Stay Away From Orlando Airport At 10pm

GymLeaderPhil

Original Poster
From the Consumerist.com:

Attention World: Stay the $%#@ away from Orlando International Airport at 10pm! According to the brand new numbers from the Department of Transportation's Air Travel Consumer Report, flights scheduled to depart from 10pm-11pm at Orlando's airport are on-time only 33.3% of the time. Yes, if you leave Orlando International Airport from 10-11pm, you have a 2 out 3 chance of being late. Don't risk it.
The Worst Times And Places To Fly:

DEPARTURES:
1. Orlando International Airport 10:00 -10:59 PM 33.3%
2. Atlanta International Airport 9:00 - 9:59 PM 35.2%
3. Chicago Midway Airport 8:00 - 8:59 PM 35.4%
4. Atlanta International Airport 8:00 - 8:59 PM 36.3%
5. JFK International Airport, NYC 7:00 - 7:59 PM 37.2%
ARRIVALS:
1. JFK International Airport, NYC 6:00 - 6:59 PM 37.8%
2. Atlanta International Airport 8:00 - 8:59 PM 40.6%
3: LaGuardia Airport, NYC 10:00 - 10:59 PM 41.8%
4. Baltimore Washington International Airport 6:00 - 6:59 AM 42.6%
5. Miami International Airport 11:00 - 5:59 AM 43.8%

And just for good measure, here are some specific flights that were never on time in August. Never. Not once.
  • Atlantic Southeast Airlines 5:50 PM 4361: Alexandria International Airport, LA - Atlanta International Airport
  • Atlantic Southeast Airlines 8:04 PM 4530: Atlanta International Airport - Hilton Head Island Airport, SC
Atlantic Southeast also lead all airlines in regularly scheduled flights late 70% of the time or more with 16.7%. The next closest was Comair with 6.4%

CAPTAIN HOOK

Sems quite an obvious fact - if flights early on in the day get delayed then these delays will be "passed on" throughout the day as the earlier flights fight for new time slots and those leaving later on at night will miss their original slots and thus be delayed :hammer:

Phonedave

Sems quite an obvious fact - if flights early on in the day get delayed then these delays will be "passed on" throughout the day as the earlier flights fight for new time slots and those leaving later on at night will miss their original slots and thus be delayed :hammer:

Makes sense to me. I try not to take the last flight out anyway. That way if all flights are delayed, there is a chance you can get on an earlier flight that is now leaving later, but still earlier than your late flight which is now even later, or perhaps even cancelled. :confused: Heh, it made sense to me :)

-dave

Rob562

How many flights leave Orlando after 10pm anyway?

According to the MCO website, there are 22 flights scheduled to depart at or after 10PM tomorrow night (Friday). 70% of those are before 11. Flights then start departing again at 6AM.

10 are Southwest, 3 are JetBlue, 3 are Spirit, 2 are Continental, and 1 each of US Airways, Midwest, AirTran and USA 3000.

As for tonight, the only flight still on the status board is a 12:35 JetBlue to Aguadilla, and it's running an hour late. :)

-Rob

BRER STITCH

I don;t mean to threadjack or anything, but does anyone know why more domestic airlines don't fly over night hours?

Lack of business?....or lack of airlines willing to operate overnight?

Just curious.

:shrug:

A few things go into that, a lot of airports have "curfews" where aircraft cannot arrive or depart. The hours vary by airport but they are mainly based on complaints because of excessive noise overnight.

There are actually quite a few (not as many as during the day) redeye flights, where they leave around midnight out west and get here (east) in the early morning. When the curfews are lifted.

And I guess the main reason is who wants to go to the airport at 2 in the morning, stand in security line til 3 or 4 am and then fly for two hours only to get there before anything opens at 9am. I think the biggest thing is what you mentioned. It is not feasable, financially, for the airlines

Alec

CAPTAIN HOOK

The financial aspect is a major consideration. However, in the UK its due to the noise made by the aircraft when most people are trying to sleep

cloudboy

Red eye flights aren't particularly popular unless they leave late at night and get in early in the morning. Most flying in the US is rarely over three hours or so - making red eye flights pretty unpopular, as you would have o either leave or arrive at some really god awful time in the morning. But you can find quite a few in the trans con routes. There is a growing popularity, though, of evening flights, which may leave in the evening and get in a little after midnight or so.

BRER STITCH

There is a growing popularity, though, of evening flights, which may leave in the evening and get in a little after midnight or so.

Those are the ones I'm talking about!

How nice it would be to get a FULL day out of your last day at WDW, for example, by not having to leave to go to the airport until around 9PM for your 11PM flight, getting you back home around 1-2AM!

Often there is not enough choice to even leave after work from my airport, which I would do. I'd gladly take a 9 o'clock flight to Orlando the night before just to get there if one was available. Most of the last flights to Orlando from here are around 6-7PM at the latest. I'd have to leave work early to catch most of them.

I'm seeing the most likely answer so far involves the noise pollution late night flights would cause for neighbors. I hadn't thought of that...and I live on a flight path! :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom