News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

AEfx

My wife was trying hard to sell this to herself, but when she saw some of the distinctly Buck Rogers looking set pieces, and the drop-ceiling walkways, all of which kinda screamed "fast to reskin if things go sideways", she quit trying to convince herself or me.

She is not alone, whatsoever.

Like the other SW fans I was describing above, I was right there with them (and her!) - each step of the way - I was still, okay, this is still going to be worth it. Even after the price - no, I couldn't drop that immediately, but I could save up for it and just spend less on other Star Wars stuff this year and go next year.

Personally, I knew it was over when I saw the activities list. It clearly was aimed at small children - which, I guess, WDW, not to be unexpected - but on the other hand, I expected some of that stuff - but I also expected a whole lot more. Even then, though - I was like, if it looks really cool, I'll have to go, even if it's just to walk around for two days and take pictures. And then when I saw glorified High School Promland...well, you know the rest.

Just as a side note for those at home who might appreciate the comparison - two nights at this hotel would cost a family of 4 the same amount as having a life size replica of Darth Vader in their house for the rest of their lives. (And, funny enough, as I check it now, even at $8K, this non-numbered edition has sold out LOL - Star Wars fans have plenty of scratch to spend - many way more than me, the crown of my collection is a 1/6 scale Jabba the Hutt who is about four feet wide that costs about a grand. Though some day I aspire to have a life-size Han in Carbonite, which is about the same cost as Vader.)

AEfx

That is where I land and while I am all for them trying again, don't think it will work.

I didn't go so this is obviously all conjecture but my guess is the "ship" was at least good enough to set the scene and ambiance but it was really the actors and interactions with them that people loved. Those personal moments where you really got to feel like you were a part of the story. You don’t get that for cheap no matter how you try to do it so I doubt they will be able to whittle it down and maintain what made it so popular for those that went.

Yes, it needs to be said that NONE of this reflects on the cast members that did their dangdest to make this work. That's honestly the only good thing I have personally heard people say. They deserved WAY better to work with, and what they were able to do with what little they had is absolutely admirable.

On the broader topic of how something like this can actually work at WDW - that's something that is very tricky. Because, even if you get past the price of the experience itself, then what? Unless you are local or within a few hours drive, you are going to be spending the rest of the week at WDW. So basically you are talking at least ten grand for a week at that point.

Given that a) very few people these days have ten grand to spend on a week's vacation, and b) if you do have ten grand to spend on a week's vacation, you literally could go almost any place in the world, you are talking a very select audience unless they are obsessed with the theme - which is why Star Wars would have been perfect for it - and I just can't think of much even with Disney's breadth of IP they could use which could really justify that for a lot of folks.

Personally, I think the surveys are trying to just dig up any good feedback they can find, so they can internally justify not firing every single person involved in making decisions for it, LOL - or at the least, trying to at least salvage what good info they can from such a disaster. I don't think they are going to try this again any time soon, at least not at WDW. When you think about it, this would have been a much better choice for DLR, or even a city like NY.

They clearly put it at WDW so they could pad out the experience with the theme park visit, but if they want to sell a 2-night super-high priced thing like this, I honestly think it would do better anywhere but WDW, as it's already a full-week destination, and when you compound all the costs above, I see it very difficult for anyone but the truly wealthy to feel like they got their money's worth with a fragmented experience like that.

_caleb

I see the Starcrusier as just the latest step in Disney's broader attempt to develop (and monetize) interactive themed entertainment:

Walk around characters --> streetmosphere--> Dinner shows--> Meet and Greet as an "attraction" --> interactive queue elements--> in-park, app-based games/puzzles --> Pirates/Sorcerers/Kim Possible/Phineas and Ferb/Ducktales --> SW:GE--> Avengers Campus --> Starcruiser --> ?

I'm sure I missed something and got these out of order, but something will be next.

TP2000

As far as “total misfire”…it opened/got cut and closed in 1 year. Name the list of Disney projects that had that happened? The list is short…but distinguished.

Off the top of my head, they are mostly things from the awful Paul Pressler era in Anaheim...

Light Magic
Rocket Rods
Superstar Limo
Journey Into Your Imagination
Kite Tails
Harmonious

You could also add DCA 1.0 in general, but that was such a massive blunder that it took them a decade to fix it.

Because Pressler was mostly confined to Anaheim before he was let go, his impact on WDW was minimal. This seems like it could have been a Paul Pressler project, although Bob Chapek is a pretty good analog for Pressler.

Pressler still had better hair though.

mysto

Regardless of the actual use they come up with for the Starcruiser I think a critical element is the connection to the park. It MUST be continuous, like a peoplemover. Not a periodic truck or train which leaves me feeling trapped. Imagine a peoplemover cruising around the second story of SGE. Great for the riders and the atmosphere for those on the ground. They could even add the peoplemover terminal to the Starcruiser truck port and use the truck during breakdowns. There will be breakdowns won't there?

If it must be a sleepover, off hours SGE access would goose demand.

But my real hope is that it becomes a side trip from SGE. Restaurant, shopping, maybe models from the fims. Small attractions, small shows. Maybe a wedgie proof waterslide.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Regardless of the actual use they come up with for the Starcruiser I think a critical element is the connection to the park. It MUST be continuous, like a peoplemover. Not a periodic truck or train which leaves me feeling trapped.
Why? because you want freedom to come and go as you please? Or because somehow a continuous loop changes something story wise?

Imagine a peoplemover cruising around the second story of SGE. Great for the riders and the atmosphere for those on the ground. They could even add the peoplemover terminal to the Starcruiser truck port and use the truck during breakdowns. There will be breakdowns won't there?

And what happens once you leave the stage area of SGE? a 20 min dark tunnel?

I'm genuinely curious what you think these changes would bring to be so different..

If it must be a sleepover, off hours SGE access would goose demand.

The number one complaint you see online from 'I would not go' crowd is price. Now you want them to operate the theme park and all that staff and overhead for this incredibly small audience?? What do you think that would do to prices? Do you also recognize Disney must PROTECT the value of such exclusive access to the park? If you can get such private access for $500.. don't you see how that would hurt Disney's ability to convince corporatations to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for similar access?

But my real hope is that it becomes a side trip from SGE. Restaurant, shopping, maybe models from the fims. Small attractions, small shows. Maybe a wedgie proof waterslide.

You'd be better off building an indoor mall attached to SGE.

EPCOT-O.G.

I'm skeptical that any amount of marketing could have saved them from the "$5000 Star Wars hotel" meme because (a) the price was what it was and (b) a Star Wars hotel is literally what everyone expected and had been begging for. It's hard to understand how they so massively misread the room.
Do not underestimate corporate greed and hubris. “You want Vader and Luke and Leia? Sorry, here’s our version instead.”

JD80

Time to repost my Venn diagram:

View attachment 750007

In my personal situation, I am fully in the top two circles, having watched the OT in the theaters, bought the action figures, own the movies in Beta, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. But while I could easily afford the cost, the thought of role playing for two days did not appeal to me. I’m not a fan of mystery parties, escape rooms, nor (gasp) the Adventurers Club. Not my cup of tea.

This isn’t to say cost was no factor. I have tried mystery parties, escape rooms, and the Adventurers Club back in the day, since the cost barrier was so low. Even though I’m a huge Star Wars fan, I would have hated to drop $5k only to be less than thrilled with the experience.

You ever been to a Star Wars Celebration? That space in the middle is bigger than you think.

mysto

Not a periodic truck or train which leaves me feeling trapped.
Why? because you want freedom to come and go as you please? Or because somehow a continuous loop changes something story wise?
The trapped thing. Wait 15 minutes, load up with a small crowd, disembark with the crowd. I think casually transiting would be more fun.
And what happens once you leave the stage area of SGE? a 20 min dark tunnel?
They would come up with something?
The number one complaint you see online from 'I would not go' crowd is price. Now you want them to operate the theme park and all that staff and overhead for this incredibly small audience?? What do you think that would do to prices?
I think it would be fun and popular. Disney can count their money themselves, they seem quite eager to.
You'd be better off building an indoor mall attached to SGE.
I don't think there's room and the Starcruiser is already there. Aren't you worried about the money?

dreamfinder912

... and home many people that small group would be willing to do it more then once? I don't know the numbers but I would assume a big part of Disney's revenue comes from repeat visitors.
Almost everyone. Even right up until the end people had their first voyage Sept 14 and spent all day everyday until the bitter end calling to try to get back on again. We made it on four times, and most of the people we've met through Starcruiser were on voyage 2+ as well. The one and done category definitely exists, but it's very small.

dreamfinder912

Personally, I knew it was over when I saw the activities list. It clearly was aimed at small children - which, I guess, WDW, not to be unexpected - but on the other hand, I expected some of that stuff - but I also expected a whole lot more. Even then, though - I was like, if it looks really cool, I'll have to go, even if it's just to walk around for two days and take pictures. And then when I saw glorified High School Promland...well, you know the rest.

We were super nervous because of the assumption it would be geared to and focused on kids. We were whatever exists beyond pleasantly surprised (stunned? Thrilled? Idk) our first cruise to find oh this is for us too. We figured like everything else at Disney we, the childfree millennials, would enjoy from the background and make our own fun.

The activities are fronts for story pieces, they're distractions or code. But how in the world Disney expected anyone to think "hmm this looks like it'd still be fun" like we did is absolutely beyond me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sounds like they're trying to see how they might be able to make parts of Starcrusin' into an add-on package for someone already going to DHS - basically, still pay-walling the dinner and a show while using as much technology as possible to replace as much of the human labor as possible.

Also, if this thing truly had such high guest satisfaction (which to me, should be tempered a bit by the fact that apparently there was a lot of repeat customers, so why wouldn't they score it high), there could still be some valuable data when crafting other guest experiences, upcharge or otherwise, in the future.
Sounds like the most obtuse idea ever…
Kudos to tightpants and the sweater for outdoing themselves - if true

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just going to throw this out there...

It is possible this whole thing was a poor business decision that is doomed to never make them any money while also being loved by those that gave it a try. If pointing that out means I'm a shill then so be it. I'm not going to deny reality just because I don't understand the appeal and would never spend money on it personally.

I don’t think you’re a shill…let me be clear.

You just went on “experiency” overload there and I’m playing with you.

It was a gamble…and they didn’t pull it off. I do kinda give them credit for trying…

But still…not really a mistake that should have been made. They absolutely have never pooched their market research prior to build like this…never close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom