Splash Mountain Memorial Thread

TsWade2

Original Poster
Hi everybody,
Since today is Splash Mountains’s last day, I thought I could make a memorial thread to honor Splash Mountain. So with all your permission, I like to post a memorial thread for Splash Mountain. Splash Mountain will be missed.😢

RIP
Splash Mountain
1989 - 2023

Let’s have a moment of silence:

Phroobar

iu

TsWade2

Original Poster
Well, I tried to make this memorial thread special, but it seems to me that it's probably a big mistake. I want to change this to never mind, but I can't, because I think I've been warned about that. If you guys are going to make fun about this..........I won't get in your way. I'm sorry I made this thread unnecessary. I should keep it to myself from now on.:(

Consumer

Well, I tried to make this memorial thread special, but it seems to me that it's probably a big mistake. I want to change this to never mind, but I can't, because I think I've been warned about that. If you guys are going to make fun about this..........I won't get in your way. I'm sorry I made this thread unnecessary. I should keep it to myself from now on.:(
Disneyland Forum is not the place for sentiment, it's the place for mockery and pure rage.

brb1006

Hi everybody,
Since today is Splash Mountains’s last day, I thought I could make a memorial thread to honor Splash Mountain. So with all your permission, I like to post a memorial thread for Splash Mountain. Splash Mountain will be missed.😢

RIP
Splash Mountain
1989 - 2023

Let’s have a moment of silence:

The ride hasn't officialy closed yet (as of this comment).

CaptinEO

Sad to see my favorite ride close down. Had 3 years to ride since the announcement and have gone since (both land and world).

Still upset over the choice but life goes on.

The ride was too good for modern WDI anyways. They can't even maintain good show on their entirely screen based rides.

Happy knowing Tokyo will keep it.

josh2000

Try to remember that it's just a theme park ride. People don't usually memorialize closed theme park rides. They memorialize their dead loved ones. I think you're asking too much when you say you want us to take it seriously.

shambolicdefending

I'll add a touch of seriousness to the thread. Here's my personal rambling on Splash Mountain, partially copied from an older post...

Splash probably holds the most sentimental value for me of any attraction. It was one of the first "thrill" rides I ever experienced. I remember being fascinated and trying to peak behind the walls when it was under construction in early 89. When we went back about a year later it was up and running, but I was initially too scared to ride it.

Sometime during the trip my dad basically forced me on. He dragged me through the 45ish minute queue (which seemed insanely long at that time) with me resisting and crying the whole time. But, father knows best. Once I survived my first time on the "big drop" I was hooked. I never missed a chance to go on it again. Our family was big enough to fill up a whole log by ourselves, and our Splash rides together were the highlight of all trips that followed.

In 2016 my oldest son was finally tall enough to go on it for the first time. He's much more adventurous than I was and didn't need any convincing. He loved it, and insisted that we always hit it at rope drop so we could do it twice in a row without waiting. His little brother, on the other hand, is a little more like me. He hit the magical 40 inches about a year later, but wanted nothing to do with the "big drop." I took a page from my dad's book and dragged him reluctantly through the queue. Just like me, he was on pins and needles until we got to the bottom of the briar patch, and then he realized how much fun it was. Back at the loading area he hopped off, sprinted through the exit and right back in line to go again, only slowing down to make sure I was following him.

I'm not sure which is more meaningful for me. Memories of going on it with my dad, who's gone now, or riding it with my own kids.

We went on it together one last time in October. We knew this would be our last chance and I tried my best to soak it in. My boys laughed and shouted all the way through. During the Steamboat scene they rocked our log back and forth in rhythm to the music, then jumped up, happily showed off how drenched they got, and skipped down the exit ramp to find our last "big drop" picture.

I'm going to miss it. I sure hope the successor is a worthy one.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom