Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

We love TSI and the Treehouse too. I have great memories on both as a kid, and then later with my own family. Some simplicity is still needed in life, and at Disney parks, imo.

@SteamboatJoe , that’s what I feel like. All of the drama and uproar over Mark Twain and Huck in the past, how long before someone decides that Tom Sawyer’s Island is offensive too... and even if not, will it even make sense in a new looking Frontierland.

Anyway, my biggest problem with this decision (other than nostalgia) is that Frontierland reminded me so much of the Disney of my youth.. back when princess movies weren’t the bulk of what they put out.
I don’t want a princess in every land.

Adventureland toFrontierland was always the most "boyish" swath of MK to me.
Certainly these things can and have been be enjoyed by girls too.
Fantasyland by contrast was the side more geared towards girls.

Parker in NYC

The animal AA’s were taken from America Sings in Disneyland, which was a Marc Davis creation; I don’t see why they couldn’t be repurpose in a Princess and the Frog re-theme either, maybe in a Mama Odie scene.

I don’t know whether he had any involvement in Splash Mountain beyond that, maybe in a consultancy role. But his contributions could potentially stick around; the more Marc Davis ideas and creations in the parks, the better.

I'm hoping the critters stick around. And frankly, if we lose "FSU" I'll chain myself to the vultures.

PeoplemoverTTA

At some point, though, complaints have to be evaluated, no? We can't just say "welp, some people said they were offended, we have to give in."

That's not what Disney is saying. In fact, they knew the movie (and elements of the ride drawn from the movie) were problematic for years. Now, they've decided to do something about it.

It's not giving in, but realizing that it was finally the time to make changes.

PeoplemoverTTA

The good ol' days weren't good for everybody.

Isn't it hysterical. We don't find meaning in our lives? 🤣 There are people in this thread that have admitted to vomiting and hiding themselves in another room to sob.

But those of us who can acknowledge and admit that, yeah, there are some racist elements in this ride and Disney made a reasonable decision, are the ones who dont have "meaning."

🤣

John park hopper

[QUOTE="getdislove, post: 9293625, member: 13766
Imagine loving a theme park so much, but when you visit, you never see people who look like you being represented in the attractions. It’s actually insulting.
[/QUOTE]
I feel the same way when I watch the NBA no white players that look like me

orlandogal22

Adventureland toFrontierland was always the most "boyish" swath of MK to me.
Certainly these things can and have been be enjoyed by girls too.
Fantasyland by contrast was the side more geared towards girls.

It's funny because, when I was a teen girl visiting the parks in the early 90s, I gravitated toward all the "boy" stuff and to this day, find Fantasyland (and new Fantasyland) to be my least favorite part of the parks.

I was never big into princesses myself. I loved adventure, mystery, history, etc. so definitely Frontierland, Adventureland and Liberty Square, appealed to me more. (I could take or leave Tomorrowland).

PrincessNelly_NJ

Correct. We don’t need it. We don’t really need anything to link to the past, in theme parks or anywhere outside of museums.. One option would be to just level it, start from scratch, all robots, then we can’t possibly offend anyone.

I know that sounds extreme.. the thing is, time evolves, history is complicated, and if we look for everything to be 100% perfect and innocent at every single level, even as far as when not depicted in a ride, then we’re setting an impossible bar.
We know nothing is perfect but the goal is to try to be better for future generations. That is why Disney is doing this.

Brer Oswald

The thing that gets me the most is that I’ve spent my entire life in support of this Company. I’ve always defended the company against the ignorant people who would try to trash it. I’ve spent so much time and money with Disney.

But that doesn’t matter to them. Customer loyalty means nothing to Modern Disney. They’ve stripped away everything I’ve loved and enjoyed about them. If it had just been Splash, and everything else about the company was going great, I could take it just fine. But their movies are becoming soulless. Epcot is becoming more soulless. And this all happens while they increase prices, up charge, and disregard fans.

I get that to some, Splash was a problem because it was guilty through association. And to that, I say, you should’ve made a new association. But now you’ll just bury it and pretend like it never happened. Bury me and pretend like I never was here. Okay. I get it. I’m not welcome here. I’ll just go some place else.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I agree, this will never go in the history books. It’s not about removing the ride itself, and I will gladly give the new ride a chance to impress; it’s about what the removal of the ride represents. It represents “cancel culture” at its finest.

Cancel culture only exists because too many people have stopped finding meaning in their lives in the traditional places. What’s left to do at that point? Worship at the altar of social media and virtue signaling.
is this cancel culture or accountability.

PeoplemoverTTA

I feel the same way when I watch the NBA no white players that look like me

You couldn't help but go back to the racist statements in this thread after you killed the other one and had it moved to the Politics section with your racist rants?

John, I respect your service, but I am really disappointed in you. My father in law was a proud Vietnam veteran who believed in an equal America for all. I wish you could open your eyes and see that as well.

lebeau

Correct. We don’t need it. We don’t really need anything to link to the past, in theme parks or anywhere outside of museums.. One option would be to just level it, start from scratch, all robots, then we can’t possibly offend anyone.

I know that sounds extreme.. the thing is, time evolves, history is complicated, and if we look for everything to be 100% perfect and innocent at every single level, even as far as when not depicted in a ride, then we’re setting an impossible bar.

The thing is, we're talking about a theme park owned by a multi-media corporation. They aren't obligated to educate their guests on complicated historical issues at the expense of their reputation and the bottom line. Disney is making a business decision which is entirely theirs to make. People seem to be losing sight of that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom