Star Wars Land Announcement This Month?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Original Poster
I'll admit, this is just my pipe dream, and I don't see it happening, but I really think it would make sense.

Disney's greatest potential project lies with it's most underperforming park: Star Wars Land at DSH. Now that FLE is all finished, why not steal some of Uni's Potter thunder by announcing this major project right after Diagon Alley opens?

Like I said, I'll be happily surprised of it happens so soon, but it makes sense to me...

bhg469

I'll admit, this is just my pipe dream, and I don't see it happening, but I really think it would make sense.

Disney's greatest potential project lies with it's most underperforming park: Star Wars Land at DSH. Now that FLE is all finished, why not steal some of Uni's Potter thunder by announcing this major project right after Diagon Alley opens?

Like I said, I'll be happily surprised of it happens so soon, but it makes sense to me...
Announce away, but the time line is going to be upsettting. It is obviously coming but to what scale? They need to knock this out of the park. It's needo the same level of detail of potter or it will be a loss for me.

Mike S

If not this year they could always do it next year closer to when episode 7 comes out. Next year is also Disneyland's 60th so if they really are changing TL into SW over there that would be the time to announce it.

Mike S

Announce away, but the time line is going to be upsettting. It is obviously coming but to what scale? They need to knock this out of the park. It's needo the same level of detail of potter or it will be a loss for me.
I think from the way WDW1974 talked about Star Wars made it sound like this would be a major expansion.

wdwfan4ver

While FLE is now done, AK seems to be the main focus right now for theme park construction in terms of a new of a new land with Avatar. Avatarland construction didn't really start before this year outside of the new Festival of the Lion King location.

bhg469

One would hope Disney is very aware of what people would expect out of a full Star Wars Land.
One would hope... if there isn't an uncle Owens BBQ stand I'll be upset :) Not really...

I just hope it doesn't turn into NFL where they have bespin directly next to naboo or kashyyyk with no flow from one world to another. I would almost be happier for Star wars land to be split up into the parks so there is no noticeable transition. Dare I say it, how universal is splitting up the potter areas by hogwarts express. It is a brilliant way to keep the areas apart and have a realistic flow.

Chef Mickey

I can't get over how often I read people acting like Universal is in the drivers seat with their Potter stuff.

Let's get real...Universal is doing some nice things and Disney DOES need to step up their game, but Universal is still far behind.

Disney is still king of content and even if they take their sweet time with Star Wars, the content is already better.

Harry Potter just sucks.

bhg469

I can't get over how often I read people acting like Universal is in the drivers seat with their Potter stuff.

Let's get real...Universal is doing some nice things and Disney DOES need to step up their game, but Universal is still far behind.

Disney is still king of content and even if they take their sweet time with Star Wars, the content is already better.

Harry Potter just sucks.

Potter is the prime example of how disney used to theme lands. The transition between the potter areas is a perfect solution... regardless of the IP, it was well done, better than anything disney has done since dak opened.

Last edited:

The Crafty Veteran

I just got back from WDW specificly because of Star Wars Weekends and my honest opinion is, I really don't believe more Star Wars will work. Now it works on the weekends during one month of the year, and it gives DHS a crazy amount of things for people to do and is without question a full day park if you're a Star Wars fan. But adding more Star Wars for the sake of Stsr Wars only because you own it might be overkill. If they build more and the attractions are world class my point is moot, but if new attractions are built and if they are the same quality of the mine train, I would be a little dissappointed.

Goofy_guy

Being a huge Star Wars fan as much as I am with Disney, I really don't know what to think involving a Star Wars land expansion at WDW. I have heard good ideas and the best being like a park with the World Showcase like what Epcot does, but with multiple planets from the Star Wars universe.

Honestly with development and filming for the new movie going on as we speak, I dont expect any type of announcement til late this year maybe even early next year. Heck there's a huge four day star wars convention happening in Annaheim next April near Disneyland to kick off the promotional aspect of episode VII so we might have something then if we havent by then.

Spike-in-Berlin

I still believe that SW-Land should have been the WDW counterstrike against Universals WWoHP, not Avatarland. With the exception of perhaps Lord of the Rings only SW has an even larger cult following than HP and SW is an ACTIVE franchise, three more episodes ahead and at least two TV series. Yes I know, there are sequels planned for Avatar as well (And Cameron is the master of the sequel, Aliens and T2 prove it) but so far Avatar is just a single, VERY successful movie but with NO cult around it what so ever. It still has to prove, if it is more than a megablockbuster that people watch and are impressed by but then go on with their lives without any influence by the movie. Star Wars changed a lot of lives! And SW-Land would be much better to deal with Harry Potter because it produced already and guarantees an entire galaxy of possible merchandise. Honestly, how many Avatar related toys exist? Not even Lego, who today really sadly produce any BS as a merchandise product so far features Avatar sets (the Lego Avatar has nothing to do with Camerons movie!) And how many children play with Avatar toys and how many SW toys do they play with?
The coming expansion of WWoHP in the US (London and Diagon Alley) and the Hogwarts Express look impressive! Together with the already existing Hogwarts in the UOA this will be a real challenge for WDW. I don't know if Avatar, let it be as impressive as hell, is really the adequate response. Many people need a connection to a movie related attraction to be thrilled by it. When they announced the building of Cars Land in DCA I couldn't care less, I didn't know the movie, I wasn't interested. Later, after I saw the movie and became a Cars fan, I adored the idea and when it opened, I knew I MUST get there in the next two or three years, this fall I will finally be there (I hope). Many people have seen Avatar, yes, but MUCH more and that over an entire generation have seen the SW movies. It's an integral part of the western pop culture of the 21st. century. referenced in numerous movies, TV series etc. Avatar has so far not even remotely the same influence. Even if Avatar-Land is a blast (and it really could be one) it will not be able to top the possible attractiveness of a fully developed SW Land.

Last edited:

tl77

I think they'll wait and see what the reaction to the new Star Wars film is before they announce any plans for the parks, because if SW7 is wildly successful they'll want the attractions to relate to and capitalize on that, but if SW7 is gets the same reaction as the prequels, they'll probably want to theme the park attractions more around the original trilogy

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Original Poster
I still believe that SW-Land should have been the WDW counterstrike against Universals WWoHP, not Avatarland.
Ah, that brings up a point I forgot to mention in my OP: The script is finished! That was a roadblock in their developing the expansion, but they now have a script for Episode 7 (and, I assume, an outline for 8 & 9).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Skipping around the thread editing (what IS in the water on these forums nowadays?) I wouldn't hold my breath just yet. They've been trying to plan this for two years and still don't have a final proposal yet.

Csmith041177

I would love to see a Star Wars themed land, as I grew up with Star Wars, and with the new movies my kids will also. I think if / when Disney does this, they will go all out with some amazing, cutting edge technologies (just like Universal has done with HP). However, the question is...when will they actually do it?

216bruce

One would hope... if there isn't an uncle Owens BBQ stand I'll be upset :) Not really...

I just hope it doesn't turn into NFL where they have bespin directly next to naboo or kashyyyk with no flow from one world to another. I would almost be happier for Star wars land to be split up into the parks so there is no noticeable transition. Dare I say it, how universal is splitting up the potter areas by hogwarts express. It is a brilliant way to keep the areas apart and have a realistic flow.
Uncle Owens BBQ stand...Very Nice! Actually laughed out-loud at that one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom