News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Maeryk

I can't see them letting people tour it. Even some of the deluxe lobbies can feel overrun by all of the crowds they attract from the POV of a guest staying there. This would be a whole other level

My feeling as well. I'm not sure if you can just pop over to Hedonism II or wherever, and say "Hey, mind if I wander around for a few hours, mebbe eat in your restaurant, etc? I just want to see what it's like". I'm sure they'll have a video package put together, and possibly even a "Display room" somewhere, so people can look, but I doubt it will be inside the envelope.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A giant vader that doesn't move, with strobes on him? :)

I think launch bay was/is meant to be temporary, only ever a stopgap till GE got built.

That IP is a license to print money. Has been since Lucas convinced us to buy a cardboard box with an IOU for a toy in it.

The problem with Launch Bay was its cynical mindset in that Star Wars fans would accept anything as long as Disney Promised to buiid a SWL.

Look at the execution of the BAH vs launch bay. BAH had all the Disney details and was supposed to be a ONE YEAR thing. Launch Bay compares unfavorably to a pop up store ans its supposed to be there 5-8 years....

Mindset is very different

Maeryk

The problem with Launch Bay was its cynical mindset in that Star Wars fans would accept anything as long as Disney Promised to buiid a SWL.

Look at the execution of the BAH vs launch bay. BAH had all the Disney details and was supposed to be a ONE YEAR thing. Launch Bay compares unfavorably to a pop up store ans its supposed to be there 5-8 years....

Mindset is very different

Hmm.. I don't know about that.. I think Launch Bay was just the logical place to install a couple of meet and greets, and display memorabilia. That's all. I don't ever think it was meant to be anything more than that. Once the characters can free roam in the new section, I'm sure it will be converted over to something else that is current. The fact that they made no changes to it internally or externally, other than cosmetic wraps and banners, and a bit of paint, reinforces that belief.

I'm lost on BAH? what's that?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hmm.. I don't know about that.. I think Launch Bay was just the logical place to install a couple of meet and greets, and display memorabilia. That's all. I don't ever think it was meant to be anything more than that. Once the characters can free roam in the new section, I'm sure it will be converted over to something else that is current. The fact that they made no changes to it internally or externally, other than cosmetic wraps and banners, and a bit of paint, reinforces that belief.

I'm lost on BAH? what's that?

The giant hat that once existed at DHS its generally referred to here as the BAH

jakeman

Hmm.. I don't know about that.. I think Launch Bay was just the logical place to install a couple of meet and greets, and display memorabilia. That's all. I don't ever think it was meant to be anything more than that.
That's a fairly accurate assessment, but they could have done a better job. Especially since they probably had an idea of how long it would be around. On the other hand, it's probably not the damning indictment of the quality of Star Ward Land that @ford91exploder hopes it will be.
Ahh. LOL. Okay. Not sure what "all disney details" were.. it was a big hat.. that occasionally sparkled.
It had a pin store underneath it.

There were no more "Disney details" in the hat than there were in the wand. Both were temporary promotions that stayed on well past their expiration date.

Maeryk

That's a fairly accurate assessment, but they could have done a better job. Especially since they probably had an idea of how long it would be around. On the other hand, it's probably not the damning indictment of the quality of Star Ward Land that @ford91exploder hopes it will be.

It had a pin store underneath it.

There were no more "Disney details" in the hat than there were in the wand. Both were temporary promotions that stayed on well past their expiration date.

World's biggest Fantasia billboard.

RSoxNo1

Not when they only try to one up each other with who's park has the biggest film franchise in it.

To bad they never try to one up each other on who has the cheapest tickets.
I absolutely want a healthy blend of IP vs original concepts, but seeing as neither company is doing that right now I want the best IP attractions in both parks. The source material should be irrelevant if the quality is there.

njDizFan

Agree. I've never heard of SW fandom starting at 9-10 years old before reading this thread. Not now, and not when the originals came out. Even more so today as now it's so passionately shared between the 2 generations.

And really, does it matter if a 6 year old comprehends every single nuance of the storyline? I mean-- light sabers, tie fighters, the millennium falcon, good vs evil.. what's not for a kid to love?lol
Again, thanks for the passive aggressive response to other people's posts and then using hyperbole, misrepresentation and opinion as a basis for facts...lol

Dapper Dan

I absolutely want a healthy blend of IP vs original concepts, but seeing as neither company is doing that right now I want the best IP attractions in both parks. The source material should be irrelevant if the quality is there.
I agree that film IP attractions can work when done the right way, but when that film is incongruous with the theme of the area in which its attraction is placed, it diminishes the quality of both the attraction and the area.

21stamps

Again, thanks for the passive aggressive response to other people's posts and then using hyperbole, misrepresentation and opinion as a basis for facts...lol

I actually wasn't being passive aggressive at all. Just commenting on my experience and opinions

Texas84

Why not have different experiences? One week have a fully immersive fake cruise, next week a kid-friendly fake cruise, and the next week a just chill fake cruise where you can explore and hang out at the space bar?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why not have different experiences? One week have a fully immersive fake cruise, next week a kid-friendly fake cruise, and the next week a just chill fake cruise where you can explore and hang out at the space bar?

They are already doing that... the second one is called Star Wars:Galaxy's Edge :)

doctornick

And lest they forget...... nearly everything Disney does in the Chapek age is about moving merchandise. No way there's an age limit unless it's something absurd like 2.

"Children's" tickets and prices at the buffets, etc start at 3 years old at Disney. I think they could reasonably put a 3 and up limit for this resort which would be consistent with the demarcation they have throughout the resort. That would keep out crying infants who wouldn't be able to participate in anything.

That said, I wouldn't bring a 3 year old into this kind of experience just based on the value of what they'd get versus the cost (just take 'em to SW:GE and meet Chewbacca) but age 5 or 6 and up, sure.

doctornick

Listen I know it has a huge fanbase but for the under 8 crowd I have not seen it as a big draw at Halloween or in schools(backpacks etc.). Much more at that age I am seeing Marvel and TMNT. Honestly, do you think a 5 year old should watch the SW movies, and would they really comprehend what is happening? If the answer is no to either then why not let your kid wait...what's the rush?

I took my (then) 5 year old to see The Force Awakens and didn't have any qualms about it. Heck, he had already seen all of the other SW movies by that point in his life and had watched a bunch of The Clone Wars animated series.

And I don't know what school you are at, but Star Wars is by far and away the most popular IP among grammar school boys in my experience. The number of Star Wars themed birthday parties I've been to dwarfs the amount of any other theme and Star Wars is pretty consistently the biggest costume theme for Halloween.

I feel much more comfortable having my boys watch Star Wars than most superhero movies.

I agree that the Common sense guide is a good tool, and I agree with their assessment that 10 YO is a good age. Obviously parents let their kids watch things that may or may not be appropriate based upon their own predilictions and opinion and that is their right. Just like in my opinion the SW franchise is designed for the 10 plus crowd. Based upon theme and subject matter alone. There's no need to rush kids into more adult themes only to keep up with other kids who have watched it or because as a parent you want to see it.

Honestly, what "theme" or "subject matter" are you talking about that is adult in Star Wars? It's space monks using laser swords to defeat obvious bad guys. It's basically aimed at a 5 year old mindset.

mhaftman7

I've been thinking about this and I don't think much information, if any, will be released until the 11th hour. If it is in fact a 100% immersive environment, it is going to be a logistical nightmare. For every "group", i.e. Rebel, Empire/First Order, Bounty Hunter, etc., there is going to have to be a separate lobby plus one. You'll have the check in lobby plus each group lobby. Which means you'll have to have "group" specific restaurants that are separated from sight. While it is a great concept, I can't wait to see how it plays out. Multiple buildings? Maybe like All Star Resorts but deluxe. Galaxies Edge: Light, Galaxies Edge: Dark, and Galaxies Edge: Bounty. Lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom