1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Land Construction Progress / Specifics

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by BrianLo, Feb 28, 2016.

1. The Mur

The Mur Member

Always entertaining to listen to these guys.

2. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

I'm risking a demerit from the thread police here because this involves boat rides (longer than 4 minutes) and lands that are not Star Wars, but...

Our favorite lady blogger just posted a new video late tonight, taken Tuesday late afternoon from Frontierland and Critter Country showing off the progress on the Rivers of America and all-new Disneyland Railroad berm...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Stevek, egg, Vinmann and 3 others like this.
  3. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

And then to bring this firmly back OT, here's a second video from our favorite lady blogger taken from the parking structure on Tuesday evening. Most of the construction crews have gone home, but you can still chart the progress happening every day at this huge site.

ctrlaltdel, phruby and DarthFiscus75 like this.
  4. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

I don't care much for the company Fresh baked keeps, but I kinda like his sheer innocence and excitement.

britain likes this.
  5. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

It's like listening to a bunch of geeks bleating.

DarthFiscus75 likes this.
  6. Curious Constance

Geeks would never be that clueless.

DarthFiscus75 likes this.
  7. Evan-500

Evan-500 Well-Known Member

The level of progress since the last update is astounding! Those weird rock structures along the river really confused me, but they look so much better painted! They are really getting the areas closer to water finished up, and fast.

8. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

The geek shall inherit the Land.

9. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

But the soccer mom inherits the world.

Stevek and DarthFiscus75 like this.
  10. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member Original Poster

From a Bloomberg Article...

Two big takeaways I had - the MF does sound truly 'controllable' from what the writer describes. I imagine people are bumped back onto course, but we aren't talking Mission Space here where what you do poorly actually doesn't translate to what is happening.

The second is mention of lots of alien and beast animatronics. I feel like the land will be well populated with them akin to Diagon Alley. I know people scoff at the suggestions that a land can be an attraction, but if it features animatronics and narrative plots/missions, does an attraction truly require a ride vehicle to be considered an attraction?

TP2000, egg, hpyhnt 1000 and 8 others like this.
  11. Curious Constance

IMG_0572.JPG View attachment 200384
    Hans sent me that article earlier, it was a really good one. It truly gives you a feeling that they are going all in with Star Wars Land. It mentioned the alien that's going to be the cook at the Cantina. THE COOK!!! This is going to be awesome.

I'm hoping for Dexter

12. Evan-500

In that case do not ride with me, I am dreadful with videogame like controls and will likely crash us within 30 seconds... But then we can all sit in the dark and contemplate your captain's life failures... Or maybe if you crash and die they can sync you up to a live feed from the hell room in Toads?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 4:33 PM
  13. DDLand

DDLand Well-Known Member

Yeah, the question is how? Is this going to be almost a video game like Experience? How extensive is this? Is it a sandbox, or is there an assigned route and you can move it within perimeters? So many questions! Also the targeting of the other 5 people is another thing. What are you going to be up to? Exciting!

This is what I've talked about too, Story Engine is attraction 3. It's one thing if those characters are walking around, it's another thing if one comes up to you and knows your name and what you've been up to. You could conceivably spend days in Star Wars Experience using Story Engine. I expect a plentitude of APs to basically get addicted to Story Engine...

HaHaHa. Imagine if you went on single rider, were assigned Captain, and then you were an awful pilot. Apparently you can't die but you can fail big time.

Awkward...:banghead::facepalm: :hilarious:

Cesar R M and Mike S like this.
  14. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member Original Poster

I can guarantee the attraction won't be lost at any point. More like bowling with the bumper rails up.

Although there is certainly a possibility to go different places or directions with this design. Hard to say if it takes the star tours route with that regard.

Mike S likes this.
  15. Evan-500

I don't think you understand... I always somehow find a way to do the thing you're not supposed to be able to do... Back in middle school I played Halo with a friend and got stuck facing a wall and couldn't move.... When I was a kid I was on go-karts and went right through the barrier, down a hill, and into a fence.... haha.

Cesar R M, Mike S, BrianLo and 2 others like this.
  16. vj81995

vj81995 Well-Known Member

Star Wars land seems to be the culmination of all the playtesting that Imagineering has been doing lately, from Fortuna at D23 Expo to The Optimist to the more recent Ghost Post. Excited to see how their research affects, enhances and expands these experiences.

17. Curious Constance

LOL!!!

DDLand likes this.
  18. DisneyIrishGuy

DisneyIrishGuy Active Member

It may have been said previously, but here is my take:

What I understood from the SWC panel is that it'll be a cross between a sandbox and a predefined route. Basically where you get a free world but with limitations including the ability of crashing the Falcon but continuing with damage.

Also I took from the panel that every interaction we have with SWL will build upon everything else. So if you go in the Falcon and start attacking Rebels you get one story path in the rest of SWL, and if you attack First Order, you go down a different story path. And everything in-between. Its true immersion, with the ability to have your world around your change and interact with you. Its truly going to be amazing.

Lord_Vader, SteveAZee and SSG like this.
  19. Old Mouseketeer

Old Mouseketeer Well-Known Member

I think there will probably be limited paths. In many ways, Star Tours 2.0 is not much different than Kinoautomat which was featured in the Czech Pavilion at three world's fairs from 1967 to 1974. The story featured nine decision points where the audience could press one of two buttons at their seat. But both alternatives ended at the same decision point.

The difference for MF is that with digital projection and Disney's seamless branching technology, the only limit would be how many scenes they want to produce. A major decision like light or dark side would be an interesting starting point. And, of course, the opportunity to expand and change the options, like ST 2.0, is a given. Also, you might not get the same outcome if you made exactly the same choices!

In short, this could be the antidote to the problem with non-repeatability of 3-D film attractions like ITTBAB and Eo.

20. NobodyElse

NobodyElse Well-Known Member

I keep thinking of this:

[​IMG]

Old Mouseketeer, SteveAZee and phruby like this.