Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

EngineJoe

Um, it's like 11 days into the release. Could you define or describe what a movie that has made a "cultural impact" would look like this early into its release and indicate how TFA fails to meet such standards?

I think it would be hard to imagine a film that has entered public consciousness so readily and so diffusely as The Force Awakens has. The movie has its flaws but it's certainly taking up a huge part of the entertainment/pop culture news right now.

You would have to ask the poster who brought up the term "Cultural Phenomenon" as a way to disparage Avatar.

JediMasterMatt

EngineJoe

http://www.starwars.com/news/critical-opinion-the-phantom-menace-original-reviews

Care to revise your statement? *The link above is from Lucasfilm's official Star Wars page and it doesn't shy away from the tepid at best reviews.

Let me know the fare so we can move past your Troll Bridge at any point.

Your link has a bunch of positive glowing reviews with one bad one from Peter Travers.

No need for personal attacks just because people don't share your views there, big guy.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Incorrect. Everyone was praising Phantom Menace like no tommorow and saying see it made alot of money so it must be good.
What alternate universe do you hail from? A good half of the reviews in 1999 were negative.
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-19990519
Empire

George Lucas’ much-pilloried prequel remains as flat as Tatooine’s Dune Sea.

Plugged In

After seeing the film, critics and fanboys alike quickly trumpeted their shattered expectations, citing wooden storytelling, a Byzantine plot involving trade disputes and government committees, and a haphazard vibe that ultimately fails to re-bottle the same magic Lucas and his fellow filmmakers somehow captured in the original trilogy.

It's Rotten tomatoes rank is 56%

About the only critic that liked it was Roger Ebert

EngineJoe

What alternate universe do you hail from? A good half of the reviews in 1999 were negative.
Empire

George Lucas’ much-pilloried prequel remains as flat as Tatooine’s Dune Sea.

Plugged In

After seeing the film, critics and fanboys alike quickly trumpeted their shattered expectations, citing wooden storytelling, a Byzantine plot involving trade disputes and government committees, and a haphazard vibe that ultimately fails to re-bottle the same magic Lucas and his fellow filmmakers somehow captured in the original trilogy.

It's Rotten tomatoes rank is 56%

About the only critic that liked it was Roger Ebert

That Plugged in Review looks like a DVD review of the film that came out years later. There's no date on when it was written. Can you find it?

The Empire review you linked is a 2012 review of the 3D release of Phantom menace.

Strange how you are using reviews that came out a decade after the release of Phantom Menace to prove your point.

FrankLapidus

Yes it will. In the same way that you said that "Avatar" will be soon forgotten.

George Lucas' New Hope is the cultural phenomenon, not JJ Abrams TFA reboot.

I didn't say that Avatar will soon be forgotten, you said that The Force Awakens will soon be forgotten. It won't be, anyone who thinks that is completely delusional.

Star Wars is the phenomenon. Not one film in the series, its the entire franchise that spans films, TV series, theme park attractions (soon to be full-fledged lands), comics, video games, seemingly infinite merchandise, books...

If you want to turn this into a Star Wars vs Avatar popularity contest then that's your prerogative but if you do Avatar ain't going to win. Star Wars is the biggest cultural phenomenon there is, love it or hate it it is the biggest of juggernauts.

The Force Awakens isn't going to be forgotten because its a Star Wars film, part one of a new trilogy that millions and millions of people are desperate to see unfold. Anyone who thinks that the film will slip from public consciousness or that it hasn't made a cultural impact is completely kidding themselves. You might want it to be forgotten for whatever reason but its most certainly not going anywhere, Star Wars is an unstoppable train that is just going to keep on rolling.

EngineJoe

I didn't say that Avatar will soon be forgotten, you said that The Force Awakens will soon be forgotten. It won't be, anyone who thinks that is completely delusional.

Star Wars is the phenomenon. Not one film in the series, its the entire franchise that spans films, TV series, theme park attractions (soon to be full-fledged lands), comics, video games, seemingly infinite merchandise, books...

If you want to turn this into Star Wars vs Avatar then that's on you but if you do, Avatar ain't going to win. Star Wars is the biggest cultural phenomenon there is, love it or hate it it is the biggest of juggernauts.

The Force Awakens isn't going to be forgotten because its a Star Wars film, part one of a trilogy that millions and millions of people are desperate to see unfold. Anyone who thinks that the film will slip from public consciousness or that it hasn't made a cultural impact is completely kidding themselves. You might want it to be forgotten for whatever reason but its most certainly not going anywhere, Star Wars is an unstoppable train that is just going to keep on rolling.

You should probably read the last couple pages before commenting then. Aefex is the one who brought in cultural phenomenon in regards to avatar not having it. I was responding to that.

George Lucas is the one who established the cultural phenomenon with Nee Hope and.the trilogy. That is the game changer and what will be remembered. Sorry but JJ Abrams TFA is just derivative and is not I that level.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That Plugged in Review looks like a DVD review of the film that came out years later. There's no date on when it was written. Can you find it?

The Empire review you linked is a 2012 review of the 3D release of Phantom menace.

Strange how you are using reviews that came out a decade after the release of Phantom Menace to prove your point.
Review from May 20th 1999.

Review from May 19th 1999.

Review from May 24th 1999.

Review from May 13th 1999

Review from May 18th 1999

I can do this all day.

I actually enjoyed Episode 1. I was one of those nut jobs that camped out the day before to see it and I was shocked at the amount of negative reviews the film got when it released in 1999.

jakeman

Except he's not. The Rotten Tomato reviews are all from around the time the movie came out. Many of the quotes are pulled recently, but the links go to reviews originally published in 1999.

Of course that doesn't support this weird angle of TPM reviews being positive (which so far isn't supported by, you know, facts) and TFA being positive and by some odd review transitive property TFA is bad because TPM is bad...

http://www.stltoday.com/from-the-p-...cle_6626faa4-f878-58f3-9dac-396bbdca1959.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB927082592439077365

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/1999/05/18/all_sizzle_no_soul_in_phantom/?page=full

http://newcityfilm.com/2015/12/14/review-flashback-star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace/

EngineJoe

FrankLapidus

You should probably read the last couple pages before commenting then. Aefex is the one who brought in cultural phenomenon in regards to avatar not having it. I was responding to that.

George Lucas is the one who established the cultural phenomenon with Nee Hope and.the trilogy. That is the game changer and what will be remembered. Sorry but JJ Abrams TFA is just derivative and is not I that level.

Or perhaps you should read it back before attributing things to me that I never said. I actually did read through those pages and agreed with everything he did say for what its worth though.

No one would argue that the phenomenon starts with Lucas' initial idea and the original trilogy, I certainly didn't. But the reality is that he's stepped aside and The Force Awakens has regardless been incredibly successful and clearly made a cultural impact in its own right. Its part of a bigger picture that is going to unfold in the coming years but the film isn't going to be forgotten no matter how much you seem to hope it will be.

You're welcome to whatever opinion of the film you want, if you think its derivative then great. The fact remains that it has been incredibly successful, achieved a very high level of public and critical acclaim and has set things up perfectly for Rian Johnson's Episode 8. All in all I'd say that's a job very well done.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Then why did you post reviews from a decade later in the other post? Seemsodd.
Because I simply grabbed the first 2 that came up I did not pay that much attention to the dates. I did not expect to find a review written 10 years prior to a movies release.

Regardless of that, it does not change the fact that the movie was largely panned by critics when it came out making your statement "Incorrect. Everyone was praising Phantom Menace like no tommorow and saying see it made alot of money so it must be good. " as you put it "Incorrect"

EngineJoe

Or perhaps you should read it back before attributing things to me that I never said. I actually did read through those pages and agreed with everything he did say for what its worth though.

No one would argue that the phenomenon starts with Lucas' initial idea and the original trilogy, I certainly didn't. But the reality is that he's stepped aside and The Force Awakens has regardless been incredibly successful and clearly made a cultural impact in its own right. Its part of a bigger picture that is going to unfold in the coming years but the film isn't going to be forgotten no matter how much you seem to hope it will be.

You're welcome to whatever opinion of the film you want, if you think its derivative then great. The fact remains that it has been incredibly successful, achieved a very high level of public and critical acclaim and has set things up perfectly for Rian Johnson's Episode 8. All in all I'd say that's a job very well done.

I think that remains to be seen. It's way too early to make such proclamations. I mean it's only been in theatres for what 10 days.

TFA was an okay film. Kind of uneven. I'm glad that JJ Abrams is off the project. Hopefully he will minimize Adam Driver's role. Not a good lead villain. And I'm a big fan of Colin Trevverow so I think the third film will be very good.

But there's only one George Lucas, only one. And he's what's responsible for the cultural phenomena known as Star Wars.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
He needed to buy some time to falsify all the 1999 bad reviews. ;)
Dude!
giphy.gif

EngineJoe

Because I simply grabbed the first 2 that came up I did not pay that much attention to the dates. I did not expect to find a review written 10 years prior to a movies release.

Regardless of that, it does not change the fact that the movie was largely panned by critics when it came out making your statement "Incorrect. Everyone was praising Phantom Menace like no tommorow and saying see it made alot of money so it must be good. " as you put it "Incorrect"

I think it puts your credibility in question when the first two reviews you put up are 10 years after the fact considering my point was that people started criticizing the film years later after the fact. Along with your Ad Hominem attacks in your initial post it does impact the strength of your discussion and proclamations.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think it puts your credibility in question when the first two reviews you put up are 10 years after the fact considering my point was that people started criticizing the film years later after the fact. Along with your Ad Hominem attacks in your initial post it does impact the strength of your discussion and proclamations.

And you credibility is in question now because you won't admit you were wrong despite proof that there were a lot of negative reviews.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If I was engaging in an ad hominem attack, I would have pointed out your misspelling of "tommorow" and your use of the non existent word "alot" and left it at that.

ALOT2.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom