Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

Yes.

I expect onstage to remain roughly within the park boundary. Backstage areas to push into Television. That plus anticipated guest interest warrants the two new garages. 3 floors each. Plus it's a chance to sort out the parks parking and access finally all in one go.

Interesting. I personally hope this remains a plan (or something similar) as it allows for greater on stage space to be used which should allow for a maximum number of attractions and experiences.

One question I have is whether the current plans include a new parade for the park. Or, at least, do they allow for the infrustructure for a new parade to operate (stage backstage, appropriate pathways to allow space for floats)? I would find it horribly shortsighted if they don't consider future park needs and allow for the possibility of parades in the future.

doctornick

So what is going into the SoA area if the Osborne lights is ending after this season? It sounds like Star Wars and Toy Story are not going into SoA, so what is then if TDO is ending Osborne lights after this year? Phase 3 starts before X-mas 2016?

I wonder if they would actually not only keep Muppetvision but even expand the Muppets area to the rest of SoA if the new show is well received (I know there have been mixed reviews).

ToTBellHop

FWIW, I've heard clearing of SoA will start at some point in 2016 for "phase 3." The expansion space required for SWL is primarily for two large show buildings. Happy to hear rational minds may be winning out on Echo Lake. The transition of turning the corner from Hollywood Blvd and immediately being on another planet would be dreadful and work counter to the thematic work coming to the park. It didn't make sense to me in a park that is demoing existing buildings to allow for a large and relatively long transition into Toy Story Land.

boufa

FWIW, I've heard clearing of SoA will start at some point in 2016 for "phase 3." The expansion space required for SWL is primarily for two large show buildings. Happy to hear rational minds may be winning out on Echo Lake. The transition of turning the corner from Hollywood Blvd and immediately being on another planet would be dreadful and work counter to the thematic work coming to the park. It didn't make sense to me in a park that is demoing existing buildings to allow for a large and relatively long transition into Toy Story Land.

You may be right, I don't know. But the bigger question is... does anyone believe that the plans are still in flux? We hear about things, and cross rumors, and then changes to rumors, but do we really think that they are still nailing down the details, much less the big things? Or do we think that the way we hear bout various rumors makes it seem like its changing.

I seriously doubt that there is much left to design for either land. They want to start construction very soon, I would imagine that the designs have gone to print, and the detailed prints (like electrical outlets, water piping and other mundane details) are what, if anything is being worked on. There is no way they stood in front of the Disney board of directors, asked for BILLIONS of dollars and didn't know for sure if echo lake would stay or go... or any other related significant decision.

I would have to imagine that at this point physical parts of the lands are being purchased, delivered, stored and ordered (likely offsite). Construction companies have the prints and are trying to work out logistics details (ie how many bulldozers do we need and how soon). If not, then we are looking at 3-5 years before we see much progress. Much less dreaming about a phase III.

The lack of nailing down the details and the changing plans with Cameron, and the like, are what has caused Avatar to take so long.

Lee

Adventurer
There is no way they stood in front of the Disney board of directors, asked for BILLIONS of dollars and didn't know for sure if echo lake would stay or go... or any other related significant decision.
Oh, there certainly is a way...
They still (as of a couple weeks ago) hadn't committed to a theme for phase 3.

Out at DL, they are still tweaking the plans for their SW land, and it's effects on the surrounding areas. (Some of which could cause riots out there among the DL faithful.)

doctornick

I'm not sure if what I've been told jives with @Lee has heard, but I'm told Toontown is now safe from Darth. And their new plan is so, so much worse.

Well, that's intriguing (but not necessarily in a good way). I feel like it would mean losing the Rivers of America there, which would be very unfortunate -- and much worse than losing Toontown.

GiveMeTheMusic

Well, that's intriguing (but not necessarily in a good way). I feel like it would mean losing the Rivers of America there, which would be very unfortunate -- and much worse than losing Toontown.

Not the entire river. Just most of it. Would really be awful and I'd much rather they remove what I affectionately refer to as Disneyland's dirty diaper, Toontown.

doctornick

Not the entire river. Just most of it. Would really be awful and I'd much rather they remove what I affectionately refer to as Disneyland's dirty diaper, Toontown.

Well, that doesn't sound good. I'm wondering if the plan would be to just have the "river" as ambiance and cutting out the river traffic -- which would be bad for the kinetics and also would prevent them from hosting Fantasmic!.

I guess they could fill in the upper part of the water and then create a new water pathway over the middle of the island (cutting TSI to just the lower portion of it) in order to retain the water traffic, but that would be such a smaller route that I don't think it would go over well at all with the DL faithful.

Lee

Adventurer
Does it still involve getting a rid of Big Thunder Ranch?
That's a given.
Yep.

Toontown was as good as gone. Not sure who thinks losing a chunk of TSI, the Rivers and Frontierland is a better idea...

Lee

Adventurer
Well, that doesn't sound good. I'm wondering if the plan would be to just have the "river" as ambiance and cutting out the river traffic -- which would be bad for the kinetics and also would prevent them from hosting Fantasmic!.

I guess they could fill in the upper part of the water and then create a new water pathway over the middle of the island (cutting TSI to just the lower portion of it) in order to retain the water traffic, but that would be such a smaller route that I don't think it would go over well at all with the DL faithful.
Fantasmic is safe, other than an 18 month closure.
The last part of your list is looking close to the plan, I'm afraid.

boufa

There is no doubt that the DHS version is ahead in the planning and design stage than the DL version. If they are truly waiting for the new fiscal year to start actual hard construction at DHS, then I will repeat my earlier opinion, they are close to done with the design and placement. I seriously doubt that in a couple week, there will be a construction worker standing next to Echo Lake with a shovel and on a cell phone saying "So are we filling this thing in or not?"

It may sound silly, but we are very close to that point. Walls could start appearing as soon as 1-2 weeks from now, and they kinda need to know where to put them. (although I would bet much of the initial work will be prep and backstage stuff.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There is no doubt that the DHS version is ahead in the planning and design stage than the DL version. If they are truly waiting for the new fiscal year to start actual hard construction at DHS, then I will repeat my earlier opinion, they are close to done with the design and placement. I seriously doubt that in a couple week, there will be a construction worker standing next to Echo Lake with a shovel and on a cell phone saying "So are we filling this thing in or not?"

It may sound silly, but we are very close to that point. Walls could start appearing as soon as 1-2 weeks from now, and they kinda need to know where to put them. (although I would bet much of the initial work will be prep and backstage stuff.

I doubt we will see that start of SWL construction in the next few weeks. I think it's likely that TSL will start soon, but we probably won't see SQL work until sometime next year.

HauntedMansionFLA

Oh, there certainly is a way...
They still (as of a couple weeks ago) hadn't committed to a theme for phase 3.

Out at DL, they are still tweaking the plans for their SW land, and it's effects on the surrounding areas. (Some of which could cause riots out there among the DL faithful.)
Did they ever announce a phase three that people keep mentioning?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom