Spur of the moment trip??

awalte7

I hope this is in the right place...

So I'm having this miserable day and they are prediciting snow AGAIN and I was daydreaming on my computer thinking of nice warm happy places when I came across some decent flights/hotels to/in orlando. Now I am seriously considering packing my bags and going.

My question is have any of you ever done this? Booked a flight the night before and just went ALONE? I consider myself an expert at disney because I've been there so many times. But never alone. Is it still as much fun? Are the lines more frustrating, trying to get on as a single rider?

It just seems like part of the fun is pointing at things and saying look at this or hey do you smell that...But my trip that was planned for february was cancelled and I am mourning that.

So let me know Disney people. Have you done this? Would you do it? Any tips for the lone traveler. I can put off the trip until monday but the snow is coming tuesday...Oh and I guess any info on crowds and things to watch out for during the first week of march would be awesome too.

My suggestion for the suggestion box, Disney needs to have ready-made families that you can rent at the gate:hammer:

golenium

I'd say you should definitely do this! Some of my favorite times in Disney have been when I've gone off and done my own thing for a few hours while everybody else wanted to relax at the hotel or do some shopping. I'm not sure that it would be fun for say, 3 or 4 days of being alone, but at least you could do whatever you wanted and not have to worry about anybody else.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

awalte7 said:
I hope this is in the right place...

So I'm having this miserable day and they are prediciting snow AGAIN and I was daydreaming on my computer thinking of nice warm happy places when I came across some decent flights/hotels to/in orlando. Now I am seriously considering packing my bags and going.

My question is have any of you ever done this? Booked a flight the night before and just went ALONE? I consider myself an expert at disney because I've been there so many times. But never alone. Is it still as much fun? Are the lines more frustrating, trying to get on as a single rider?

It just seems like part of the fun is pointing at things and saying look at this or hey do you smell that...But my trip that was planned for february was cancelled and I am mourning that.

So let me know Disney people. Have you done this? Would you do it? Any tips for the lone traveler. I can put off the trip until monday but the snow is coming tuesday...Oh and I guess any info on crowds and things to watch out for during the first week of march would be awesome too.

My suggestion for the suggestion box, Disney needs to have ready-made families that you can rent at the gate:hammer:
I haven't done it yet, but if it were not for my job, I would do it in a heartbeat! I couldn't survive the winter without our annual February trips to WDW!

BTW, if you want to rent a family, count us in!!!!!

*packs a bag and waits for the phone call!*

Upvote 0

e4ymod

I do it all the time. I just decide it's time for pick-me-up and just go. Some of my favorite times in Disney have been in those "cause I just feel like it" trips.

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

I have done spur of the moment trips. Not a next day trip but a two week away trip (which is big for me because I am a TYPE A person, a planner). I don't think I'd go down by myself because I think I'd get bored standing in line by myself. I am definately a people person and hate being alone. Have fun though if you decide to go for it!

Upvote 0

Slosh

last summer I had plans to meet my cousin in orlando for a week's vacation, but I had some time off and at the last minute decided to leave a couple days early. Spent about 48 hours bumming around Epcot and such on my own, it was a nice change of pace. Nobody who wants to go on a ride you don't, you can slow down and catch movies and little things, and its more relaxing. I know its a vacation, but as far as vacations go I usually feel Disney is a bit more hectic than most, so much to see and all. I would reccomend trying it.

oh yeah, best part- I woke up early one morning to check out AK, but it was so hot and there were so many people at the bus station I decided to just go back to bed and try it in a couple hours. Try doing that with a family in tow!

Upvote 0

Pongo

Do it!

Going to Disney by yourself is a whole different breed of animal, and sometimes better. You get to go at your own pace and take in things that you didn't take in before. I love it.

I say go for it!

Upvote 0

DisneyPride

Two weeks ago, feb. 17th to be exact, we woke up that Friday morning and decided that we should go to Disney for the weekend. We went to work that day but we both got out fairly early. AFter making sure that we could get a hotel reservation on the same day (we couldn't stay on property since there were no rooms available, it was because of President's Day and the Daytona 500) we picked up the kids and packed 1 suitcase. I must admit it was a bit stressful that Friday. Just making sure I had the essentials for my 1 year old was time consuming. Then we had to put gas. Then ofcourse, it was rush hour at the Florida turnpike ( I was not expecting that much delay at 3:45 p.m.) WE had dinner reservations at 9:00 p.m. at Gulliver's(character dinner) in the Swan , we were hungry and looking foward to the kids enjoying some of the evening. After several hours on the road, we pulled up to the resort at 9:03 p.m. We had a stressful day and night but it was worth it because:

Saturday was a GREAT day!!! I was expecting more crowds, it was full but average. We arrived at the MK early and then around 3:30 p.m. took the monorail to Epcot. The day lasted forever and we got what we were looking for: to get away from it all!!!! On Sunday morning we ate at McDonalds in DD and shopped. It was a great morning too!! The trip was costly for such a short time (when we plan the trips, we save more). It was worth it...

The best times are those "Spur of the Moment" times! Just wanted to share my experience. We always go to Disney for a week because we feel that a weekend is not enough for us. We like to rest and relax in between everything. HOwever, I think we'll be doing more weekend trips and the week long vacation.

Upvote 0

steviej

In June we went to Disney on a spur the moment to escape a tragedy. Even if it was for a weekend, I would go again in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

Going alone is a different experience but still a great one.
  • As pointed out, you don't have to please anyone but yourself
  • You tend to strike up more conversations and meet more people
  • You can get in all the singles lines easily
  • You can take some extra opportunities to help others - like taking photos of families, helping kids get a good spot at the parade
  • Disney CMs and characters will make more of a fuss over you
All of these are very compatible with needing a pick-me-up weekend, and are not as available if you are with someone else.

Upvote 0

Mimi

Do it and you will be my hero and inspiration!!! I have always wanted to do this! It would take great courage, but think of the fun you will have!! You can do anything... go anywhere.... :dazzle:

You could ride your favorite ride over and over or just walk around the parks shopping and talking to people all day. Do it!!! When will you ever get this opportunity again?

Upvote 0

kal1484

I do it all the time, now that I'm a Floridian, but when I lived in MI, my dad decided one day over X-mas break we were going. My mom booked the hotel, dad went to work, we packed, and when he got back, we left! It was the BEST trip ever, even though it turned out to be FREEZING all the time we were there. :brick:

Upvote 0

Nansafan

I have not done the alone thing as I am a wife/mother who'd be disowned if I took off for WDW on my own one day. My brother has done the alone trip twice, once on a conference and once to visit a cousin who was in the college program. John said it was great. Though he missed being with us other WDW lovers, he struck up conversation with other people in line even getting a Test Track FP from one family who had a grandmother who decided to go back to the resort to rest. DO IT is my opinion. If I could, I would.

Upvote 0

LaughingGravy

My brother is down there now.He arrived Sun. and will be there until Thu.
There are some company meetings planned, but will likely be very short.
He's been emailing me on his blackberry and I've been enjoying his trip with him vicariously. He has no plans on meeting up with anyone else aside for the business reasons and is loving every minute of it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom