Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebeau

I'm gonna be that girl right now, but to any of you complaining that the people upset about this change are the snowflakes just remember this. You are the ones that made the initial stink, you decided to stick your hand in the dumpster fire that is the Theme park fan community. This is not Marvel comics, this is not Tumblr. We are ratchet and we don't care about social justice crap. Just like when Pirates was changed you are going to see a war of astronomical levels.

Maybe you should care about justice just a little bit. Some of us value it more than a robotic bunny.

21stamps

This is what I don't get. People argue against the change because it's a business decision. And then on the other hand, Disney is virtue signaling. Or they are at the mercy of the woke mob. Which is it?

Yes, it's obviously a business decision. Welcome to capitalism, folks!

Do you think the Disney executives woke up one day, and thought “Splash Mountain is an unpopular attraction, how can we re-theme it to attract guests to that area?”

Or,are they replying to current loud social media outrage, proving how woke they are, with a surface level showing by sticking a princess on one of their already most popular attractions?

Bill in Atlanta

Are you really confused about the difference between calling out a racist for a blatantly racist statement and stifling concerns about systematic racism? You equate the two?
You're making my point for me.

Of course we have the ability to evaluate the merits of others' complaints without walking in their shoes. Judges do it every day.

Earlier, the opposite was said in this thread, in defense of the initial anti-Splash Mountain complainers.

orlandogal22

We switched to Universal years ago. For us, it's a better experience although that choice has nothing to do with politics.

We're APs to Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and Legoland.

As a former CM and long-time AP at Disney, I honestly feel like I've been having a better time at every park BUT Disney for the last handful of years. I know this will tick people off but a big part of the shift for me actually have, indeed, been the Disney fans. Not only are many Disney guests more entitled-acting ( I know this firsthand from working in Guest Services at the Yacht & Beach years ago), but it's almost like if you do not believe a certain way (as evidenced among this thread and others I've participated in), you are somehow bad, stupid, not a true fan, etc.

I don't get that rabid "my way or the highway" vibe at any other park or among any other fanbase. We can just go there and enjoy it - without feeling like we don't have the "it" next new thing, the "it" next new bandwagon to jump on, etc.

The Disney I knew and love has changed under Iger (and through social media) and I barely recognize it much of the time anymore - and this was before the Splash Mountain news.

And disclaimer - I'm simply voicing my opinion, not looking for a fight.

GeneralZod

No one in this thread has labeled anyone racist. Try again.
It was implied that I called someone a racist, which is why I stated it.
Oh sorry -- I haven't called anyone an "-ist."
That's it. I don't care who celebrates me leaving this site after 13 years, but I am done.

Get the hell out of here with this crap you racist POS.

That didn't take long.

Dan Deesnee

So because you aren't offended... thats the end all be all?

The problem is that someone, somewhere, can always find a way to be "offended" by just about anything. I have Scottish heritage and sorry but the beloved Princess Merida is a stereotype. If you loved that character how would you feel about me and tens of thousands of others bending Disney and forcing them to remove her and all Brave merchandise from the parks and from the MK Fireworks show? Or maybe I have dwarfism and do the same to 7 Dwarfs Mine train and all references to the dwarfs? What if I'm Nepalese and find the representation in Animal Kingdom offensive and petition for an entire re-theme of that area?

Sometimes you will be offended. Life isn't always fair and equal. There are much, MUCH more important things we could be doing to help poor communities to have a better future than doing a re-theme on Splash Mountain.

How about Disney take the $50 million from this re-theme and put it towards the devastated urban school systems that need it so desperately? Most people calling for this re-theme as a hugely important thing are playing a game and don't really care about helping anyone.

Go find something better to do than destroy mostly harmless entertainment attractions that many MILLIONS more people have enjoyed than have been offended by. That is, if you really care about people so much...

ImperfectPixie

But again... should rides always stay the same? Should the parks never change?
You apparently didn't pay attention to my last response, so I'll say it again here. By removing ALL of the older attractions, Disney is removing things that allow parents to share pieces of their own childhood with their children in a meaningful, tangible way outside of stories and photographs. For children, a parent telling them "when I was a kid" stories are just that - they are intangible stories and difficult to imagine. Bring those stories to life in a tangible experience, and not only do adults have a connection to them, but they create a space in which they can connect with their children in ways that aren't usually possible. There is a lot to be said for something when a parent can say to their child "you know, the first time I rode this, I was only 10!" My best friend went on a 1st birthday celebration trip with her first grandchild last year - so there were THREE GENERATIONS of one family all enjoying shared elements of their childhoods together.

PrincessNelly_NJ

The problem is that someone, somewhere, can always find a way to be "offended" by just about anything. I have Scottish heritage and sorry but the beloved Princess Merida is a stereotype. If you loved that character how would you feel about me and tens of thousands of others bending Disney and forcing them to remove her and all Brave merchandise from the parks? Or maybe I have dwarfism and do the same to 7 Dwarfs Mine train and all references to the dwarfs? What if I'm Nepalese and find the representation in Animal Kingdom offensive and petition for an entire re-theme of that area?

Sometimes you will be offended. Life isn't always fair and equal. There are much, MUCH more important things we could be doing to help poor communities to have a better future than doing a re-theme on Splash Mountain.

How about Disney take the $50 million from this re-theme and put it towards the devastated urban school systems that need it so desperately? Most people calling for this re-theme as a hugely important thing are playing a game and don't really care about helping anyone.

Go find something better to do than destroy mostly harmless entertainment attractions that many MILLIONS more people have enjoyed than have been offended by. That is, if you really care about people so much...
Please read through this thread. All your points have already been discussed...

PrincessNelly_NJ

You apparently didn't pay attention to my last response, so I'll say it again here. By removing ALL of the older attractions, Disney is removing things that allow parents to share pieces of their own childhood with their children in a meaningful, tangible way outside of stories and photographs. For children, a parent telling them "when I was a kid" stories are just that - they are intangible stories and difficult to imagine. Bring those stories to life in a tangible experience, and not only do adults have a connection to them, but they create a space in which they can connect with their children in ways that aren't usually possible. There is a lot to be said for something when a parent can say to their child "you know, the first time I rode this, I was only 10!" My best friend went on a 1st birthday celebration trip with her first grandchild last year - so there were THREE GENERATIONS of one family all enjoying shared elements of their childhoods together.

You can still do this via Youtube. Also, the ride will still be there in a slightly different format.

You can explain it to the next generations

MrMcDuck

I'm gonna be that girl right now, but to any of you complaining that the people upset about this change are the snowflakes just remember this. You are the ones that made the initial stink, you decided to stick your hand in the dumpster fire that is the Theme park fan community. This is not Marvel comics, this is not Tumblr. We are ratchet and we don't care about social justice crap. Just like when Pirates was changed you are going to see a war of astronomical levels. [/MEDIA]

It’s definitely very different from the Marvel fandom, Tumblr, or Twitter. No leftist groupthink and a wide variety of opinions with actual discussion. Thank goodness.

The_Jobu

The problem is that someone, somewhere, can always find a way to be "offended" by just about anything. I have Scottish heritage and sorry but the beloved Princess Merida is a stereotype. If you loved that character how would you feel about me and tens of thousands of others bending Disney and forcing them to remove her and all Brave merchandise from the parks and from the MK Fireworks show? Or maybe I have dwarfism and do the same to 7 Dwarfs Mine train and all references to the dwarfs? What if I'm Nepalese and find the representation in Animal Kingdom offensive and petition for an entire re-theme of that area?

That's the rub. The ride is harmless and completely unoffensive. If people need to see themselves exactly to enjoy a theme park, they should ask for a new ride to be built, not take away a favourite to do it on the cheap.

lebeau

It's both. Virtue signaling is good for business. If they cared about representation they would build patf a ride, not just half *** over an old one in a park that needs more capacity attractions.

Why is everything always "virtue signaling?" I know it's a buzz word that gets repeated a lot. I find the term to be inherently dismissive. It's just a way of disparaging something without dealing with it.

Who decides what's genuine and what's "virtue signaling"? You I guess.

Goofnut1980

I think this will look awesome.. But I sure hope they retheme Frontierland. It is not relivant to todays youth. Plus it just doesnt have that much of a cool Disney feel.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Also, sometimes the right thing to do is both.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Absolutely we will. However, no child gets off the ride now thinking less of themselves. Unless they wet their pants because they were scared. 😁

The only people who get offended are those who are looking to be offended. The point of the ride is to have fun and Disney was successful with Splash. I agree they can change it to something else and it will still be fun. My point is that the average guest doesn't give a hoot about the racial implications of the ride, because quite frankly they aren't looking for them. We are talking about a movie that the majority of guests haven't seen. So they have no preconceived context entering the ride. My kids didn't even know it was based on a movie. My kids have no clue about black voice stereotypes from the 1940's. Most people don't get off the ride thinking about race.

I encourage all of you to do some research on song of the south as well as the author who created the Uncle Remus stories, Joel Chandler Harris. I found it to be interesting and I can see both points of view. Below are two black viewpoints from the time period.

The NAACP Slammed the Movie
Through the NAACP commended the movie’s technical wizardry and its blend of animation and live action, the organization said in a statement that it “regrets, however, that in an effort neither to offend audiences in the North or South, the production helps to perpetuate a dangerously glorified picture of slavery … [the film] unfortunately gives the impression of an idyllic master-slave relationship, which is a distortion of the facts.”

The Film’s Cast Stood Behind the Movie
“Song of the South” counts Hattie McDaniel, the “Gone With the Wind” star and first black entertainer to win an Academy Award, among its ensemble cast. In a 1947 interview, she told the American publication The Criterion, “If I had for one moment considered any part of the picture degrading or harmful to my people, I would not have appeared therein.” Her co-star James Baskett echoed her support of the film, saying, “I believe that certain groups are doing my race more harm in seeking to create dissension than can ever possibly come out of the ‘Song of the South.’”

We've never seen the movie, but I bought the book for my daughter last Christmas because it's her favorite ride. The book stories are all fables. Like Aesop's stories. They are cute folklore stories.

The one thing that would differentiate the ride from the books as far as race, imo, is the voices, and the way they made Brer Rabbit sound a bit like the Foreman in Gone With the Wind. It's doesn't stop us from enjoying the ride at all. But I'm also white. So.... I don't know.... I kind of am ambivalent to the theme of the ride, but I'm also not going to judge those who say the ride theme does affect them. My experience isn't theirs, but that doesn't mean their views are invalid. If this ride truly offends people, it maybe should be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom