Studio Backlot Tour Automated Spiel?

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Screamscape is reporting the Studio Backlot Tour might go the way of Living with the Land:

icon_STOP.gif
Park News - (9/18/08) In a strange bit of information, Screamscape has been told that the Backlot Tour will begin testing out an automated spiel system as early as October, removing the need to have live tour guides. Anyone know more?

Anyone heard about this?

Since1976

I wouldn't put it past them. I don't see why they don't just scrap that entire area.

On our last visit, we went on the backlot tour, even though I knew there was not much let to see back there anymore. I remember getting on the tram and getting excited when the CM announced that there might be some actual filming going on back there that day. I was disappointed (not to mention embarrassed that I had forgotten about the deception) when I realized that day's "filming" was on the "set" of Catastrophe Canyon.

Isn't it bizarre that the tour is essentially of a fake backlot?

I hope the automated spiel gives way to a better use of that section of the park.

rsoxguy

I have not heard anything beyond the statement that you quoted, but the last few times that I have taken the BLT have been less than impressive. I believe they added a few items to the bone yard, but that's about it. This attraction is in dire need of something (anything) new, and so an automated host might be Disney's answer. It seems to me that it would be difficult to orchestrate the timing of an automated speech with a tour that is often subject to an interrupted schedule of movement within the tour. I know that trigger sensors would help to settle the problem, but I have always seen this tour as something that begs for the personality of a live host. Thanks for the info.

Since1976

I have not heard anything beyond the statement that you quoted, but the last few times that I have taken the BLT have been less than impressive. I believe they added a few items to the bone yard, but that's about it. This attraction is in dire need of something (anything) new, and so an automated host might be Disney's answer. It seems to me that it would be difficult to orchestrate the timing of an automated speech with a tour that is often subject to an interrupted schedule of movement within the tour. I know that trigger sensors would help to settle the problem, but I have always seen this tour as something that begs for the personality of a live host. Thanks for the info.

Well, you do have a live driver, so I suppose he could trigger all parts of the spiel at the touch of a button.

Brian_WDW74

Screamscape has posted an update:
icon_STOP.gif
Park News - (9/19/08) An inside source has confirmed to us that the Backlot Tram is scheduled to go down for rehab for as long as two months sometime in Janurary 2009. At this point the prerecorded spiel system will be added in time for a planned March reopening date.
No closure is currently listed for it on disneyworld.com.

Pete C

Agreed, the attraction is a JOKE. They should bulldoze the entire area and put in Carsland or just the Radiator Springs Racers ride that DCA is getting. It would be perfectly placed right next to Pixar Place and they have the space.

Disneychild92

i was really disapointed by this ride if im honest it would be so much better if it actually was backstage and not all show we wonna see real action rather than that stuff and the prop graveyard thing i couldnt remember half the stuff there

Tinkerbella16

I used to go on the Backlot Tour every trip...Last year I didn't even care to go on it. Ever since they took away the street with the tv show houses, I've had no interest in it. Its so lame these days...and its a shame because this used to be one of those great attractions that Disney really did well with. Now its basically nothing to me.

Boray

The Backlot are is so filled with POTENTIAL!!!! It's great space for something cool. Right now, it couldn't be more useless. I wish they weren't wasting time and money to put in an automated spiel, but just close it down and figure out something else for this space. ANYTHING would be better than the embarrassment that this section of the park has become....

Just my .02....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom