SPOILERS: Avatar 2: The Way of Water (Dec 16, 2022)

Wendy Pleakley

The plot needs to move in a very different direction in the next film. They can't just do different settings and have the same plot. There needs to be a brand new enemy and, maybe, eventually have the Navii work WITH the humans to eradicate that enemy. Perhaps Spider is the key to bringing both species together. If they continue to recycle, this franchise isn't going anywhere.

I don't disagree, especially if part 3 releases in a year. They can get away with it once given the gap between films, but can they get away with it again so soon?

However, audiences come out for and seem to enjoy movies that are loose remakes. See The Force Awakens, Maverick, and Jurassic World amongst others. Maybe a general audience does just want a repeat experience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
The plot needs to move in a very different direction in the next film. They can't just do different settings and have the same plot. There needs to be a brand new enemy and, maybe, eventually have the Navii work WITH the humans to eradicate that enemy. Perhaps Spider is the key to bringing both species together. If they continue to recycle, this franchise isn't going anywhere.
It seems, from what I read, that A3 will be mostly a culmination of A2, and thus form a trilogy.

Then, A4 is completely off the rails.

Remember, in the end, FoJ is the culmination of A1 thru A5.

gerarar

Premium Member
Okay but why did the scene with the mamma whale thing and her calf have to hit so hard?

I was sitting there sad, angry, and plotting the demise of the human species.
I wonder if they shot scenes of them extracting the yellow gooey stuff from the calf but cut it due to it being cruel..

I was so surprised and caught off guard when they showed the dead mother with her calf..

mysto

An alien race of Bender robots swoops in to "kill all humans".

And the human audience cheers. Because the humans are such jerks and deserve it.

BrianLo

I didn't really interpret Spider as ever switching sides? Even if it is telegraphing. He eventually is a bit more empathetic and seems a bit more earnest to bridge the cultural divides with some translation... but a bit more Stockholm syndrome. Otherwise when they start getting up to actual villainy he is disgusted. The Dad saving move at the end is mostly tit for tat.

Thankfully Jake finally recognizes him at the end... but boy do both Jake and Neytiri discard him constantly. Jake to his credit is just kind of a bad dad to all of them. I was quite offended on his behalf when they were all celebrating their escape together at the end of the movie and not one person seemed interested in his whereabouts. Likewise the total lack of motivation to rescue him for the majority of the movie.

gerarar

Premium Member
I didn't really interpret Spider as ever switching sides? Even if it is telegraphing. He eventually is a bit more empathetic and seems a bit more earnest to bridge the cultural divides with some translation... but a bit more Stockholm syndrome. Otherwise when they start getting up to actual villainy he is disgusted. The Dad saving move at the end is mostly tit for tat.

Thankfully Jake finally recognizes him at the end... but boy do both Jake and Neytiri discard him constantly. Jake to his credit is just kind of a bad dad to all of them. I was quite offended on his behalf when they were all celebrating their escape together at the end of the movie and not one person seemed interested in his whereabouts. Likewise the total lack of motivation to rescue him for the majority of the movie.
Kiri was pretty much the only one that cared about Spider throughout the events of the movie after he was captured. She cried, sought, and worried for him. It also makes sense the two "outsiders" of the family bond and easily relate with one another.

I for one, am here for their friendship lol. They have a great dynamic imo.

kamnasrivastava

While I don't think the story itself is better, I thought the character dynamics in The Way of Water were much more interesting than those in the first film. I really liked the Sully kids, especially Kiri and Lo'ak. I also think what they did with Quaritch transformed him from a boring one-dimensional bad guy into a pretty great villain.

Phroobar

While I don't think the story itself is better, I thought the character dynamics in The Way of Water were much more interesting than those in the first film. I really liked the Sully kids, especially Kiri and Lo'ak. I also think what they did with Quaritch transformed him from a boring one-dimensional bad guy into a pretty great villain.
Agreed. Quaritch was a lot more scary as a smart driven blue guy. He could play physically on the same level as Jake now. He's not a straw man like so many villains today are.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was trying to figure out where teenage Sigourney Weaver came from. There was the scene where the Na'vi try to transfer her mind into the Avatar body but fail. I assume that Avatar body is still alive even without the paired human. I guess the Force created a baby and transferred Sigourney's mind into it.

It also seems Miles' mother was not in Avatar but came from a comic book. There is no character named Paz Socorro

She was clearly conceived by Eywa. Kiri = Jesus.

Grace's mind isn't in Kiri. Kiri is her own person. Not like Quaritch and his avatar self.

I assume during that ceremony something went wrong.

I'd phrase it as "during that ceremony, something unexpected happened." I don't think it was "wrong," I think it was Eywa's intent. But Kiri is her own person, she's not a new body that inherited Grace's consciousness.

Makes me wonder what the Na'vi did with the sleeping avatar body. Wouldn't they see it as an abomination? Would they kill it or feed it and take care of it? I would assume the human scientists took it. It got to be in one of those comic books.

Could it be Grace's consciousness reborn? That could be interesting.

Just like Jake was able to talk to his oldest son (deceased) in the great mind-link, Kiri was able to talk to Grace.

So, I assume that Kiri is not just an reincarnation of Grace.

But since Eywa brought about a virgin birth in Grace's body, I'm assuming Kiri is an Avatar (get it?) of Eywa.

Ghost93

Just like Jake was able to talk to his oldest son (deceased) in the great mind-link, Kiri was able to talk to Grace.

So, I assume that Kiri is not just an reincarnation of Grace.

But since Eywa brought about a virgin birth in Grace's body, I'm assuming Kiri is an Avatar (get it?) of Eywa.
I wonder if there is something sinister, in a spiritual sense, about Kiri. When she asked Grace who her father was, she was almost killed. Could Kiri's conception be due to an evil force that is in opposition to Eywa?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I wonder if there is something sinister, in a spiritual sense, about Kiri. When she asked Grace who her father was, she was almost killed. Could Kiri's conception be due to an evil force that is in opposition to Eywa?
Cool, but, given the theme of the movie, doubtful.

Cameron gives it away with her name.

I'll leave that as a challenge for folks to figure out. :D

Kiri Eywa... Kyrie Eleison, Greek for "Lord have mercy"

Ghost93

Cool, but, given the theme of the movie, doubtful.

Cameron gives it away with her name.

I'll leave that as a challenge for folks to figure out. :D

Kiri Eywa... Kyrie Eleison, Greek for "Lord have mercy"
I think Kiri could potentially embody both the light and evil side of Pandora's spirituality. But this franchise is so relatively new that it could really go in any direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom