Star Wars Original Trilogy Original Cut Re-Release?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Take this with a HUGE grain of salt, but there are reports that we'll be getting the Star Wars trilogy without all the nonsense that Lucas added over the years.

This wouldn't surprise me at all, and reason to sell the fans another edition of the films. Of course this brings up the question exactly which version they will release. Some people don't realize that Empire was altered while it was still in theaters and of course A New Hope was altered to include the "Episode 4" designation when it was re-released. So the films were being altered even before the special editions.

G00fyDad

Still, it would be nice to see Return of the Jedi untainted by Hayden's ghost.

praising-the-lord-smiley-emoticon.gif

Monkee Girl

I would definitely be very happy about this. I love on the fear that my VHS player is on borrowed time. It's still works good as new and all that but stuff happens :cry:. I think the only two things I liked about the special editions were the FX added to Cloud City to make it look more like a city and the new Ewok Celebration music. however, I am perfectly happy to give up both to have the originals on DVD/Blu Ray.

Monkee Girl

Wouldn't Fox own the rights to the movies? Would Disney be able to distribute them?

I am sure they would have to work out some sort of agreement. Because if that is the case, wouldn't Fox need the rights to distribute if Disney owned the franchise? so either way, the two companies would need to play nice so that both can get what they want. Of course, I could be completely wrong on all of that. However, I honestly can't see Fox saying 'no' if it meant more money for them.

Matt_Black

Original Poster
Indeed. And, while not always having the best working relationship (see- Marvel film rights), they can play nice and work together (see- Avatarland).

TB4244

At long last. I've refused to buy the blu-ray releases because I couldn't stand any more messed with 'Special Editions'. All I have ever wanted was the original theatrical versions as they were when I first watched them in the cinema as a kid. So no extra aliens, no CG tentacles and definitely no song and dance routines - is that so much to ask for?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wouldn't Fox own the rights to the movies? Would Disney be able to distribute them?

Fox owns the distribution rights to A New Hope in perpetuity, and the rights to the other 5 until May 2020, so if Disney wants to distribute new versions of the films they would have to have an agreement with Fox.

BrerJon

This wouldn't surprise me at all, and reason to sell the fans another edition of the films. Of course this brings up the question exactly which version they will release. Some people don't realize that Empire was altered while it was still in theaters and of course A New Hope was altered to include the "Episode 4" designation when it was re-released. So the films were being altered even before the special editions.

Many people who talk about 'original' Star Wars don't seem to realise that what they saw as kids probably wasn't the same as what folks across the country saw, and that wasn't the same as what ended up on VHS. Lucas was tinkering all through the release with different prints. Mainly with sound changes, but there were a few shot where wipes were added, bits were chopped out, but nothing anyone would notice.

From day one Star Wars has been a project that's always been worked on and never finished.

Matt_Black

Original Poster
Many people who talk about 'original' Star Wars don't seem to realise that what they saw as kids probably wasn't the same as what folks across the country saw, and that wasn't the same as what ended up on VHS. Lucas was tinkering all through the release with different prints. Mainly with sound changes, but there were a few shot where wipes were added, bits were chopped out, but nothing anyone would notice.

From day one Star Wars has been a project that's always been worked on and never finished.

Well, when people say "original", what they mean is "without all the self-indulgent stuff Lucas added in over the years". We want to be able to pause during the X-Wing scene and see a sneaker. We don't want gratuitous CGI effects.

prberk

As for the studios working together, people may not realize that they do that all the time, especially AT the studios, where they lease out space to each other all the time. Other studios lease out the Disney studio production facilities (including Golden Oak Ranch) all the time, and vice versa. To know this it true all you have to do is visit Los Angeles and go to a studio taping for a Disney show. Most of them are not taped at WD Studios. And again, vice versa.

They all work together, but they simply pay the right fee to get that cooperation -- and also know that each might have something the other needs down the road, so it is always a good idea to let the "competition" be on the surface but to make the deals when necessary.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am one of the silent SW fans that could care less about the original cuts of the film ever making it to Blu Ray.

I have the originals on VHS and if I was so jazzed about watching them I could plug them in or have them transferred to disk or digital.

erasure fan1

I am one of the silent SW fans that could care less about the original cuts of the film ever making it to Blu Ray.

I have the originals on VHS and if I was so jazzed about watching them I could plug them in or have them transferred to disk or digital.
Part of me feels the same way. I have bought the trilogy too many times for me to pick it up if it comes out. I have the laser discs if I really want to watch it. Now when they finally finish EP IX then I will want the Blu-Ray set of all the movies with the originals untouched.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom