Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoasterSnoop

The issue is that Disney isn’t changing this ride because it’s unpopular, outdated, or bad...

The ride is over 30 years old and Song of the South released in 1946. Put your own idea of what is and isn't outdated aside and think like the Bobs. It is very likely that a key factor in getting this project off the ground was a line of thinking by the board that goes something like: "hey, Splash Mountain is popular, imagine how much more popular it can be if we re-theme it to a much more recent and recognizable film?"

Events that transpired within the past month and a half certainly did not start the entire proposal of a multi-million dollar revamp of one of the more famous Disney rides, again, during a global pandemic. I fully realize that it's possible these tensions influenced the announcement of the retheme, be it the time or the wording or both, but the people at Disney know how to run a business, and this wouldn't be it.

As far as Disney park history goes, a group of people has never been able to change Disney's mind about something (and you likely know as well as I that they've tried) -- they go right ahead with whatever they have in mind.

Yert3

while also being disappointed that Splash is going away forever. I am however worried now that Disney will feel more comfortable to fully replace and demolish the untouchables,
Agreed. This sets a very dangerous precedent for current management. What’s next? Haunted Mansion, Small World? If you would’ve told me ten years ago that SM has any chance of ever being replaced, I would’ve called you out of your mind.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Of course not, but he just wants to virtual signal what a good person he is for agreeing....

If people for changing out the characters related to Song of the South are just virtue signaling their.. what? Wokeness?

Then that would mean everyone who wants to keep an attraction related to Song of the Sought are virtue signaling their.. what? White Supremacy?

Do you hear how that sounds?

Last edited:

LukeS7

Cinderella was forced into domestic slavery, Belle was kept in captivity by a beast, don’t even get me started on the Animal rights violations with Dumbo! Disney have already re-written history with the change of role of the Redhead in Pirates, now they are eliminating history by getting rid of a much loved ride!

Personally, I think that Hall of Presidents is the most offensive - only one black man, no women and no representation of the LGBT community. Given Disney’s propensity to re-write and eliminate history, surely this should be next??
Yea, and the first story you referenced was already rewritten from a violent fairy tale. Applying your logic evenly, I guess Disney should've included Cinderella's step-sisters chopping off their feet and having their eyes pecked out. What? That's not kid-friendly? But shouldn't we be making it accurate to the original???

The_Jobu

Remember fun?

Didn't you hear?
66e.png

Mickey5150

I can already hear "Gonna Take You There" and if they give us an epic Louis animatronic I am so ready for this. If Disney is going to replace one of my favorite rides then I'm glad they are doing it with my favorite movie. While they are at it, retheme Tom Sawyer's Island and give us a place for the Tiana's Palace Restaurant.

Tony Perkis

What really sucks is that log flume rides in general really stank.

Don’t try telling me Dudley’s is a good ride. Dollywood’s log flume ride goes through nice scenery, but it’s totally unthemed. And at the local amusement parks, the ride is always unthemed AND ugly. Splash Mountain was really the only good flume ride in the world. I pray that “Tiana’s Great Journey” or whatever will be up to par. If it is, I will forgive and move on with my life.

Still doesn’t change the fact that this mob rule is dangerous.
Dudley is a good ride.

SoupBone

I can already hear "Gonna Take You There" and if they give us an epic Louis animatronic I am so ready for this. If Disney is going to replace one of my favorite rides then I'm glad they are doing it with my favorite movie. While they are at it, retheme Tom Sawyer's Island and give us a place for the Tiana's Palace Restaurant.

As much as I hate re-theming Tom Sawyer's Island, if they are going all in, a new waterfront restaurant wouldn't be a bad idea. 😄

bryanfze55

How many people are you comfortable offending?

I’m personally comfortable offending a hell of a lot of people, because I believe most “outrage” is disingenuous. It’s just the culture right now, and it’s sick.

When Drew Brees is dragged through the mud for saying he doesn’t agree with kneeling for the anthem, I’m left to assume that people are actively trying to be offended.

TDogg76

This will not happen for a long time. This is lip service to calm the narrative regarding the ride. Disney is hemorrhaging money with the parks being closed. I am sure EPCOT will drastically reduce its expansion and I doubt any capital investments will be put on hold atleast 5 years IMO!

lebeau

I’m personally comfortable offending a hell of a lot of people, because I believe most “outrage” is disingenuous. It’s just the culture right now, and it’s sick.

When Drew Brees is dragged through the mud for saying he doesn’t agree with kneeling for the anthem, I’m left to assume that people are actively trying to be offended.

You might want to try listening to them instead of shutting them down. They have a point.

lilypgirl

Love the ride the way it is but I am not crying over the change. It was becoming dated and needed a new "wow" factor to it IMOP. I will enjoy it this summer and make sure I buy something to remember it by. I will be sassy if Disney doesn't utilize this change as an excuse to start selling benigets at the end of the ride! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom