Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokahoma

Give me a break. Nobody was reminded of America’s history of slavery while riding Splash Mountain.

except for every single person who knew it was connected to Song of the South, or knew about Joel Chandler Harris's stories. and since you'll learn about that connection if you take even five seconds to research the ride--it's in the very first sentence of its Wiki entry--it makes sense to remove that connection altogether.

yeah, I'm worried they'll do a bad job updating this ride. again, it's one of my absolute favorites. but nobody can deny its relationship to that movie, and anybody who doesn't understand why that's troubling to MANY people is being willfully obtuse.

tallica

Sorry if already pointed out, but this will probably take 3 or more years to happen. Think how long Disney takes from announcement to ground breaking to completion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
He [Baxter] said with someone pointing to his contract while being held at gunpoint.
Quote of the day.
He’s [Baxter] getting a check as an advisor.

Do you all know something about Baxter that I don't? Is he known to be a greedy hack who'll sell out principles for money? And you know that personally?

Because if you're impugning someone's character simply because he's involved in a project you don't like, then that's pretty despicable.

SoupBone

Princess and the Frog is a film where the protagonist spends most of the film as a frog because Disney was scared of how people would react to a black protagonist.

I honestly never even considered that. That makes this an even more colossal failure. She needs a complete re-do on her movie as well as a NEW ride. I'm surprised more people aren't upset about going the cheap route with a re-theme of a classic, rather a new ride.

UNCgolf

That's certainly an opinion. Haven't been on it so I couldn't say one way or another myself. But the majority of people I have heard from disagree with you.

To be fair, terrible was hyperbole. It's just mediocre for the reasons I described in another post. Nowhere close to being one of the better rides at WDW.

invader

It's a handful of really impressive AAs surrounded by a lot of empty, unused space, and the ride has no plot or anything. I think people are just impressed by the AAs. It's far too short (as a result of the retrofitting) and there's really just nothing to it beyond seeing Frozen characters and hearing songs from the movie. If you haven't seen the movie or don't care about it, there's really nothing to the ride.

A movie as successful as Frozen deserved a much better ride than Frozen Ever After.
Maelstrom, and Norway, deserved better!

Gringrinngghost

With all that’s going on, I want to quickly talk about media preservation and the outrage over Splash Mountain being re-themed. Some have renewed calls for Disney to not release song of the south. It will be released soon. It will be up public domain in about 30 years. However there is something that needs to be said.

Disney loves to do censorship of their products. Song of the South was movie that was shown multiple times in theaters with the latest release being on 1986 to promote Splash Mountain a work inspired by the story. Disney withdrew the film worldwide in December of 2001. That all being said, I have to agree with how Warner Brothers have released their cartoons from the golden age of Hollywood. In the Looney Toons Golden Collection, Warner Bros presented them as they were made. They did however come with a message.

"The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in the U.S society. These depictions were wrong then and they are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming that these prejudices never existed."

They also go further than Disney. That being said what do we learn when we hide our films we made in the past because of what the social and political landscape was at the time? Yes these types of depictions were wrong but they were common. In 1927, Warner Brothers released a movie called the Jazz Singer. It was a historically significant movie as it was the first talking picture. However it has Al Jolson performing in black face. Mind you in 1927, black face in performance was common at the time. It’s a film that purely for its technological achievements one that will still be released, given that there is still blackface in the picture. There is also a bonus of the Blu-ray release of the film of Al Jolson in blackface singing ‘Mammy’ on a farm set called A Plantation Act. (In this 1926 short, Jolson gives a straightforward musical performance of several songs, in blackface amidst a plantation setting. It was the success of this short that persuaded Warner Bros. to proceed with The Jazz Singer.)

But going back to Song of the South, we need to look at another Disney entity in the park that’s also rooted in racism. Tom Sawyer Island. Tom Sawyer island is based off The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, published in 1876 by Mark Twain. It’s sequel, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn which was published in 1884 is a product of its time, such as the basis of Song of the South, the 1881 book that was published as Uncle Remus, His Songs and His Sayings: The Folk-Lore of the Old Plantation. The book was written by Joel Chandler Harris in post-Reconstruction Atlanta. Uncle Remus is a collection of African-American stories, songs and oral folklore collected by Harris during his time at the Turnwold Plantation. While at Turnwold Plantation, Harris spent hundreds of hours in the slave quarters during time off. He was less self-conscious there and felt his humble background as an illegitimate, son of an Irish immigrant helped foster an intimate connection with the slaves. He absorbed the stories, language, and inflections of people like Uncle George Terrell, Old Harbert, and Aunt Crissy. The tales they shared later became the foundation and inspiration for Harris's book. George Terrell and Old Harbert in particular became models for Uncle Remus, as well as role models for Harris.

These two books are still be adapted to new media. But given that Huck Finn is still being thought in schools as a piece of Americana even though it’s set on the antebellum era. It’s writer, Mark Twain satires everything in the book. Society, morality, racism, politics, honor, status, romanticism, you name it. But does it mean we have to banish Tom Sawyer? Huck is Toms comrade and as I recall The Adventures of Tom Sawyer still has racism in it.

In Disney’s case, Do we need to rewrite the American Adventure because it’s host Benjamin Franklin had 6 slaves from 1735 until 1781 or do we keep him for his November 9th 1789, letter when he wrote against the institution of slavery? In Mark Twain’s case for do we need to have his portrayal removed due to the language of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn or do we keep him for his 1885 letter offered to provide financial assistance to Warner T. McGuinn, one of the first black students at Yale Law School? Are we going to act as these two men whom are Historical figures never existed because the of their actions or writings that are rooted in a different sociopolitical time then ours?

There’s a lot more in that realm we can cancel yet we don’t and truth be told we have a lot that we can cancel. Disney’s 1940 movie Fantasia, majority of the viewers don’t know about the black centaurs due to their depiction during the Pastoral Symphony, they were removed back from the film back in 1969. Original elements can be found with the centaurs. That’s if we would have said the 1915 movie, Birth of a Nation doesn’t exist. As of 2020 the film is public domain and is available in multiple streaming and optical formats and has gotten new scans including a HD transfer back in 2010/2011. Birth of the Nation, originally titled the Clansman. It was based off the 1905 book of the same name. The 1915 movie actually gave way to the return of the Ku Klux Klan. The return of the KKK was a direct result of its glorification of the source book by Thomas Dixon.

That’s going to be the same thing for Song of the South in 30 years time. It will be released albeit with hesitation. No matter how we hide it, it’ll be released some way or another. Disney is even still preserving Song of the South and actually had a new scan done in recent years with the help of the Library of Congress. More so on Song of the South’s case, you can find it online. So it still exists and is out there by archivists and collectors whom know that these materials are worth their historical value over the years.

Speaking as a person, I agree that the films have ethnic and racial prejudices that are wrong then and are wrong today. Speaking as a preservationist, as I do personally hold 35mm film from Major Studios as well has historical texts and works of significance. I have to agree with Warner Bros these are a product of their time, and if we didn’t acknowledge them it “would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.” We need to acknowledge the past because if we don’t learn from the past we are bound to repeat it.

Honestly, I think a lot of these issues is stemming from the fact that Disney won't acknowledge the movie, yet kept the ride. But will Disney gloss over the racial injustices that were commonplace for the time in New Orleans during the 1920s, they did in the movie. Here's a good read on it from Duke University.

While Princess and the Frog will be a nice change to the park, all this is to myself is a band-aid on a bigger problem and one that Disney refuses to acknowledge.

Oskar

I think that this is an awful decision and that the story Disney is peddling, that this has been in the works for a year, is completely false - I'd be happy to be told I'm wrong by any of the reliable insiders here if that is the case.

That being said, I'll reserve some judgement until more information about this re-theme is made public. Done properly, it could be great; replace Splash Mountain with a soulless screen-heavy imitation and it will be a disaster.

Splash Mountain is, and always will be, a landmark in quality in the history of Disney Imagineering. Anything less that similar perfection in its replacement would be a total disappointment. Disney will have some temporary public goodwill because of this decision, now it's down to them to deliver a world class attraction to replace the one they're losing.

GeneralZod

Uncle Remus wasn't a slave, nitwit. He was a sharecropper. Duh. Definition: a tenant farmer who gives a part of each crop as rent. He was a free man. Try not to paint everything you don't like with the same ignorant PC brush.

And Brer Rabbit was a character invented by blacks, whose tales were transcribed by Joel Chandler Harris, who invented Uncle Remus to related those tales. So what exactly makes Brer Rabbit OR Remus racist characters?
Can we sticky this post please? So tired of the rage mob not taking the time to research and understand history before calling for its destruction.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I honestly believe it was time to redo Splash Mtn. Disney really doesn't want to talk about Song of the South, but yet will use Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah in parades. It's very contradictory.

If Splash Mountain, whose scenes are whitewashed from the racism of Song of the South, is going away because of its association with Song of the South, then I'd wager there will be no more Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah used anywhere, nor any merch based on the ride or movie, nor any of its M&G characters. That would only be consistent and logical.

DarkMetroid567

I am an African American young woman in my early 20s. I’ve never seen Song of the South or rode Splash Mountain because I hate water rides. I was planning on facing my fears in May but Disney was shutdown. I’ve never seen it but people say Song of the South is one of the most racist movies ever. I’ve read reports on it and I agree. Even though I prefer a new ride for PATF, this had to be done whether it was Tiana or any IP, Song of the South does not belong in 2020 let alone Disney World/Land.

I’m one of the AAs who’s tired of getting scraps. I want Disney or other studios to make new things for us not make the first black......... of whatever. Other than Tiana being beautiful and the first AA Disney Princess most black people hate this movie. We just buy Tiana dolls.

This just seems like pandering to me. I would have been fine with a sequel with Tiana being human most of the film and more merch instead of this. I mean Tiana was a freaking frog 90% of the movie which is why it didn’t do to well at the box office. This should have been announced with a sequel where Tiana isn’t a frog for most of the movie and with better music to not appear to be pandering. It is still the 10th anniversary of PATF until November they could have gave us more merch and a short film.
this is a fair take, I mean it IS and always will be pandering, Disney is definitely not a trailblazer of culture. But I can at least appreciate the step, as little as it is

DisneyOutsider

There are no problems with Song of the South.
None.
The only problems are in the heads of some people.
As for Splash Mountain - it doesn't have any imagery of the "problem" of Song of the South.
Splash deals exclusively with the cartoon characters.
YIKES

If you can't see the problems with the film.. then I can't help you. You'll continue to be willfully ignorant, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom