Splash Mountain drop question

BiffyClyro

Actually I'm usually thinking about the giant Tyrranosaur trying to eat my face.
Jurassic Park's drop doesn't seem so bad because you're "escaping" something worse.
Haha yeah thats true! It's his squealing in your face i can't stand! The loud noise freaks me out more than his face :p

PolynesianPrincess

I think the JP drop is far more intense than the drop on Splash. Actually, I think the log flume hill at our local amusement park is longer than the one on Splash. It LOOKS a lot worse than it is.

James122

I second the opinon that Splash's drop looks far more intimidating that it actually is. It's over so quick you hardly have time to think about it.

Weather_Lady

I was surprised to read that Splash Mountain's angle is 45 degrees. It sure feels much steeper when you tip over that edge and it "feels like" you're looking straight down! It is over blessedly quickly, though.

That moment at the top, I'm always thinking, "WHY did I want to do this, again?" and the moment we hit the bottom I'm thinking, "I can't WAIT to do this again!" :)

James122

The only drop that scared me at WDW is Summit Plummit at Blizzard Beach

OMG Yes! Summit Plummet scared the crap out of me. To this day, I've only gone on it once.

Non-Disney wise, the only flume ride that has ever really scared me was the now-defunct Perilous Plunge ride at Knott's Berry Farm in CA. When it debuted, I believe it was the world's tallest and steepest flume ride. It was removed just last year after they reportedly had too many problems with the restraints.

Unknown.jpg

draybook

Original Poster
Another question. My wife said there's a double dropish type deal inside. She said it's like an M shaped drop in the dark and that it's comparible to the drop on Pirates. Does that sound about right? Honestly, drops in the dark bother me more.

JoeCamel

Yes, there are a couple but remember that all of MK is kidde rides. Nothing to fear here. Now go over to the real stuff and I don't ride those as I am past my prime.

Weather_Lady

Another question. My wife said there's a double dropish type deal inside. She said it's like an M shaped drop in the dark and that it's comparible to the drop on Pirates. Does that sound about right? Honestly, drops in the dark bother me more.

Yes, there is. I would say it's a little steeper/faster than the one in POTC and seems "scarier" because you're in the pitch dark and have no idea it's coming. (I like it.)

Figments Friend

Draybrook, i know how you feel.
I also am not a fan of rides with drops...and i just recently got over my fear of riding Splash Mountain.

Like you, i would have terrible anxiety before even getting in the queue. I would usually have to prepare my nerves first by riding Pirates ( for the dark drop ) and BTMR ( for the adreneline rush ) before even thinking about attempting Splash.

No more.

I rode DLs original version five times last week...four of those times in a row...and loved every minute of it.
Never thought i would ever be able to say this...previously i loved the show elements but dreaded the drops !

So at some point you will conquer you anxiety too...hang in there!
:)

I did Splash once and that was my big gesture to overcome my fear factor and I will never do it again. What I went through during the ride waiting for the climax is not good for anyone's nerves.

I was in Disney the year Splash opened and my late husband asked me if I wanted to go on, as if! I remember saying to him there isn't enough money in the world to induce me to go on there.

Two years ago, my daughter came to the conclusion that we were missing out on a lot not going on the scarier rides and I agreed up to a point. I watched the drop on YouTube and thought, I can do that. When we got there I chickened out but my daughter made the point that she was going to do it after all this build up. She started to walk toward the ride entrance. What I can only describe as a moment of madness had me running down to join her I couldn't let her do it alone, I should point out she was twenty four and I was fifty seven!

It was early and there was no queue so straight on. I couldn't enjoy much of the ride because of the anxiety but when we go the end where you winch up to the drop I would have given anything to get off, not possible. The deals I was making with God, if you let me live I will never ever do this again. I lived and I'm never doing it again, I'm not breaking the pact with man upstairs.

The adrenaline rush and sense of achievement when it was over was incredible. I have the photo to show I did it and I'm content with that.

JillC LI

I hate drops too (won't ride E:E a second time) but the SM drop is very short and fast, and like others have said, it is over almost before it has time to register that you've dropped. I can handle it.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Splash is really no big deal...part of the reason I love the MK is it's a park where I will be able to ride all (or at least most all) of my favorite rides with my future kids and grand kids god willing. It really is a place for the entire family, there is nothing in there that is REALLY over the top. That's part of why I love Disney.

Pixie VaVoom

I looked them up on wikipedia - Splash mt is a 53 ft drop at 45 degrees and 40 mph, Jurassic is an 84 ft drop at a 54 degree angle, no speed given. i am a real sissy, but I have done and loved both !! have fun!!

Cmdr_Crimson

OMG Yes! Summit Plummet scared the crap out of me. To this day, I've only gone on it once.
Non-Disney wise, the only flume ride that has ever really scared me was the now-defunct Perilous Plunge ride at Knott's Berry Farm in CA. When it debuted, I believe it was the world's tallest and steepest flume ride. It was removed just last year after they reportedly had too many problems with the restraints.

Holiday World's Pilgrim's Plunge..A whopping 131 foot drop at a 45 Degree angle...Same Angle drop as Splash but a lot higher.
HWN-5-30-2009-Pilgrims-Plunge-9.jpg

Last edited:

draybook

Original Poster
I looked them up on wikipedia - Splash mt is a 53 ft drop at 45 degrees and 40 mph, Jurassic is an 84 ft drop at a 54 degree angle, no speed given. i am a real sissy, but I have done and loved both !! have fun!!

I don't think they've ever been able to measure the speed of near death experience in miles per hour.

I'll try to post the ride photo tonight if I can get access to a pc. I can't paste the link from my phone.

draybook

Original Poster
OK, as promised, here is the ghetto ride photo, since we don't buy the photos at Universal. Please be kind..lol

20130917_092136_zps933fd783.jpg

Yes, that is the look of sheer TERROR you see on my face. That's my son with his face buried into my shoulder. I tensed up so hard that right after we left the gift shop my lower back and stomach started hurting really bad. After a couple of ibuprofen and 30 minutes I was ok. At least I can say I did it, although I'm not sure that I'm going to do Splash now. We'll see.

Minthorne

OK, as promised, here is the ghetto ride photo, since we don't buy the photos at Universal. Please be kind..lol

20130917_092136_zps933fd783.jpg

Yes, that is the look of sheer TERROR you see on my face. That's my son with his face buried into my shoulder. I tensed up so hard that right after we left the gift shop my lower back and stomach started hurting really bad. After a couple of ibuprofen and 30 minutes I was ok. At least I can say I did it, although I'm not sure that I'm going to do Splash now. We'll see.

You can almost hear the grunting in that photo!

Figments Friend

Draybrook, trust me on this : Ride *Splash Mountain* with confidence!
You conquered JP and experienced the worst of the drop sensation there....*Splash* will be a absolute breeze for you.

If need be, warm up your nerves first on POTC (the short drop in the dark there helps me )...then it is GO time.

DO IT....you will glad you did and WDWs *Splash* looks fantastic inside since the overhaul earlier this year.
There is no better time to ride than NOW !!

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom