Stitch's Great Escape Review: Using New Formula. Give it a score. . .

phichi17

Using the General's scale.......76/100 for me. However my daughter, 8y/o, who is skiddish of most things of this nature LOVED the ride, so for her 90/100.

basas

Goofy's Barnstomer REVIEW:
18/25 POINTS: STORY
- Clear, creative, original storyline: 7/10
Cute, fun, but weak
- Do the elements and effects serve the storyline? 8/10
Ride train is fun and the barn works well.
- Is the story relevant/do we care?/Does the audience act in an active position? 3/5
Its a cute fun ride that fits with ToonTown Fair but its nothing special.

12/20 POINTS: AUDIENCE APPEAL
- Young children: 5/5
- Adolescents/young adults: 3/5
- Parents/adults: 2/5
- Seniors: 2/5

13/20 POINTS: METHOD
- Novel technologies 6/10
very standard roller coaster
Is the attraction quality up to Disney standards? 7/10
Way too short, not really anything to remember tomorrow.

13/20 POINTS: ENGAGING ELEMENTS
- Endearing or effecive characters/emotional story: 7/10
Works well with TTF and the Goofy theme.
- Inspiration or fulfillment/take-home point/message/Disney difference: 6/10
Not really any message displayed and most will forget it very soon after getting off.

8/15 POINTS: Other elements
- Queue/Preshow and/or Postshow: 3/5
Queue can be entertaining- no postshow or preshow.
- Music/soundtrack: 1/5
Is there one?
- Does this attraction truly add to the themed land/park/resort?: 4/5
Does go along with the theme of Toontown Fair and provides something to do for kids who want to ride a roller coaster but are too small for BTMRR and Space.

FINAL GRADE = 64/100 D
Fun, but not great.

basas

Well if we rated the Barnstomer as hard as BTMRR, we might run into negative numbers and those didn't fit into the scale :animwink:

basas

one more...

DINOSAUR REVIEW:
24/25 POINTS: STORY
- Clear, creative, original storyline: 9/10
Clear storyline that is set from the start.
- Do the elements and effects serve the storyline? 10/10
Everything from the loading bay, to the ride cars are used in the story.
- Is the story relevant/do we care?/Does the audience act in an active position? 5/5
The audience is "part" of the story.

14/20 POINTS: AUDIENCE APPEAL
- Young children: 3/5
- Adolescents/young adults: 5/5
- Parents/adults: 4/5

18/20 POINTS: METHOD
- Novel technologies 9/10
A type of ride not found very often...
Is the attraction quality up to Disney standards? 9/10
Well done, and while maybe not up to IJ, it is a great attraction.

16/20 POINTS: ENGAGING ELEMENTS
- Endearing or effecive characters/emotional story: 8/10
As said- everything is part of the story.
- Inspiration or fulfillment/take-home point/message/Disney difference: 8/10
Not usually a "WDW Highlight"

12/15 POINTS: Other elements
- Queue/Preshow and/or Postshow: 5/5
A nice queue (not like IJ) but still serves as part of the story. Pre-show is good.
- Music/soundtrack: 3/5
Music is OK- nothing that sticks in your head.
Fits with the AK theme and DInoland theme.

FINAL GRADE = 84/100 B
IMO, a very under-rated ride. (due in most part to IJ)

Passport

It was terrible!
And the screaming and crying kids didn't help since I had a hard time hearing or understanding Stitch when he talked.
The concept is weak and then everything is suddenly over.
The attraction has been ruined.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Passport said:
It was terrible!
And the screaming and crying kids didn't help since I had a hard time hearing or understanding Stitch when he talked.
The concept is weak and then everything is suddenly over.
The attraction has been ruined.
What was the guest reaction when you left, personal view aside?

disnyfan89

Universe of Energy:Elen's Energy Adventure
20/25 POINTS: STORY
Clear, creative, original storyline 9/10
-Well written and thought out with a clear story -1 point for people who don't like Elen.
Do the elements and effects serve the storyline? 6/10
-the environment with the dinos is well the med but many might find there to be to many videos and segments of long waiting with just audio to entertain them.
Is the story relevant/do we care?/Does the audience act in an active position? 5/5
-many could relate to the story of being in a nightmare where you couldn't do a thing.

15/20 POINTS: Audience Appeal
- 5: Young children 3/5
- 5: Adolescents/young adults 3/5
- 5: Parents/adults 4/5
- 5: Seniors 5/5

15/20 POINTS: Method
Novel technologies 5/10
-5 points for all the wonderful audioanmatronics
Is the attraction quality up to Disney standards? 10/10
-tells a wonderful story in true Disney fashion

19/20 POINTS: Engaging elements
Endearing or effective characters/emotional story 9/10
-easy to connect to some of our favorite characters (who doesn't love Bill Nyne)
Inspiration or fulfillment/take-home point/message 10/10
-simple and effective the greatest source of power is the power to think and reinvent ideas and to save our environment!

14/15 POINTS: Other elements
Queue/Pre show and/or Post show 4/5
-one of the funniest pre-shows around
Music/soundtrack 5/5
-can't get the music out of my head
Does this attraction truly add to the themed land/park/resort 5/5
-talks about ways we can improve the environment with different and future technology's!

overall 83/100 B

disnyfan89

thanks Grizz
I tought I would rate an attraction that not very many people seem to like but I really enjoy it! I love the music above all!

General Grizz

Original Poster
disnyfan89 said:
thanks Grizz
I tought I would rate an attraction that not very many people seem to like but I really enjoy it! I love the music above all!
Couldn't agree with you more. I adore Ellen's Energy Adventure. :D

basas

I find the preshow quite funny and the ride is fun....but the length does take its toll at the end and you just want to get out (mostly in the educational section) :lol:

dxwwf3

Since everyone is in the reviewing mood, I'll go ahead and do the obvious.

ALIEN ENCOUNTER REVIEW: 25/25 POINTS: STORY
- I don't think any other attraction has ever had a BETTER storyline: 10/10
The storyline is simple enough to where most guests should be able to follow it and it's complex enough to be analyzed in depth.

Yes, especially the binural sound

- Is the story relevant/do we care?/Does the audience act in an active position? 5/5
I think we should care unless you want to be eaten!

12/20 POINTS: AUDIENCE APPEAL
- Young children: 2/5 (Some kids are strong enough to take it)
- Seniors: 1/5

20/20 POINTS: METHOD
- Novel technologies 10/10 - The first of it's kind
- Is the attraction quality up to Disney standards? 10/10 - That would be a big yes.

18/20 POINTS: ENGAGING ELEMENTS
- Endearing or effecive characters/emotional story: 10/10
All original characters that were very memorable. Heck one of them even lived longer than the attraction itself.

- Inspiration or fulfillment/take-home point/message: 8/10
Nothing truly inspiring, but you have to be inspired by walking out alive....we hope.

- Queue/Preshow and/or Postshow: 5/5 - Questionably the best 2 preshows in Disney history.

- Music/soundtrack: 4/5
Very nice score throughout. Also "Seize The Future" and the "Exit Theme" get high marks in my book.

- Does this attraction truly add to the themed land/park/resort?: 5/5
Does Mickey Mouse have ears? The Magic Kingdom needs all the adult based attractions it can get. Not everything has to be cute and cuddly. It's good to have things for the BIG kids as well. And as far as fitting the theme of The New Tomorrowland's City That Never Was...Forget About It!

FINAL GRADE: 89/100

Even though I would independently give the attraction an A, I have to deduct points only because it wasn't totally family friendly for every age group (Youngest and oldest). Still, I think that it not appealing to everyone was one of it's greatest attributes. But nonetheless I hope I was fair in the review.

basas

Star Tours REVIEW:
25/25 POINTS: STORY
- Clear, creative, original storyline: 10/10
Clear storyline that is everywhere from the queue to the ride.
Everything fits the theme of departing from an "airport" to Endor.
The audience is put into the story as the passengers and are an important part of the ride the whole time.

14/20 POINTS: AUDIENCE APPEAL
- Young children: 3/5

17/20 POINTS: METHOD
- Novel technologies 8/10
At one time, a very new experience, now seems dated
Is the attraction quality up to Disney standards? 9/10
Fun, neat, and a good ride

16/20 POINTS: ENGAGING ELEMENTS
- Endearing or effecive characters/emotional story: 8/10
- Inspiration or fulfillment/take-home point/message/Disney difference: 8/10

- Queue/Preshow and/or Postshow: 5/5
Great queue! Pre-show annoys me bace of that lady with her hair all sideways :lol:
- Music/soundtrack: 5/5
Great music!
Fits perfectly with MGM

FINAL GRADE = 86/100 B
Who would have though I would have given Star Tours higher than BTMRR :lookaroun

Djali999

This is actually a pretty neat scale, but perhaps not too useful as to weather or not you personally like the attraction. Things I ride often but don't nessicarily believe are all that great include Carpets, Winnie the Pooh, Astro Orbiter, etc. Sometimes you just like something because it is what it is...

whereas I believe Country Bears, the old Tiki Room, Alien, and now Stitch are probably what I would define as 'cult attractions' - they may not always 'do it' for me, but I can see their merits. Whereas I'd rate things like Living With the Land, Tom Sawyer Island, Universe of Ellen, El Rio del Tiempo, etc as 'underdog' attractions. They're some of the best spots on property, but are often passed over.

But Grizz makes a good point - how do you rate something like a Jungle Cruise? How do you rate Dumbo? How do you rate something that's intended to be nothing but what it is? Perfect example: how could you rate the Skyway using this criteria? How could you rate the old Main Street Cinema using this criteria?

Still, it's an intriguing formulae, and one I can't say I won't refer back to. still, and I'm not saying, Grizz, that you had presented it otherwise, but it should not be regarded as a definitive formula for rating an attraction - and really, I'm not sure it should replace just a gut feeling, either.

Out of pure curiosity: was the scale devolped as a response to SGE? it seems logical as the show is frankly a 'problem attraction': one I delight in, but it defies easy categorization, and often feels half-formed the first time one expirences it. If your response to the show was to work out the rating scale that logically addresses what traditionally goes into a 'classic', then I applaud you for such an intelligent reaction: that was my inital reaction too. As in: "I think I liked that, but I kind of didn't, but perhaps I wanted to?"

Well, I do like it, but this scale very nicely brings out the strengths and flaws in most attractions, if applied objectivley. bravo!

as an aside, I'd simply like to address something brought up in earlier posts: the Haunted Mansion has absolutley no significance behind it's obvious plot arc: you enter a haunted house, it turns out to be a retirement home for spooks, and they throw a party. Coates, Anderson, and other Imagineers initally tried to 'crack' a story in regard to the show, but could never get far. Davis' innovation, once he climbed aboard after he finished his work on Pirates, was to give it no plot - just a succession of errie vingettes increasing in intensity and elaborateness. The Haunted Mansion is a symphony of atmopsherics.

It wasn't until Phantom Manor appeared, and those same unrelated vingettes were attatched significance, that folks began to speculate about what actually happened in that old house. I can say without hesitation that I think attatching such significance can be actively dangerous: the very thing that drives the show is the sense of mystery and of exploring half-grasped, dark secrets. To paraphrase Hamlet, you're going to pluck the heart out of the mystery.

Objectivley, on Grizz' scale, I can't give the Mansion's plot more than a 15/20. Phantom Manor gets that 20/20.

Shaman

One of the things I loved about my impromptu trip this weekend was that I was able to experience Stitch...

And well...I hated it.

My biggest problem with it is...if you take the "scare" or "thrill" element away (which they obviously did with Stitch)...They end up with: NOTHING....They have long dark portions where all you hear are noises, not scary noises...Stitch's gibberish...with one or two lousy effects mixed in...that equals to one boring attraction. While the Stitch AA is awesome and those blasters or cannons or whatever you want to call them...are cool too...the attraction was a major let down...people will get tired of this...faster than they got tired of AE...

Just my opinion though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom