Staying on the ship

rufio

Original Poster
DH and I have a three night cruise booked in January - my first ever! Our stops are Nassau and Castaway Cay with no days at sea. Since it's only three nights we're considering staying on the ship instead of getting off at Castaway Cay. There doesn't seem to be a lot to do there and I feel like there will be so much to do onboard that we won't get a chance to do otherwise. Anyone here skip port adventures to stay on the ship? Or are we missing out?

ChuckElias

I think you'll be missing out. A lot of people feel that Castaway Cay is actually their favorite port. It's just for passengers of YOUR ship, no other tourists. No pushy vendors (although there are some shops, they're not pushy); no "locals" who may be pickpockets. There are lots of beach-type activities, drink service, lunch provided, an adult-only area, and even child-care provided. There are shore excursions (fishing boats, parasailing, sting-ray adventure), although my family almost never does those. It can be an unbelievably fun AND relaxing day.

And while there will movies and Muppet Detective Agency on-board, there will be very few organized activities. Maybe that's fine with you. Maybe you just want to have Quiet Cove to yourself. Then that's fine. And there are always people who choose this option. They're not beach folks and would rather have a quiet pool day and lunch in a quiet restaurant with air conditioning.

Totally up to you. But even if you're not a beach person, I would suggest getting off the ship, and just walking through Castaway Cay for an hour or so to see it and look through some of the merchandise that you can only get on the island.

sweetpee_1993

Hey girl! Have to admit, I read your post and was like ----> :jawdrop: Whaaaaaaa??????? :jawdrop: But then I try to imagine why you would even consider not stepping off at Castaway Cay. You must not be a beachy person. That's my best guess. I can totally identify with people who feel this way because for YEARS I was as anti-beach as I was anti-cruise. Beach = hot, dirt everywhere (which makes me insane), and salty water that makes me feel sticky all over and my hair crunchy. Um, no thanks. LOL! Just as it took Mickey to get me to try a cruise (and fall in love), it took Mickey to get me to return to the beach (and fall in love). As a Disney fan I wasn't really interested in cruising per se. I wanted to see for myself the amazing, beautiful, incredibly detailed ship(s) Disney had created. It was @Disneyfalcon 's TRs that grabbed my attention. If I'd never seen her report and incredible pics from the preview of the Dream I would NEVER had stepped foot on a ship. Any ship. Then came Castaway Cay. This is Disney's island paradise. Most everything there they've touched and purposely themed in some way. The whole place is so packed with little details, morsels of unimaginable eye candy. As a Disney fan out to appreciate what Disney creates, I'd have been totally remiss if I didn't at least walk out on the island and look around. Thank goodness I gave it a little try! The theming that is everywhere is beyond anything I've ever seen in a park or resort. You can stand still, look at something, and the longer you look more bits of detail jump out at you. It's incredible. Honestly, it's an idealistic island that drips of Disney magic without being cheezy or overdone. It's like the perfect interpretation. Then, once you see that water, it will call to you. You'll need to put at least your toes in just to see the beautiful white sand and crystal water. No need to worry. There's fresh water showers and foot washes on the sides of the restroom buildings. Easy peasy to find. There's a few bars, as well, that you can pull up in the shade to have something cool to drink. Go grab an ice cream at the ice cream station and wander around. Look at the shops. Ride a bike. Go climb the observation tower. Ride the tram loop all the way out to Serenity Bay. You can still do a lot without ever leaving the paved surface if sand is an irritation to ya.

Like Tammy said, of the 2 stops on a short 3-night cruise I would stay onboard at Nassau before I stayed onboard at Castaway Cay. As a Disney fan, the experience of Castaway Cay holds far more value than Nassau ever could. That's the biggest thing that comes to mind. And, like Chuck said, there will be waaaaay less scheduled activities onboard on Castaway day than on Nassau day. So, to maximize time onboard and enjoy more of what the Dream has to offer in the way of activity offerings, Nassau as a stay-aboard day is your best bet.

Now, go google pics of Castaway Cay!

Phonedave

Given a choice, I would stay on board at Nassau and go ashore for Castaway Cay, even if it is just for an hour or two. Castaway Cay is one of the items that makes DCL unique. Castaway Cay is also "easy on / easy off". There are no tenders on Castaway Cay, unlike other cruise lines. You walk off the ship and either take a 10 minute walk, or wait for a tram (which comes every few minutes) and then you are in the heart of Castaway Cay. Getting back on board is just as quick and easy. While Nassau is also a port where the ship docks directly, sometimes there is a line to go through the port offical to get back on.

Even if you don't plan to spend the day on Castaway Cay, at least get off the ship and walk around for a bit.

-dave

Last edited:

rufio

Original Poster
Hey girl! Have to admit, I read your post and was like ----> :jawdrop: Whaaaaaaa??????? :jawdrop: But then I try to imagine why you would even consider not stepping off at Castaway Cay. You must not be a beachy person. That's my best guess. I can totally identify with people who feel this way because for YEARS I was as anti-beach as I was anti-cruise. Beach = hot, dirt everywhere (which makes me insane), and salty water that makes me feel sticky all over and my hair crunchy. Um, no thanks. LOL! Just as it took Mickey to get me to try a cruise (and fall in love), it took Mickey to get me to return to the beach (and fall in love). As a Disney fan I wasn't really interested in cruising per se. I wanted to see for myself the amazing, beautiful, incredibly detailed ship(s) Disney had created. It was @Disneyfalcon 's TRs that grabbed my attention. If I'd never seen her report and incredible pics from the preview of the Dream I would NEVER had stepped foot on a ship. Any ship. Then came Castaway Cay. This is Disney's island paradise. Most everything there they've touched and purposely themed in some way. The whole place is so packed with little details, morsels of unimaginable eye candy. As a Disney fan out to appreciate what Disney creates, I'd have been totally remiss if I didn't at least walk out on the island and look around. Thank goodness I gave it a little try! The theming that is everywhere is beyond anything I've ever seen in a park or resort. You can stand still, look at something, and the longer you look more bits of detail jump out at you. It's incredible. Honestly, it's an idealistic island that drips of Disney magic without being cheezy or overdone. It's like the perfect interpretation. Then, once you see that water, it will call to you. You'll need to put at least your toes in just to see the beautiful white sand and crystal water. No need to worry. There's fresh water showers and foot washes on the sides of the restroom buildings. Easy peasy to find. There's a few bars, as well, that you can pull up in the shade to have something cool to drink. Go grab an ice cream at the ice cream station and wander around. Look at the shops. Ride a bike. Go climb the observation tower. Ride the tram loop all the way out to Serenity Bay. You can still do a lot without ever leaving the paved surface if sand is an irritation to ya.

Like Tammy said, of the 2 stops on a short 3-night cruise I would stay onboard at Nassau before I stayed onboard at Castaway Cay. As a Disney fan, the experience of Castaway Cay holds far more value than Nassau ever could. That's the biggest thing that comes to mind. And, like Chuck said, there will be waaaaay less scheduled activities onboard on Castaway day than on Nassau day. So, to maximize time onboard and enjoy more of what the Dream has to offer in the way of activity offerings, Nassau as a stay-aboard day is your best bet.

Now, go google pics of Castaway Cay!

You caught me! We aren't beach people. We lived five minutes from the beach for over two years and went to the beach twice in off season to walk the dogs... It's not that I don't like the sand or the water, I just don't care to go to the beach. But after all of you insisting, we will probably go ashore for at least a couple hours to look around.

We have to go to Nassau because DH is dying to swim with the dolphins! lol!

sweetpee_1993

Yep. After I got over the shock of such a thought it didn't take much for me to conclude you must not be beachy people. I can totally understand. I still don't consider myself a beach girl. I'm too picky for that. ;) Honest, I wouldn't suggest you at least go look around a little if I didn't think it was worthwhile. I look at the beautiful pristine beach pics in magazines and think, "Yeah, if only it was like that (perfect)." Castaway truly does achieve something above and beyond any beach I've ever seen. And I'm accustomed to some of what are described as the most beautiful (Northwest Florida Gulf). Even if y'all just go take a ride on the tram and grab a drink at the bar out at Pelican Point, its something fun to do. I never thought I'd enjoy a beach. At Castaway Cay, I truly do. And no, I'm not a lay-on-the-beach person. At all!

BTW, if you'd like to see and touch an old 20k Nautilus sub, there's one sunk out in the snorkel lagoon. You can snorkel out to it. Lots of hidden treasure out there to see! Aaaaaand, that's what got me hooked on snorkeling. LOL!

I swear, I have to be led around by the insatiable Disney geek in me to find stuff I really do like. LOL!

rufio

Original Poster
Yep. After I got over the shock of such a thought it didn't take much for me to conclude you must not be beachy people. I can totally understand. I still don't consider myself a beach girl. I'm too picky for that. ;) Honest, I wouldn't suggest you at least go look around a little if I didn't think it was worthwhile. I look at the beautiful pristine beach pics in magazines and think, "Yeah, if only it was like that (perfect)." Castaway truly does achieve something above and beyond any beach I've ever seen. And I'm accustomed to some of what are described as the most beautiful (Northwest Florida Gulf). Even if y'all just go take a ride on the tram and grab a drink at the bar out at Pelican Point, its something fun to do. I never thought I'd enjoy a beach. At Castaway Cay, I truly do. And no, I'm not a lay-on-the-beach person. At all!

BTW, if you'd like to see and touch an old 20k Nautilus sub, there's one sunk out in the snorkel lagoon. You can snorkel out to it. Lots of hidden treasure out there to see! Aaaaaand, that's what got me hooked on snorkeling. LOL!

Really? I'd read that had been removed! I may have to reevaluate...

sweetpee_1993

Really? I'd read that had been removed! I may have to reevaluate...
The Flying Dutchman used in the filming of POTC had to be towed off. It was rotting. The Nautilus is still there. When you go out in the lagoon look for the buoys. They mark the points of interest. If you want to find something specific swim over to a lifeguard stand out in the lagoon and ask. They'll point the good buoys out to ya!

jme

Just as it took Mickey to get me to try a cruise (and fall in love), it took Mickey to get me to return to the beach (and fall in love).

I also was not a beach person. I've been to Atlantic beaches pretty much every summer of my life and never really enjoyed the beach. The Gulf of Mexico wasn't much better for me either (although prettier). Then I went to Castaway Cay. There are hardly anything I would come close to calling a wave. It's like walking into a gigantic saltwater pool with crystal clear water and just gorgeous views everywhere. Also the drop off is almost non-existent at the adults only beach - you can walk in waist deep water for a few hundred feet out from the shoreline. It's truly amazing.
Not getting off the ship is one thing, but not getting off at Castaway is, for me, unthinkable. Nassau? Maybe for a brief walk around, or an excursion, but honestly I'd rather stay on board and enjoy the reduced crowds on the Aquaduck line.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know how you could pass up CC.

Do the stingray thing...
Do the snorkeling...
Go out and just ride bikes around...

The snorkeling doesn't match a rich ocean reef.. but it's not just lounging on the beach either.

The stingray encounter is very well done too

EOD K9

As everyone else has said, Castaway Cay is unique to Disney. With the ease of getting on and off, I'd at least look around. I am NOT a beach person in any way, shape, or form. However, my wife and I did the 5k Run, then hung out for a while. We went tubing. Hung out, ate lunch, then went snorkeling. I can confirm the Nautilus sub is still there as I was taking pics with it. Then we hung out some more. CC is one beach i will chillax on. The ship is very quiet and no one is around. If that's what you want, great, but the ship's services are limited.

ExRoadie

Try it, you'll like it!

I'm most certainly not a beach person but had a blast on Castaway Cay. We did the stingray feeding which was incredible. Mostly I parked myself on a lounge chair in the shade enjoying the view and an adult beverage or two. Lunch was terrific with the pineapple upside-down cake for the win.

MaryJaneP

Our 7 day eastern Carib I never left the boat except CC. Plenty to do on board, but I definitely wanted to see CC. If cruise was only 3 days, with no sea days, I might even rethink that.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
DH and I have a three night cruise booked in January - my first ever! Our stops are Nassau and Castaway Cay with no days at sea. Since it's only three nights we're considering staying on the ship instead of getting off at Castaway Cay. There doesn't seem to be a lot to do there and I feel like there will be so much to do onboard that we won't get a chance to do otherwise. Anyone here skip port adventures to stay on the ship? Or are we missing out?
We decided to stay on ship during Castaway Cay.

The advantage was...we pretty much had the whole boat to ourselves!

It was a very relaxing day.

Another option is just to skip excursions and just get off the boat for an hour or two to check out the port. If we do a cruise the in future and I don't find an excursion I'm interested in (this is looking to be the case for Nassau, but...I'm still shopping right now), then I wouldn't hesitate to skip a port day.

But, if you've never been to that port, it's probably worth a bit of time just to leave the ship for a stroll...and then come right back for on board fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom