Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

WDWbuff2001

I will cherish this forever... And yes I am just a teenager..lol
image.jpeg

mrsWarren14

Correct me if I'm wrong and have just missed it somewhere but is Stars Wars Land really going to be called "Star Wars Land"? I would hope they would come up with something more unique like a planet name or something. The same goes for "Toy Story Land".
Also, big thanks to those that bring in the real news and updates!

twebber55

Correct me if I'm wrong and have just missed it somewhere but is Stars Wars Land really going to be called "Star Wars Land"? I would hope they would come up with something more unique like a planet name or something. The same goes for "Toy Story Land".
Also, big thanks to those that bring in the real news and updates!
correct if im wrong bu t i believe it will be called the Star wars Experience

HauntedMansionFLA

Did they ever confirm Jedi Training? I know there is talk about being able to use light sabers for something? I'm really interested in the small details that will make you feel like your in the SW universe. THE two new rides sound great. It sounds like the queues are an attraction within the attraction. Any insiders have any information :)??

PorterRedkey

Did they ever confirm Jedi Training? I know there is talk about being able to use light sabers for something? I'm really interested in the small details that will make you feel like your in the SW universe. THE two new rides sound great. It sounds like the queues are an attraction within the attraction. Any insiders have any information :)??
I love great queue, but they are not an attraction. Indy has the best queue I have personally been in, however, if that queue was a walk-through attraction, without a ride, how busy do you think it would be? They are pretty holding dens, that are loud and full of people. A ride is a more intimate experience.
@marni1971 has talked about how early ride scenes are now being incorporated into the queue (See the GotG ride at Epcot). It is fine when you want an extra scene before the ride, but only in the case where it is an addition to the ride. If a ride was planned to have 10 scenes and now scenes 1-3 are incorporated into the line instead of the attraction, we have a problem. Priorities are screwed up.

DinoInstitute

I love great queue, but they are not an attraction. Indy has the best queue I have personally been in, however, if that queue was a walk-through attraction, without a ride, how busy do you think it would be? They are pretty holding dens, that are loud and full of people. A ride is a more intimate experience.
@marni1971 has talked about how early ride scenes are now being incorporated into the queue (See the GotG ride at Epcot). It is fine when you want an extra scene before the ride, but only in the case where it is an addition to the ride. If a ride was planned to have 10 scenes and now scenes 1-3 are incorporated into the line instead of the attraction, we have a problem. Priorities are screwed up.
As others said in the other thread it really seems like just a semantics thing and nothing to get frustrated about.
Plus, and maybe this is just me, but if the storytelling is going on, the atmosphere all set up, etc., I don't need to be in a vehicle to enjoy it.

clemmo

So if I remember correctly SWL is planned to be 14 acres but how big will the actual walkable portion of it be? I'm hoping it'll be a lot like diagon alley with a lot being crammed in to a space that may not be so big with all those massive show buildings taking up a lot of the 14 acres.

Goingdown13

So if I remember correctly SWL is planned to be 14 acres but how big will the actual walkable portion of it be? I'm hoping it'll be a lot like diagon alley with a lot being crammed in to a space that may not be so big with all those massive show buildings taking up a lot of the 14 acres.

Until you have to walk through it on an above average crowd day. Diagon and hogsmeade are both made to be sort of cramped and around the holidays it is torture.

Disneybear

I actually think making a new planet is a smart move for a setting as vast as Star Wars. The fresh but familiar setting was what made the original Star Tours so strong versus how 2.0 is overly indulgent in copying the movies and making dumb in-jokes.
I agree, setting the land on a new planet will allow them to cherry-pick familiar scenes and characters from all the films and put them into one land without being to jarring.

Siren

Disney recently filed a couple of patents for drones. And, it is believed that it is for Star Wars Land.

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...-do-puppet-shows-and-shoot-lasers-from-drones

e84a560d-85de-4579-867b-39ada8ce2d87-1024x768.jpeg

Disney filed a patent that reveals a puppet drone that can fire explosives, drop confetti and shoot lasers.

So, I can imagine guests on a Star Wars ride with these puppet drones flying above, shooting lasers and whatnot at guests in a battle scene or something like that.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-disney-patent-allows-you-to-deflect-lasers-with-a-1785399898
2yyulxw.jpg

This drone patent will allow lightsabers to deflect lasers.

lhpegbeffo3aygmsi98i.jpg

The picture above demonstrates how the lightsaber can deflect the laser. So, as guests ride the Star Wars ride, they can hold a lightsaber and deflect lasers from stormtroopers and enemies. I just can't figure out how guests could swing the light saber from the ride vehicle without elbowing or hitting someone else.

ETA: Or, it could be for a parade or show. But, I hope this tech can be used for the rides.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney recently file a couple of patents for drones. And, it is believed that it is for Star Wars Land.

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...-do-puppet-shows-and-shoot-lasers-from-drones

e84a560d-85de-4579-867b-39ada8ce2d87-1024x768.jpeg

Disney recently filed a patent that reveals a puppet drone that can fire explosives, drop confetti and shoot lasers.

So, I can imagine guests on a Star Wars ride with these puppet drones flying above, shooting lasers and whatnot at guests in a battle scene or something like that.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-disney-patent-allows-you-to-deflect-lasers-with-a-1785399898
2yyulxw.jpg

This drone patent will allow lightsabers to deflect lasers.

lhpegbeffo3aygmsi98i.jpg

The picture above demonstrates how the lightsaber can deflect the laser. So, as guests ride the Star Wars ride, they can hold a lightsaber and deflect lasers from stormtroopers and enemies. I just can't figure out how guests could swing the light saber from the ride vehicle without elbowing or hitting someone else.

ETA: Or, it could be for a parade or show. But, I hope this tech can be used for the rides.

Also remember, that it could be for nothing. Just because they patented something doesn't mean they actually plan to use it in the parks. We have had a lot of patents pop up over the years that we still haven't seen used.

Siren

Hi @danlb_2000! That's a really good point, thanks. I'll try not to get too carried away. LOL. But, the boy puppet drone sort of reminds me of Disney's flying dragon, just a little bit. The dragon wasn't a drone, though. I know that drones are the way of the future but they seem really hard to control and unpredictable at times. I guess we'll see.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hi @danlb_2000! That's a really good point, thanks. I'll try not to get too carried away. LOL. But, the boy puppet drone sort of reminds me of Disney's flying dragon, just a little bit. The dragon wasn't a drone, though. I know that drones are the way of the future but they seem really hard to control and unpredictable at times. I guess we'll see.

I think the puppet one is less likely to happen, but I could definitely see the light saber one used in Star Wars Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom