Studios: Boarding Group Question

Deno

Original Poster
Hi all

I've tried searching the forums but still don't really 'get it'.

So, on June 8th I can start making my FP+ selections. Can I not add any Star Wars rides to these? Do I need to use the Boarding Group system?

This is the part that confuses me. We're staying at Beach Club....we will be having late nights so my family will most likely sleep until after 10am. I'm a bit of an insomniac so i'll be up and ready most days. Can I walk into Studios at opening time, register my whole family for a Boarding Group and then leave the park and return later in the afternoon?

Just a tad confused on how this all works.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

Nemo14

Fast passe are available for Galaxy's Edge, but Rise of the Resistance is currently only available through boarding groups.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
To add to what @Nemo14 and @RememberWhen said:

Smuggler’s Run: Millennium Falcon is a Tier 1 Fastpass, meaning if you choose that you will not be able to pick Slinky Dog Dash or Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway for a FP, since you can only select one attraction from Tier 1.

Star Tours is Tier 2 FP, so you could have both Falcon and Star Tours as Fastpasses.

Rise of the Resistance is by Boarding Group only. All members of your party must be scanned into the park before opening time (gates open 30-45 minutes prior) and you must open the MDE app EXACTLY at opening to try for a guaranteed Boarding Group (which are gone within seconds). Backup Boarding Groups (no guarantee you’ll ride but likely you will) go quickly also, anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes after opening, depending on crowds.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
To add to what @Nemo14 and @RememberWhen said:

Smuggler’s Run: Millennium Falcon is a Tier 1 Fastpass, meaning if you choose that you will not be able to pick Slinky Dog Dash or Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway for a FP, since you can only select one attraction from Tier 1.

Star Tours is Tier 2 FP, so you could have both Falcon and Star Tours as Fastpasses.

Rise of the Resistance is by Boarding Group only. All members of your party must be scanned into the park before opening time (gates open 30-45 minutes prior) and you must open the MDE app EXACTLY at opening to try for a guaranteed Boarding Group (which are gone within seconds). Backup Boarding Groups (no guarantee you’ll ride but likely you will) go quickly also, anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes after opening, depending on crowds.
Where do you navigate within the app to get the boarding group?

Freshee61

For rise of resistance one family member must be at park open at Disney studios to log in app or go to one of the many guest experience help set up. I did the latter. your whole family does not need to be in the park. Just need to arrive at park opens within a hour all groups are taken. I just did this In January.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Where do you navigate within the app to get the boarding group?
Open the app
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance - Access by Boarding Group screen will appear. Click “Find Out More” EXACTLY at opening time
If red “Join Boarding Group” appears click on that. You will then need to select the members of your party. It is faster to “Select All” but ONLY if all are scanned into the park. Then click the final “Join Boarding Group.”
If you are successful, this will appear:
18FB96EC-6541-4B97-BA2B-FA0E0DCBEEA2.png

Sometimes the first red “Join Boarding Group” is greyed out but “My Status” is red. Click it and follow the same steps above.

If you don’t receive a guaranteed Boarding Group, you will receive a note that allows you to join a backup Boarding Group if they are still available.

nickys

Premium Member
For rise of resistance one family member must be at park open at Disney studios to log in app or go to one of the many guest experience help set up. I did the latter. your whole family does not need to be in the park. Just need to arrive at park opens within a hour all groups are taken. I just did this In January.

You got a lot of pixie dust.

When you open the app and are asked to select your party, only those tapped into the park are shown. If you were able to add others who weren’t with you, you were very lucky. But that won’t be the case for 99.9% of guests.

And boarding groups can all be gone within a minute, let alone an hour.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
One family member must be at park open at Disney studios to log in app or go to one of the many guest experience help set up I did the latter. your whole family does not need to be in the park. Just need to arrive at park opens within a hour all groups are taken. I just did this In January.
This is very risky and was probably an exception for you. If one member logs into the app and the others aren’t in the park, only one person gets into a group. Going to a Guest Experience Team Member to get others added to your BG (especially when the others are not IN the park) does not guarantee success. Thousands of guests are vying for BGs at the same time and the number of groups are LIMITED. Guaranteed groups are gone within seconds and backups within minutes. Guests who abide by the guidelines (outlined in my post above) will have priority over those who don’t.

Guest Experience Team Members are there to assist guests who:
Don’t have a cellphone
Don’t understand how the BG process works
Had difficulty in opening the app (or it crashed) and something went wrong

They are not there to add family members who were too tired to get up for park opening. Consider yourself lucky and please don’t pass on incorrect information.

Hcalvert

I wonder when they are going to get rid of boarding groups and allow for standby and fastpasses. We're going to try in March for a BG.

nickys

Premium Member
I wonder when they are going to get rid of boarding groups and allow for standby and fastpasses. We're going to try in March for a BG.

Not that soon is my guess; March starts tomorrow!

I’m sure they will move to either stand-by only or FPs & stand-by when the ride is reliable enough to cope.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Open the app
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance - Access by Boarding Group screen will appear. Click “Find Out More” EXACTLY at opening time
If red “Join Boarding Group” appears click on that. You will then need to select the members of your party. It is faster to “Select All” but ONLY if all are scanned into the park. Then click the final “Join Boarding Group.”
If you are successful, this will appear:
View attachment 452990
Sometimes the first red “Join Boarding Group” is greyed out but “My Status” is red. Click it and follow the same steps above.

If you don’t receive a guaranteed Boarding Group, you will receive a note that allows you to join a backup Boarding Group if they are still available.
Thanks for the info. The wife and I will be both logged in and trying so Im hoping we get it the first time. We are planning on studios twice the week we are there and will be early risers those days.

Freshee61

This is very risky and was probably an exception for you.
Hope passholders that go often chime in because I had no problem going alone and cast member experience did not mention this was not allowed and or a curtesy or anything to that regard.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Hope passholders that go often chime in because I had no problem going alone and cast member experience did not mention this was not allowed and or a curtesy or anything to that regard.
It was also two months ago. Procedures have been tightened and more guests are arriving prior to opening to get a BG. Gone are the days when Boarding Groups were still available an hour after park opening.

This morning ALL groups (which include backup groups, of which there are more than guaranteed groups) were gone in 6 minutes.

This is a prime example of the early bird gets the worm. All others get this:

884C40DE-498D-454D-B288-0A7A7C68A4EC.jpeg

P.S. I am a Passholder.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It was also two months ago. Procedures have been tightened and more guests are arriving prior to opening to get a BG. Gone are the days when Boarding Groups were still available an hour after park opening.

This morning ALL groups (which include backup groups, of which there are more than guaranteed groups) were gone in 6 minutes.

This is a prime example of the early bird gets the worm. All others get this:

View attachment 452994

P.S. I am a Passholder.
What time was park opening and what time did you arrive?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Still hope we get more feedback from other pass holders to be able to have more experiences.

You’ll find plenty of feedback here. :bookworm:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom