Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder if the backdrop for the model might hint to the hotel at all... doesn't seem so, though.

Not sure what you meant.

The model is DL's version of SW:GE, so it wouldn't have anything in the model that would reference the resort which is for Orlando only.

And by "hint at the hotel"... are you saying it's rumored? Because it was announced at D23.

Movielover

And by "hint at the hotel"... are you saying it's rumored? Because it was announced at D23.

I think he was implying that the hotel would be behind the attractions and I guess look like the rock face? We don't know where the hotel will be and it will look like a ship, not rocks. Plus as MisterPenguin said that is the Disneyland model.

Matthew Rings

I think he was implying that the hotel would be behind the attractions and I guess look like the rock face? We don't know where the hotel will be and it will look like a ship, not rocks. Plus as MisterPenguin said that is the Disneyland model.
The Hotel announced at D23 sounds like Star Wars WestWorld? ...Do I get to be Boba Fett and pick up cute Audio Animatronic ladies at the Cantina Bar? 'Cause I've had my eye on that cute redhead from Horizons since 1983. And the only way I'm going to get to go is if I'm single, because If I mention going to "play Star Wars" for 3 days for at least $3000, my wife will divorce me :)

I've been a big proponent of a Disney Star Wars Resort since Disney announced the acquisition of the Star Wars brand. I started a Facebook Fan Page with thousands of like minded fans wanting a hotel. I've been a Star Wars & Disney fan since the 70's (when I was born) and I want an immersive experience... but 3 days? Are they taking us on the promised space ship voyage from the Epcot Horizons ride into space with Virgin Galactic for a Westworld experience? I just came back from a trip to WDW, I have daughters, we stayed in a princess room, "It's what you do." It was fun for them and I would love the same experience before I visit the new Star Wars Land, but 3 days!? 1 day in the park = 4 tickets + food + souvenirs + 1 night at a Disney Resort was $1,000+. I can't "Imagine" what 3 days would cost! I hope they make a part of the resort for families, maybe a small room near a trash compactor with no view. :) To see my idea check out www.disneystarwarsresort.com

Tony the Tigger

The imagineers could have played it safe and just crammed Hoth, Endor and Tatooine into the new expansion and shoehorned some lame story to explain why you can walk to three separate planets separated by who knows how many light years of empty space, but they didn't.

...because after I meet Yoda and walk into the Cave/tree in Dagobah:joyfull:, and then ride a Tauntaun in the snow:joyfull:, my big concern is going to be why I only had to walk a few hundred feet to get from one to the other - not that there's no such thing as a Tauntaun, or that I can walk just as far in the other direction to see The Muppets.

Come on, man. Imagination/creativity can solve almost anything. Where there's a will, there's a way. And if you can suspend disbelief sufficient to hug a teenager wearing a giant mouse costume, or to think a brown rock landscape is the edge of the Galaxy (where characters from all of the Star Wars Universe turn up) then I think you can similarly suspend disbelief when Hoth is as close to Endor in HS as Norway is to Mexico in Epcot.

Maybe this land will end up in an upcoming movie, that could be cool. It still won't help me relive the best of the best, which are and will always be IV, V and VI (to me.)

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, I don't need you to agree with me, and I'm not mocking anyone or telling them they're wrong (as is sport on these boards.) I'm just expressing my own opinion, which is as valid as anyone else's. I see this as something I will no doubt enjoy but at the same time is a little disappointing that they didn't go "classic" and recreate even one land representative of the entire reason this area is being built.

For perspective, I'd say I was a bigger Star Wars fan than Disney fan, at least in the 80's-90's. Today, it's a close call (or I guess it's the same thing?!:cool:) For those of you who are Disney fans first, and then oh, here's this Star Wars stuff that means maybe a little more than Avatar, you may have a different perspective.

So for folks who went to Epcot as kids in 1985 and love it how you remember it, and are still talking about Horizons and complaining about any addition of IP (whereas I look forward to most of those - I like Frozen, I like the idea of Ratatouille) the first-made Star Wars movies are as sacred to me as that is to you.

I didn't go to WDW until I was 29. It's a different kind of connection.

Star Wars was everything to me as a kid. One of the first movies I saw in a theater (along with Jaws and a couple of Benji movies lol) and it is the measuring stick against which I judge all other movies for the rest of my life.

Every time I collected $3 (from my $1 a week allowance) I'd go to McCrory's and get a new action figure, and display them all over my room. I could never afford much bigger than an action figure, but was thrilled to buy Richie Catino's used Tauntaun for $4 when he decided to sell his collection. Eventually I managed a used X-wing fighter, also. Never could swing the Millennium Falcon, not even for Christmas - too big an ask. My mother thought it was ridiculous. "You don't even play with them!" LOL.

Anyway, when I heard Disney was going to do a Star Wars land, presumably in the context of competing with Harry Potter and knowing how they did Pandora, I never expected it would be a completely made up place that would justify a catch-all for everything. (To me that is more "playing it safe" with "some lame explanation."

In context, those of you who know me at all from these boards know I lean more cheerleader than curmudgeon, although I consider myself neither. I tell the truth, I call it like I see it. I wanted to love this, I clearly had unrealistic expectations and didn't read up enough in the run-up to the release, so I was very much surprised by this. That's on me. All good. Bring on the next movie.:geek:

Last edited:

Matthew Rings

...because after I meet Yoda and walk into the Cave/tree in Dagobah:joyfull:, and then ride a Tauntaun in the snow:joyfull:, my big concern is going to be why I only had to walk a few hundred feet to get from one to the other - not that there's no such thing as a Tauntaun, or that I can walk just as far in the other direction to see The Muppets.

Come on, man. Imagination/creativity can solve almost anything. Where there's a will, there's a way. And if you can suspend disbelief sufficient to hug a teenager wearing a giant mouse costume, or to think a brown rock landscape is the edge of the Galaxy (where characters from all of the Star Wars Universe turn up) then I think you can similarly suspend disbelief when Hoth is as close to Endor in HS as Norway is to Mexico in Epcot.

Maybe this land will end up in an upcoming movie, that could be cool. It still won't help me relive the best of the best, which are and will always be IV, V and VI (to me.)

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, I don't need you to agree with me, and I'm not mocking anyone or telling them they're wrong (as is sport on these boards.) I'm just expressing my own opinion, which is as valid as anyone else's. I see this as something I will no doubt enjoy but at the same time is a little disappointing that they didn't go "classic" and recreate even one land representative of the entire reason this area is being built.

For perspective, I'd say I was a bigger Star Wars fan than Disney fan, at least in the 80's-90's. Today, it's a close call (or I guess it's the same thing?!:cool:) For those of you who are Disney fans first, and then oh, here's this Star Wars stuff that means maybe a little more than Avatar, you may have a different perspective.

So for folks who went to Epcot as kids in 1985 and love it how you remember it, and are still talking about Horizons and complaining about any addition of IP (whereas I look forward to most of those - I like Frozen, I like the idea of Ratatouille) the first-made Star Wars movies are as sacred to me as that is to you.

I didn't go to WDW until I was 29. It's a different kind of connection.

Star Wars was everything to me as a kid. One of the first movies I saw in a theater (along with Jaws and a couple of Benji movies lol) and it is the measuring stick against which I judge all other movies for the rest of my life.

Every time I collected $3 (from my $1 a week allowance) I'd go to McCrory's and get a new action figure, and display them all over my room. I could never afford much bigger than an action figure, but was thrilled to buy Richie Catino's used Tauntaun for $4 when he decided to sell his collection. Eventually I managed a used X-wing fighter, also. Never could swing the Millennium Falcon, not even for Christmas - too big an ask. My mother thought it was ridiculous. "You don't even play with them!" LOL.

Anyway, when I heard Disney was going to do a Star Wars land, presumably in the context of competing with Harry Potter and knowing how they did Pandora, I never expected it would be a completely made up place that would justify a catch-all for everything. (To me that is more "playing it safe" with "some lame explanation."

In context, those of you who know me at all from these boards know I lean more cheerleader than curmudgeon, although I consider myself neither. I tell the truth, I call it like I see it. I wanted to love this, I clearly had unrealistic expectations and didn't read up enough in the run-up to the release, so I was very much surprised by this. That's on me. All good. Bring on the next movie.:geek:

I totally agree about the Classics! Boba Fett and Bossk figures from my childhood are on my desk and I got my Empire Strikes Back T on today!

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
There will be no Classics (there may be a nod here and there i would imagine but everything to do with Star Wars both Land and Hotel are firmly placed in the New Trilogy.

Movielover

There will be no Classics (there may be a nod here and there i would imagine but everything to do with Star Wars both Land and Hotel are firmly placed in the New Trilogy.

But the sequel trilogy is still very much rooted in the classics, much more so than the prequels. Fun exciting action, characters that you can relate to, emotional moments that connect to audiences, these are the ideas that the original films had and are what Disney is bringing to the table.

Goofyernmost

Yes I did but won't share it here.

Anonymity and all.
Damn, I wish you would share the picture, because, like everyone else here we are just waiting for you to show us your picture so we can print it out and then go to everyplace in the country comparing it to faces we see until we find you and let the world know your location so we can stalk and run on sentences for the rest of time.
People have told me that the picture of that old person that is in my avatar along with my grandchildren might resemble me but it is not me. I am much younger and better looking. You will be wasting your time trying to find me. Doesn't look like me at all. Nope, not at all. However, if you are trying to find me to give me large amounts of money, this guy may be able to tell you where I am.

Mike S

Damn, I wish you would share the picture, because, like everyone else here we are just waiting for you to show us your picture so we can print it out and then go to everyplace in the country comparing it to faces we see until we find you and let the world know your location so we can stalk and run on sentences for the rest of time.
People have told me that the picture of that old person that is in my avatar along with my grandchildren might resemble me but it is not me. I am much younger and better looking. You will be wasting your time trying to find me. Doesn't look like me at all. Nope, not at all. However, if you are trying to find me to give me large amounts of money, this guy may be able to tell you where I am.
...really???

Last edited:

JediMasterMatt

Just more proof that you can't please everyone.

The imagineers could have played it safe and just crammed Hoth, Endor and Tatooine into the new expansion and shoehorned some lame story to explain why you can walk to three separate planets separated by who knows how many light years of empty space, but they didn't.

The made a much more risky choice and created a new world and a new story that can actually include us as something more than a "Space Tourist" and where our decisions actually matter.

A long time ago, in a Los Angeles suburb not so far away this discussion was one that began the Star Wars Land process. Back when the focus for a land as strictly on Disneyland and if Orlando wanted to cherry pick the attractions, they could, the first thought was to do a Star Wars "greatest hits" package overlain on the top of Tomorrowland. This was the cheap/quick get it out the door concept that was shot down for not being ambitious enough in scope. It would've featured locations from several environments in the films. Nobody really liked this concept that was working on the project and were very happy that they were sent back to the drawing boards with more time and more money.

The focus then turned to Toontown and the environment was going to be quite a bit different in that it was going to feature much more interior spaces due to the fireworks fallout zone. This concept got pretty far along in the process when WDW got added back into the mix and more ambition was added to the project and the current plot north of RoA was decided.

Scott's team all along wanted a unified immersive environment as it allows the most creativity and going "off the galactic map" allows them the most flexibility to come up with something that works well in a theme park and it's an easier target to hit out of the park than trying to reverse engineer a known location in the SW universe as quite frankly - the SW saga doesn't have many great locations that would lend guests to want to spend a ton of time in. Sure you could do one of the Tatooine spaceports, or Bespin (Coruscant would be a stretch no matter how you'd try it); but, the saga locations didn't lend themselves to exploring dining and shopping environments.

The other conscious choice for the "unified" Galaxy's Edge location is that it keeps the door wide open for us to visit other locations down the road. By design, major expansion won't come to the spaceports under construction now. We will hop to another environment when/if the time comes.

MCast

This may be a long shot, but could they ever connect SW:GE to another park that also contains a Star Wars themed land? Similar to how Hogwarts/Hogsmeade connects to Diagon Alley at Universal via the Hogwarts Express?

Could be neat if done correctly, but I don't see another Star Wars themed land fitting at any of the other parks. That said, if they did add a different SW themed land in a different area and connected it (Like over World Drive), that could be cool. Blue sky talk. Obviously.

odmichael

This may be a long shot, but could they ever connect SW:GE to another park that also contains a Star Wars themed land? Similar to how Hogwarts/Hogsmeade connects to Diagon Alley at Universal via the Hogwarts Express?

Could be neat if done correctly, but I don't see another Star Wars themed land fitting at any of the other parks. That said, if they did add a different SW themed land in a different area and connected it (Like over World Drive), that could be cool. Blue sky talk. Obviously.
The parks are located too far from each other to make this financially feasible.

There has been speculation on this forum that the Star Wars Hotel could be connected to Galaxy's Edge in some capacity.

MCast

The parks are located too far from each other to make this financially feasible.

There has been speculation on this forum that the Star Wars Hotel could be connected to Galaxy's Edge in some capacity.

Right. However, there is no area inside the park boundaries that comes to mind when constructing the SW hotel. It would have to be across the street. If it is, in fact, across the street there needs to be a cool thematic way to connect the two. If they can do that for a hotel, that means they can possibly do that for an expansion. Blue sky dreaming here.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Right. However, there is no area inside the park boundaries that comes to mind when constructing the SW hotel. It would have to be across the street. If it is, in fact, across the street there needs to be a cool thematic way to connect the two. If they can do that for a hotel, that means they can possibly do that for an expansion. Blue sky dreaming here.

Plenty of room here and any link would only have to cross the backstage access road.
upload_2017-7-19_15-22-9.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom