Staying at POP and I'm concerned

rufio

Original Poster
I'll chime in. We just returned from a trip for F&W yesterday (10/5) and stayed at All Star Music for the first time. Now, I'll be honest--first we had never stayed at a "value" resort, opting to stay at moderates or better until we bought into DVC last year and have stayed at Bay Lake, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk in the last year. The couple we traveled with usually stay at one of the value resorts and we decided to save our points for some extra days at WDW with the kids next year, so booked at ASM.

My overall impression was underwhelming. I realize that it's more motel than Ritz, but it is still Disney and should have some of that magic associated with being at WDW. Our room smelled very strongly of cat urine and that issue was never fixed. Our fridge door wouldn't stay closed so the refrigerator wouldn't stay cold and that wasn't fixed either (called front desk for both of those issues). I'll freely admit I am used to some luxury and was surprised at the small things I have come to expect that weren't there: coffee maker in the room, shower gel, decent towels, absence of thick dust on top of the entertainment center.... Add that to the lack of consideration that many guests showed other guests I don't think we will choose a value resort again.

I agree with you. I can't believe they don't put coffee makers in the room. Buying my coffee every morning got old really quickly. And yes, the towels were pretty crappy.

Capsin4

If you stay at value resorts regularly, please know I'm not trying to offend! Just wanted to get that out of the way immediately!

Okay, so I've never stayed at a value resort. The first time I went to WDW I stayed at Coronado Springs and every other time I've stayed at a deluxe resort as a DVC member. We booked a last minute trip and the only thing available was Pop Century. I was recently reading a post elsewhere about value vs. deluxe being apples to oranges and how many DVC members would "never stay in a value again!!!1!!" We're a little worried now about staying at Pop Century. I know it won't be awful, but I have a thing about hotels and I get really freaked out pretty easily about certain things including cleanliness. I'd love to hear from people who have switched back and forth between deluxe and value resorts! Please set my mind at ease!!

We've stayed on property several times and Pop is the only value we've stayed at. When we stayed at our first moderate, I was worried I would feel like I wasn't in the magic. I was wrong and we started staying in mods regularly. Last year we took some fo the kids friends with us so we down graded to pop. I was worried the trip would bea disaster and I was wrong again. My wife and I stayed at POP last month on a quick adults only tryp and are ok with it. I'll give my opinion on what I see as the differences in what matters to us.

THEMING and AMENITIES: Sure pop is a "motel" type resort, but we didn't find the theming tacky like some. maybe qutesy, but still nice enough to feel different. Pools are nothing special, but the kids didn't care. We enjoy eating at places other than our own resort so dining isn't a problem. The food court was good for what we wanted on site. We don't spend much time at the resort for this to matter at all. While it's basic, I didn't feel outside the magic.

TRANSPORTATION: This was great. Best bus experiences at any resort we've stayed at on both stays here. Some people will say Delux resorts are more convenient, but it totally depends on your plans. In terms of total distance to the 4 parks, POP is average while GF, POLY, CR and WL are the worst. If you plan to be at one or two parks, then maybe it matters. If you hate buses, maybe it matters. The biggest convenience IMO isn't location, but dedicated buses, which POP has and more than a couple deluxes lack. Pop also has lines for the buses at the resort rather than a general gathreing area...just like at the parks on the way home. Some say it's because of the rowdy guests, but I don't buy it and I actually like it a lot.

ROOMs: This'll be the hardest to swallow. Very plain rooms. Very roadside motel tile in the bathrooms. Framed posters for decor. The biggest issue I have with POP are the somewhat comfortable double beds. If you're fitting two adults in one, you'll get some rest, maybe rest well, but it will not be the best. We've never had an issue with cleanliness, but be prepared for plainness.

All in all, we find POP to be BASIC, but still FUN. We've never felt like we were missing out on something. Given that deluxes go for $300+ more per night, it's hard to justify anymore although the queens in the mods are still a consdeiration. Good luck and ejnoy! A day at Disney at POP is a day at Disney!

rufio

Original Poster
I'm staying at POP in April and even I'm concerned after reading some of these comments (and I've never been to Disney before!)

If you haven't been spoiled by the moderate or deluxe resorts, maybe you'll be okay. But I'm a clean freak and can't handle anything not being spotless in a hotel room.

Myamos

If you stay at value resorts regularly, please know I'm not trying to offend! Just wanted to get that out of the way immediately!

Okay, so I've never stayed at a value resort. The first time I went to WDW I stayed at Coronado Springs and every other time I've stayed at a deluxe resort as a DVC member. We booked a last minute trip and the only thing available was Pop Century. I was recently reading a post elsewhere about value vs. deluxe being apples to oranges and how many DVC members would "never stay in a value again!!!1!!" We're a little worried now about staying at Pop Century. I know it won't be awful, but I have a thing about hotels and I get really freaked out pretty easily about certain things including cleanliness. I'd love to hear from people who have switched back and forth between deluxe and value resorts! Please set my mind at ease!!
We stayed a couple years ago at POP, the next at Caribbean Beach and last year at the Poly. My main hotel freak out is I hate "motel" style rooms that open to a parking lot rather than an inner hotel corridor. That being said, I felt perfectly safe at POP- not too much foot traffic past the room, etc. I preferred POP over CRB mainly due to the bus situation. IMO that's the best thing about POP- a dedicated bus with only one stop. In terms of room size and amenities, no, it didn't stack up to the Poly, but our family can't afford that vacation every year! We typically stay at the parks all day, every day so for us it's just a place to lay our head and get a snack. Try it out and see what you think. It's not a dive, but not a spacious palace either. For me, the magic of Disney is in the parks anyway.

Myamos

I'm a topic hijacker, but I was considering bringing my own coffee maker when we stay there in Nov. and heard that it's a no no for fire reasons or some such - is this something people have been able to do regularly without a problem? Thanks :)
Oh, I was planning on bringing my Keurig- is that not OK?

lilclerk

Thanks for the review! :)

We just got back late last night from POP and we didn't love it, unfortunately. We'll definitely be staying at DVC resorts every time in the future - moderates if we can't get a room in time. Our room was not that clean. I have a real issue with needing spotless sheets (not a lot to ask, honestly) and every time they changed our sheets there were black and orange marks on them. How hard is it to keep sheets white with bleach? The rest of the main room space was okay but there was what I can only assume was poop on the outside of the toilet bowl. Found it at night and my husband was willing to take one for the team and clean it off while I had a minor germaphobe panic attack. The food court was fine but we didn't spend a lot of time there.
Wow, so sorry to hear! We just got back from a 2 week stay on Tuesday night and we thought the room was cleaned exceptionally well. Just the luck of the draw I guess =\ I was super worried about finding bugs/critters in the room since we were on the ground floor, but found nothing (and trust me, I checked thoroughly!) There was one night we heard some noise from the nearby pool (we were right behind the jukebox in the 50s) but it was just the one night.

Our biggest complaint was also the sheets, but not their cleanliness. They were so loud! So much swishing every time one of us moved, we didn't sleep very well the first few nights.

SSH

Wow...really surprised and disappointed to hear about some of the cleanliness issues - cleanliness was always a hallmark of WDW. But also appreciate people sharing their experiences. We've stayed at POP about 6-8 times in the past decade (as recently as Dec 2013) and music/movies several other times...rooms were always super clean, as were the sheets. (I do agree about the thin walls, (those toilets in the next room can be LOUD at 1am or 6am :) but we don't do dining plans and just drive up, so I love the savings.

For us, I'd rather use the extra cash to plan other short getaways I can look forward to months after we leave the World...the Keys, a cruise, etc. I'd hate to splurge on one WDW trip then feel huge post-trip depression because that was "it" for the year. But if budget were no issue? GF...here I come! :)

I also wonder if it has anything to do with peak vs off-peak times affecting that "luck of the draw" someone mentioned? Like maybe during peak times, supervisors are putting extra pressure on maids to turn rooms over faster; not giving them the chance to clean thoroughly? When a resort is sold out and guests are clamoring for clean rooms or early check ins, the resort may be taking shortcuts to accommodate.

Just one thing to consider that I didn't see mentioned yet: for those on budgets who are feeling that offsite is better for them because they drive anyway - just remember that you'll be paying $15/day in WDW parking fees, unless you get free parking. Plus, many Orlando hotels have daily resort fees and parking fees that really add up.

Dwarful

If you haven't been spoiled by the moderate or deluxe resorts, maybe you'll be okay. But I'm a clean freak and can't handle anything not being spotless in a hotel room.

I'm a clean freak too. I bring a container of Clorox wipes and clean EVERYTHING before we bring anything into our room. The worst rooms we have stayed in were Yacht Club....broken lamp, broken fridge door, mold in the bathroom, and dirty towels on the balcony. Mousekeeping came in after the bellman called the front desk...but still, it wasn't the best room we stayed at. BUT we have also had a great room at that resort.

Our second worst room was Port Orleans and it had major plumbing issues before we arrived. Carpet was wet, damp and moldy smelling. Other room was nice, clean and new.

I think it now depends on the mousekeepers to room standards....rooms can be clean or dirty at all three levels. I also think if a resort has a big discount and has more rooms booked it impacts the cleanliness...it shouldn't but that has been our experience.

I will say Yacht or Boardwalk are our first choices. But if I am on a short trip I don't mind a stay at Pop or Art because those trips we are usually park focused and not resort/relaxation focused. Different mindset different resort.

rufio

Original Poster
I'm a clean freak too. I bring a container of Clorox wipes and clean EVERYTHING before we bring anything into our room. The worst rooms we have stayed in were Yacht Club....broken lamp, broken fridge door, mold in the bathroom, and dirty towels on the balcony. Mousekeeping came in after the bellman called the front desk...but still, it wasn't the best room we stayed at. BUT we have also had a great room at that resort.

Our second worst room was Port Orleans and it had major plumbing issues before we arrived. Carpet was wet, damp and moldy smelling. Other room was nice, clean and new.

I think it now depends on the mousekeepers to room standards....rooms can be clean or dirty at all three levels. I also think if a resort has a big discount and has more rooms booked it impacts the cleanliness...it shouldn't but that has been our experience.

I will say Yacht or Boardwalk are our first choices. But if I am on a short trip I don't mind a stay at Pop or Art because those trips we are usually park focused and not resort/relaxation focused. Different mindset different resort.

That's really surprising! We're DVC members and we've stayed at Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, Bay Lake Tower, and Animal Kingdom Villas. I've always felt so comfortable in all of the deluxe resorts I've stayed in. I really hope I never have that kind of an experience. :( I'm staying at the Boardwalk in December.

Dwarful

We haven't had any trouble at OKW. The trouble at YC was back in '09 and the trouble at PORS was in '12. PORS they had to move us to a different resort, that resort was full of Brazilian tour groups and we were staying 14 nights so they couldn't accommodate our family of 5 for the whole trip without multiple moves.

While these experiences were disappointing, they haven't kept us from returning. Now, if we start to see multiple experiences of similar situations then yes, we probably will remove those resort choices.

Magenta Panther

I've stayed at Pop three times, and I have never encountered any cleanliness issues, FWIW. I've stayed at All-Star Movies too, and it seemed clean enough. But I wouldn't stay there again - too garish. Reminded me too much of the old Nickelodeon suites near Universal. AGGGHHHH...

JohnD

I agree with you. I can't believe they don't put coffee makers in the room. Buying my coffee every morning got old really quickly. And yes, the towels were pretty crappy.

Staying at POP 10/19-25. Confirming whether there are coffee makers and/or refrigerators in the rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom