News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D

Deleted member 107043

Hard to tell. The ones that were super bright aren't really shown in those photos. The throwback to mine train rocks.

I would say they look darker and more grayish than before and decidedly less Bryce Canyon reddish/orange than Big Thunder and the new rock work along BT Trail. Could be the midday Southern California sun or camera exposure settings at work though.

SWL-May-5-HB-5-610x407.jpg

Macro

Gotcha. So is it just me or did they tone down the reds on those rocks? My eyes may be decieving me on this iPhone.
I think that's just the order they paint them. They start with the base coat which is often the most saturated color. Then they add the aging or variation layers on top of that. Those top layers only partially cover the base layer to get the final appearance. That's why it starts out a bit garish-looking and then the final product appears toned down.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think that's just the order they paint them. They start with the base coat which is often the most saturated color. Then they add the aging or variation layers on top of that. Those top layers only partially cover the base layer to get the final appearance. That's why it starts out a bit garish-looking and then the final product appears toned down.

This image of the new rock work behind Big Thunder was posted on MiceAge last week. It's basically had the same paint job for maybe a month now, so I'm assuming this is pretty close to the final look. Note the style difference both in color and texture between this formation and the newer rocks near Critter Country in my previous post.

IMG_0353-1-610x407.jpg

TP2000

She's in LA: They're putting water in the river.

Love it!

I started a new Rivers of America thread, since now that the water is returning we'll need a place to talk about the Rivers of America itself, and the five returning attractions that will have new vistas and environments thanks to this Star Wars project;

Mark Twain Riverboat
Sailing Ship Columbia
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island
Disneyland Railroad

Rivers of America thread is here for those inclined... http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rivers-of-america-re-imagineered-2017.926839/#post-7698180

Old Mouseketeer

I would say they look darker and more grayish than before and decidedly less Bryce Canyon reddish/orange than Big Thunder and the new rock work along BT Trail. Could be the midday Southern California sun or camera exposure settings at work though.

It may be that they are blending the traditional appearance of the backside of RoA with the environs of BTMRR.

D

Deleted member 107043

No, it actually started with PotC and the Carribean village addition to Adventureland at WDW in 1973

While that's true I think Big Thunder took distressed to a whole new level that had never been seen before at a Disney park. Caribbean Plaza at WDW looks like a fancy suburban shopping mall in comparison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom