Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

jt04

Now who was it on these very boards who was adamant that the builds were at the same stage, or even that WDW was ahead of DL?

View attachment 181073

To be fair, that is the new infrastructure for Fantasmic storage and the reconfigured railroad track.

However, I do agree their SWL has advanced and WDW seems stalled. Is there something you aren't telling us?

Kman101

The Disneyland project has the Rivers of America issue to deal with. It's not entirely a fair comparison in terms of the beginnings of what they are doing.

I'm not studying construction pictures, clearly Disneyland is ahead (any sane person could tell you they would be anyway), but it's not like we're a year apart or anything. Why is it being made out more than it is? Aren't we simply a few months behind, and will it really matter in the end?

jt04

The Disneyland project has the Rivers of America issue to deal with. It's not entirely a fair comparison in terms of the beginnings of what they are doing.

I'm not studying construction pictures, clearly Disneyland is ahead (any sane person could tell you they would be anyway), but it's not like we're a year apart or anything. Why is it being made out more than it is? Aren't we simply a few months behind, and will it really matter in the end?

If the pictures we are seeing have accurate dates then there is very little happening at SWL in WDW. That is what I am questioning. Have they gone back to the drawing board? Are the dates inaccurate? Or did something else happen with this project?

KrazyKat

That's Art of Animation and Pop Century. There is actually plenty of room between that new parking area and Victory way to build a new resort if they wanted to.
Completely agree! That would make a great location for a new DHS (or whatever it will be called) resort. Theme it in sections like TOT, Toy Story/Pixar, Old Hollywood and of course the side facing Star Wars land to SW so it blends in the background. Guests could walk across and have another entrance/exit into/out of the park, like DCA has.

jt04

Methinks that someone is foolishly hoping that Disney is going back to the drawing board to enhance the Star Wars Land coming to DHS.

Or, at the least, configuring things so expansion is possible in the future should they choose that path.

HauntedMansionFLA

They aren't. That would cost them money. WDW moves at a slower pace. They have no reason to rush construction. Guests still swarm the park regardless. It's just how they run things. Taking their time should be their motto.
Well they do have Pandora / Rivers of Light at DAK in 2017, Toy Story Land at DHS in 2018, then Star Wars Land in 2019. I guess to let each area shine a bit by themselves.

Dr.GrantSeeker

It would be nice if they would add the third attraction that was cut - a peoplemover type of ride since I think would have been a wonderful addition to SWL.

@marni1971 Is there any possibility at all that the people mover type attraction will be added back into the plans? I'm obviously not getting my hopes up, but it would just be great news!

HauntedMansionFLA

@marni1971 Is there any possibility at all that the people mover type attraction will be added back into the plans? I'm obviously not getting my hopes up, but it would just be great news!
It would be nice if it was part of the land because 1. It's an attraction to ride and 2. It would be a nice second way around the land and finally 3. It would give you a totally different view of the land vs. Walking around at eye level.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If the pictures we are seeing have accurate dates then there is very little happening at SWL in WDW. That is what I am questioning. Have they gone back to the drawing board? Are the dates inaccurate? Or did something else happen with this project?

Not stalled, just going slowly. You can see infrastructure work still going on and they are still clearing the large pile of demolition debris. They probably have finished the ground stabilization on the battle ride pit. but that concrete has to set for a period of time before they can do more.

Kman101

Well they do have Pandora / Rivers of Light at DAK in 2017, Toy Story Land at DHS in 2018, then Star Wars Land in 2019. I guess to let each area shine a bit by themselves.

Very true. The cynic in me is saying it's simply to spread out the costs. We're still years away from some things. They really need to stop taking their time but I'll stop whining, LOL. I'm just anxious for it all. I just feel they have so much to 'catch up' on.

Goofyernmost

Very true. The cynic in me is saying it's simply to spread out the costs. We're still years away from some things. They really need to stop taking their time but I'll stop whining, LOL. I'm just anxious for it all. I just feel they have so much to 'catch up' on.
There really is no need to spread out the cost, everything in that type of investment in amortized over many years no matter when they spend it or get it open. However, the sooner they get it open the sooner they hope to realize an increase in income because of it. (or even to not have a decline in income because of its absence). Spreading out the openings over a few years would be a positive marketing thing because it maintains the excitement over a longer span of time and, in the world of theme parks, these are big things, not some little spinner rides added here and there.

At the risk of repeating myself again and again, we, for a lack of a better way to put it, super fans are the ones that we are thinking about when it comes to "catch up" or "keep up". To million and millions of people that have never been the parks are as new as they were the day they opened. We tend to forget that we are really not their bread and butter target audience. All of this is for the few that are still within the 7 year itch of their personal theme park experience. They are coming and spending more then us oldtimers and are way less demanding because everything is still new to them. After awhile, I'd bet that the Disney folks cannot wait for us oldies to die off and stop trying to make everything like 1955 or 1971 again. The odds are that it is gonna happen. Just a matter of time.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom