroyed, I said they were not. Pretty much proved that with the pictures. But if the plastic made you feel better, fine. I never would have swam with ANY card - plastic or otherwise, but that's me. However no matter what, these were made out of special paper that actually did repel water when I tested it tonight.

Disney tickets were printed on a mylar paper blend to make them more durable.
Thank you!!! I could not for the life of me remember the name! I knew it was something different so they would hold up better.

Lets Respect

Packaging does matter. A lot!

They should have kept the nice boxes at least for people going the first time. That would have been a nice touch. Kids do get excited when they see the bands and the old boxes made for better Facebook and Instagram pictures ;)

mousehockey37

A reason they could've changed the boxes is because the new way doesn't exactly give the idea of a Disney vacation. Others have said that there were rashes of mailboxes being picked through. Well, customers also had valid concerns on making sure that their kids didn't discover Mickey Mail prior to the Christmas unboxing or whatnot. So cutting costs, keeping parents happy, keeping crooks away...

csmat99

How did that prove your point? You claimed they were easily destroyed, I said they were not. Pretty much proved that with the pictures. But if the plastic made you feel better, fine. I never would have swam with ANY card - plastic or otherwise, but that's me. However no matter what, these were made out of special paper that actually did repel water when I tested it tonight.
I said they were paper tickets that were same exact ones that day passholders had and yes they could be damaged by water or ripped.

When did I ever say easily destroyed? I never used the word easily and never said destroyed. See above. But you keep trying to put words in my mouth. My point was and is the fact Disney should of created an unique Annual passholder card that reflects the commitment and money spent on it and not give out the same exact card someone who spent $90 bucks on a one day pass would get.

correcaminos

When did I ever say easily destroyed? I never used the word easily and never said destroyed. See above. But you keep trying to put words in my mouth. My point was and is the fact Disney should of created an unique Annual passholder card that reflects the commitment and money spent on it and not give out the same exact card someone who spent $90 bucks on a one day pass would get.
this
Kinda like annual pass holders who spent thousands of dollars for family and only got the same paper ticket that someone who bought a one day pass for 100 bucks back in the day and had to worry about it ripping or getting water on it. Now with bands doesn't matter much anymore but you couldn't understand how cheap that looks to someone. It would be like staying at a four seasons and the shower is just a tub with shower curtain like at a holiday inn for 49 bucks a night.
Your words, not mine. I simply stated they were special paper (which they were) that wasn't easily harmed. Getting water on it was never a concern since it really doesn't do much of anything and neither was ripping.

I also disagree since I never thought I needed anything special with my AP. It got me in the parks, held up well with my multiple trips per year and that's all I need. Whining about something that wasn't even a concern at all just because you paid more than the day people is kind of silly to me. But that's a whole other argument which I am sure we don't want to go into.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
My point was and is the fact Disney should of created an unique Annual passholder card that reflects the commitment and money spent on it and not give out the same exact card someone who spent $90 bucks on a one day pass would get.
And yet the annual passes were printed on the same stock and from the same machines as those day tickets. It made (and makes) perfect sense for them to look and feel the same. The magic is not in the ticket -- the magic is in what the ticket represents.

csmat99

And yet the annual passes were printed on the same stock and from the same machines as those day tickets. It made (and makes) perfect sense for them to look and feel the same. The magic is not in the ticket -- the magic is in what the ticket represents.
Not true. The magic is not something someone else can tell you what the magic should be to them. Why some people line up to see the opening of Magic Kingdom when others have never see it and could care less. And if you truly believe that most people don't care about what is on a card then you are fooling yourself. Why do you think Credit card companies have millions of people that pick unique images to put on their credit cards? Why do you think a 5 star hotel will go out of their way to present the room key in a very nice holder with custom pen when they write you room number on it? It's all part of the experience.

SeanWM48

@ the environmentally friendly responses - really guys? you're glad disney got cheap with their packaging because now there's smaller/cheaper materials and that's somehow helping the environment? or are you just incapable of admitting disney did something disappointing

different opinions happen but this one's baffling me. did disney put out a press release that they're going green, or did a few people completely make this up to defend the crummy packaging?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom