Star Wars: Rogue One

DarthMileZ

108426.png

108429.png

TyTrap

I'm wondering if the plans to the Death Star will be in that hologram projector device like they were in episode II

Jahona

A guy who brutally murdered a bunch of children is supposed to be kid friendly? That's the sort of comment that worries me about Disney's ownership.

Yeah the comment puzzled me as well. In Star Wars Rebels Vader is a complete boss. He is causes fear and menace.

Also it might have been the entire movie was to dark but Vader was a foot note in it.

doctornick

A guy who brutally murdered a bunch of children is supposed to be kid friendly? That's the sort of comment that worries me about Disney's ownership.

Well, Ep III is easily the least "kid friendly" of all the Star Wars movies and the Anakin killing the children scene is the main reason. It really sticks out as being far different than the vibe of the rest of the series. If I ran Disney, I would avoid having anything that intense in a film going forward.

That said, if they are going to seek different tones, it's far better to do it in the anthology films and advertise them as such than to do it in the main trilogy being produced.

Edit: From reading up on the topic, it sounds like the idea that the re-shoots are due to a "too dark" tone are just guesses. The original source of the re-shoot rumor did not indicate the reason behind it occurring. It might just be that the executives didn't think the film was that good.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, Ep III is easily the least "kid friendly" of all the Star Wars movies and the Anakin killing the children scene is the main reason. It really sticks out as being far different than the vibe of the rest of the series. If I ran Disney, I would avoid having anything that intense in a film going forward.

That said, if they are going to seek different tones, it's far better to do it in the anthology films and advertise them as such than to do it in the main trilogy being produced.

Edit: From reading up on the topic, it sounds like the idea that the re-shoots are due to a "too dark" tone are just guesses. The original source of the re-shoot rumor did not indicate the reason behind it occurring. It might just be that the executives didn't think the film was that good.
It is also worth noting that re-shoots are pretty common. The Avengers, Jaws, ET, Thor, Blade Runner, Back to the Future, and several of the Potter films all had re-shoots just to name a few.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Disney is saying they already had this time blocked for reshoot a if needed.

They are problem by looking for a similar darkness to other Star Wars movies. If is gets too dark they could be looking at R instead of PG13

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

I will keep my response in line with the standard of this message board... This news clearly means that Force Awakens was a flash in the pan and that Disney doesn't have clue how to handle Star Wars going forward. This and all future Star Wars movies will clearly be canceled and Disney will be looking to sell off Lucasfilm. Maybe Comcast/Universal will pick it up, they could easily have Star Wars land open in the next 2 years. ;) ;)

TyTrap

Here's my stance on this, Disney's film division should just let Lucasfilm make the movie they want to make. Yes I understand Disney wants this to appeal to everyone so that way box office numbers will be huge and everyone will buy the toys. they are trying to make these "Star Wars Story" films just as financially successful as the main trilogy ones. I feel they should loosen the reins on the writers and creative minds behind the spin offs because these movies should feel different from the main continuity. They need to take a chance and see how it goes and if it doesn't work then go back to the formula that works.

doctornick

Here's my stance on this, Disney's film division should just let Lucasfilm make the movie they want to make. Yes I understand Disney wants this to appeal to everyone so that way box office numbers will be huge and everyone will buy the toys. they are trying to make these "Star Wars Story" films just as financially successful as the main trilogy ones. I feel they should loosen the reins on the writers and creative minds behind the spin offs because these movies should feel different from the main continuity. They need to take a chance and see how it goes and if it doesn't work then go back to the formula that works.

Not for nothing, but who says Disney isn't letting Lucasfilm make its own film? Even if (some of) the reshoots are due to the film being "too dark", that might very well be Kennedy's decision (or someone else in Lucasfilm) as opposed to Alan Horn or Iger making that call. I'm under the impression that Kennedy runs Lucasfilm fairly independently from the rest of the company.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
if is gets too dark they could be looking at R instead of PG13

Without following this story really at all, that is what first entered my mind. Maybe they are worried about it getting an R rating in its current state? Again, as I have not been following this closely, I may be totally off base.

TyTrap

Not for nothing, but who says Disney isn't letting Lucasfilm make its own film? Even if (some of) the reshoots are due to the film being "too dark", that might very well be Kennedy's decision (or someone else in Lucasfilm) as opposed to Alan Horn or Iger making that call. I'm under the impression that Kennedy runs Lucasfilm fairly independently from the rest of the company.
The buck stops with Disney. They aren't going to let one of their big money making franchises be "mishandled" they want a movie that is not only profitable at the box office but also one that allows kids to enjoy it to which equals more money for them in toy sales. I would love for them to slap an R rating on this and release it to test out its success but they won't take that risk.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots

In what may reassure fans, reshoots were scheduled for the film before even a single scene was shot. It’s standard practice now for large-scale films to build in additional weeks of shooting so filmmakers can tweak a movie after the first assembly cut.

Those reshoots were originally planned for the spring, but were bumped to mid-summer to allow for extra time as director Gareth Edwards and the creative team decided what they wanted to alter. “The changes have everything to do with clarity and character development and all take place [as inserts] within scenes we’ve already shot,” said one source on the project.

In other words, the changes involve more intimate moments – not redoing entire battle sequences or plot lines. “It’s a lot of talking in cockpits,” as one insider described the new footage.

erasure fan1

It really doesn't worry me that they are doing re-shoots. I might actually be more worried if they didn't do any. When you do anything creative, everything doesn't always gel and you have to go back and tweak things to make it flow better. Weather its making music, painting a picture or making a movie, going back often makes for a better end product. Now if they are still doing re-shoots 3 months from now, then start to worry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom