News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Nland316

...well, loss of wifi communication that shuts the ride down a lot, is a big deal. From what I was told today, they seem to have gotten past the issue and now they are working the kinks out in testing...a lot of testing...
Well not necessarily that it isn’t a big deal, but I’m pretty sure issues like these to a certain extent are accounted for in their construction timeline. I remember that Luigi’s trackless ride was said to also encountering issues with the WiFi system when it was being constructed. While ROTR is a different beast, nobody seemed to be as up in arms in that situation. It was also quickly fixed. I merely think ROTR was never intended to open in early May ever since they fast tracked the land, and now that they are marketing a staggering opening they have no issue taking their time on the remaining portion of the attraction since there is no immediate rush.

Last edited:

The Mur

I know some believe otherwise, but I think that the Rise of the Resistance delays have been extremely over exaggerated compared to what they probably really are. I bet they are, and always have been, normal kinks that regularly occur when a new attraction is being tested. The staggering opening I sincerely believe was just because of capacity concern.
My guess has always been that with the early opening of SW:GE without RotR and limited people in the land they can quietly grab visitors for final testing, training and shakeout.

Old Mouseketeer

Looks like I’ll have to buy the Japanese copy

I saw it once in the theater on re-release. I borrowed my friends laserdisc player and rented a copy of the Japanese release and I have seen a bootleg DVD copy. The problem with the Japanese laserdisc was toggling between the mono English dialog track and the stereo Japanese language track that had the songs in English in stereo.

I actually like the idea of releasing a "Criterion"-style special edition with historians discussing the real history of the Uncle Remus stories going back to its literary roots. The fact that these stories were recorded by a white author is controversial enough. That's before it even got to Disney. And remember, a lot of the controversy over the movie was based on outrage ginned up by a disgruntled African-American actor who didn't get the lead. He provoked the NAACP into protesting without ever seeing the movie.

Song of the South has issues. But it needs to be judged on what it actually is, not on what people say it is without any facts. It doesn't depict slaves in the antebellum South. I takes place after the Civil War. It may have offensive racial stereotypes, but it didn't do any favors to poor white trash, and I have some cousins like that back in Oklahoma!

As a an overwhelmingly white person (somewhere between 60 and 90% British and certainly 95% NW European) it's not for me to judge whether Song of the South is offensive to African-Americans. There has been a very spirited debate about this among black historians and literary people for decades. There is a passionate debate over whether these beloved stories collected from African-Americans by the white author Joel Chandler Harris have any worth given that he is not black, himself. I leave the final judgment to others.

Rich Brownn

I saw it once in the theater on re-release. I borrowed my friends laserdisc player and rented a copy of the Japanese release and I have seen a bootleg DVD copy. The problem with the Japanese laserdisc was toggling between the mono English dialog track and the stereo Japanese language track that had the songs in English in stereo.

I actually like the idea of releasing a "Criterion"-style special edition with historians discussing the real history of the Uncle Remus stories going back to its literary roots. The fact that these stories were recorded by a white author is controversial enough. That's before it even got to Disney. And remember, a lot of the controversy over the movie was based on outrage ginned up by a disgruntled African-American actor who didn't get the lead. He provoked the NAACP into protesting without ever seeing the movie.

Song of the South has issues. But it needs to be judged on what it actually is, not on what people say it is without any facts. It doesn't depict slaves in the antebellum South. I takes place after the Civil War. It may have offensive racial stereotypes, but it didn't do any favors to poor white trash, and I have some cousins like that back in Oklahoma!

As a an overwhelmingly white person (somewhere between 60 and 90% British and certainly 95% NW European) it's not for me to judge whether Song of the South is offensive to African-Americans. There has been a very spirited debate about this among black historians and literary people for decades. There is a passionate debate over whether these beloved stories collected from African-Americans by the white author Joel Chandler Harris have any worth given that he is not black, himself. I leave the final judgment to others.
One of my non-white friends watched it with me (I have the LD) and she was like "I dunno, the black folks seem to be the only ones with brains... " She also liked the fact the kids were friends, oblivious to the fact that they were different races.

fctiger

I'm watching Discovery, also: By waiting for a season to end, subscribe to CBS for a month, and binge it. Then unsubscribe. :)

I would do that if I wasn't such a huge fanboy. I'm the type that is sitting in front of my TV the minute its on and I can't stay away from spoilers! But one episode left and then I'm talking a break until Jean-Luc Picard makes his triumphant return!

drod1985

Some additional concept art photos from @Attractions on Twitter. Great look at the Falcon queue, Hondo's droid, and what is presumably a giant screen showing the Falcon landing behind Hondo.

D35WYcaWwAAFwSv.jpg

D35WYcZWAAIYraD.jpg

D35WYikWkAEdZlp.jpg

D35WYoLXsAAJ48K.jpg

Epcot_Imagineer

...well, loss of wifi communication that shuts the ride down a lot, is a big deal. From what I was told today, they seem to have gotten past the issue and now they are working the kinks out in testing...a lot of testing...
It seems that once again the insiders here on WDWMagic were right about the issue just being a small glitch/bug, as opposed to some other websites claiming that this issue had everyone in Glendale preparing for a disaster of apocalyptic proportions... thank you for the info @SWGalaxysEdge, always good to hear!

bclane

Disney+ sounds AMAZING!!!! And at just $6.99 a month??? I'm paying CBS All Access $9.99 just to watch ONE show on it lol. And literally nothing else: Star Trek Discovery. Oh I am definitely dropping AA the second Disney+ arrives. I can't imagine how good that site will knowing its going to have everything from Star Wars to the Simpsons on it. I would get it just to watch all the new Marvel shows alone.
Same here regarding CBS All Access. And this season of Discovery has been worth every penny. But then we discovered The Good Fight which is actually really really good so now we have two shows on that service. Hopefully the other Trek stuff they have planned is good as well. But yeah, Disney+ looks like an absolute killer bargain.

bclane

Looks like I’ll have to buy the Japanese copy
I bought a few copies of the UK edition of Song of the South years ago that are all still sealed and in the box. They are in the PAL format so I can't watch them. I'm just saving them...hoping they will actually be worth something someday.

Old Mouseketeer

One of the few things I agree with you. ;)

Unless they run every episode of the Mickey Mouse Club (original, thank you) they are dead to me. DEAD, I TELL YOU!!!

It's Spin and Marty or nothing! That's my final word. I will blog no more forever. Period. That's it. You'll not hear another word from me. Do I have everyone's attention? I'm really leaving. Don't try and talk me out of it. Did you hear me? I'm making a grandtastic, futile, pointless, redundant, empty, self-destructive gesture here, so don't even think of attempting to stop me. This is virtual self-immolation. Good-bye, cruel blog. You'll be sorry if I'm gone. Then the laugh will be on you. Heh.

Damn, I need coffee.

BasiltheBatLord

I bought a few copies of the UK edition of Song of the South years ago that are all still sealed and in the box. They are in the PAL format so I can't watch them. I'm just saving them...hoping they will actually be worth something someday.
I remember buying bootleg copies of Song of the South off eBay when I was like 8 years old.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you're looking for Disney+ info...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom