Spirited Thoughts, News, Observations etc.

OK, hide the women and the children ... most importantly send the fanbois to bed with their plush and tell them to hide under the covers ... waaaay down under them because it's time for some Spirited thoughts, observations, news and anecdotes from a long weekend at The World Maintenance Forgot, yes WDW.

Where to start? With a conclusion? Or should I just work on down?

Should I start with the good ... things like seeing friends, having great weather, appreciating some things that the fan community tends to ignore and seeing EPCOT in its best colors?

Or ... do I focus on everything else? Because all going to WDW did for me this weekend was exceed my already amazingly low expectations for the state of WDW infrastructure and show quality (hey, they did exceed expectations, right?) and get me more excited for my future visits to DLP, possibly BGW, DL ... and, hopefully in the not too distant future, the Asian resorts again too.

Let's start with the basics. Freshness. If you had visited WDW in 2006 and hadn't returned in six years, you would find no appreciable new product in three of four parks.

You would find show quality that already had issues showing more issues than the typical fanboi in therapy. Well, that's if you can actually get to the MK because the crumbling monorail system has to be shut down all day from 11:30 a.m to 6 p.m. to do track work in the midst of one of the busiest times of the year ... imagine paying $500-700 a night for a room at the GF or Poly with monorail convenience touted (wonder what guest recovery they are doing there!) ... but let's assume you find your way there.

Let's start with the stuff the fan community is all lathered up for, namely the Storybook Circus mini-land expansion of Fantasyland. What did I think of it?

Not very much at all.

As usual, the hype was much greater than the product, which can't be viewed in a vacuum in a park that is crumbling and has no wow factor at all anymore.

In the day, Dumbo's primary colors and the red painted construction fences all around come off as garish ... befitting a circus, no doubt ... but Old Man Disney was no more a fan of circuses than he was of amusement parks and piers and the shady elements that all attracted. So, we have a new spinner that is prettier than the last. And it spins high enough to peek over construction walls and we all know how much that has become en vogue in O-Town of late.

It is a beautiful kinetic piece at night when the lighting is largely coming from the white and red bulbs that rim the queue (likely more of a makeshift deal now until the old Dumbo starts spinning across the way) and the LEDs embedded in the fountains underneath. But it is still Dumbo.

Sort of like the Barnstormer is still the Barnstormer, just missing much in the way of theming. Its prior incarnation had some whimsy, this doesn't. But they weren't getting rid of the only kiddie coaster in the park, so this was a cheap fix. Oh, and thanks to Bob Iger working with a chainsaw, you can now watch Disney buses and CMs driving to/fro work behind the MK as you walk up the queue if you peer left. I will never get what Phil and TDO have against trees, but they certainly do.

Nothing else is open beyond a much nicer train station that is still a train station ... and a set of new restrooms (someone needs to page Talking Head to this thread stat!) What I found amazing is that Disney was too cheap to actually connect these facilities to the park's main water supply, so they are using water from the immediate area that is untreated (or perhaps non-filtered/cleansed is more appropriate) so you have bizarre signs saying the water is 'non potable' (that means you can't drink it for those with limited vocabularies) over toilets. I know Disney's prices are crazy for a Coke, but over the toilet?!? ... Of course, the reason is they have colored the water blue because otherwise it would be a very icky color and folks would constantly be complaining that something isn't right.

Are the details nice? Sure. But they are very basic. I was much more excited by leaf patterns in the walkways around Old Man Island at Dixie Landings 20 years ago than I am by various hoof prints and 'peanuts' embedded in this area.

So much of this area also suffers from having both exposed coaster track (Disney fanbois seem to have issues with this at UNI) and show buildings just sticking out like a Duffy alone on a shelf full of Minnies.

If this is what Disney believes will raise the bar in O-Town ... well, no ... they don't. They understand what they have built and why. This is about capacity ... and NEXT GEN ... and keeping folks from being bored out of their minds by offering something 'new'.

It's in 'soft opening' now, but let's be blunt: they had to get this open and open now. They have so little capacity in this park due to 15 years of taking away and not adding. MK just isn't a very pleasant place right now at all with crowds and walls and lots of attractions that have seen far better days.

Again, it also seems that Ops and WDI simply can't get on the same page no matter what ... Dumbo opens with small plants where every little kid (and plenty of big ones) are going to stand, so the result is the foliage that was there Monday was trampled and mostly dead or dying by Friday. How they miss these basics is beyond me, although I think communication and common sense are both lacking.

Now, what else was 'new' (to me) at MK? Spin the Fanboi? Pin the Tail on Meg? Dole Whip tees (I mean, REALLY?!?!) ... or how about the latest way to hook OCD fanbois and why it is so important to NEXT GEN.

I'll see you all a little later ... like in the next post!

HMF

Having never met the man i just feel bad for him. Maybe i was raised with manners, but i can never see myself starting a thread just to attack people.

Say's the person with "Pitchfork" in his username. BTW, He is not directly attacking people. He is attacking the sorry state of WDW and he knows more about the inner-workings of WDC than me or you do.

Pitchforkman

Say's the person with "Pitchfork" in his username. BTW, He is not directly attacking people. He is attacking the sorry state of WDW and he knows more about the inner-workings of WDC than me or you do.

What is wrong with the word Pitchfork? It is the logo of my alma mater.

While attacking the "sorry state" of WDW he also attacked so called "fanbois", yeah sorry that is just not right at all.

Pitchforkman

2015 is when he will leave. Who his successor will be is unknown but I pray to god it won't be Jay Rasulo.

Did he say that is when he will leave? If so I am sad to see him go. He has done a great many things that some people here ignore or just dont care to realize.

The Empress Lilly

Come on, a little sarcasm or cynicism never hurt anybody (...before the internet era).

It's all very amusing to read, and most of the observations are quite astute.

JustInTime

What is even the point of spending money and going to a place that you know you aren't going to enjoy? I can just see how miserable 74 was on his trip. I mean, you know you are going to be hypercritical and not actually enjoy yourself, so why even bother? Is there a point?

P.S. Where is the "news"? Shouldn't this be in the trip report section or is there some sort of entitlement the rest of us don't have?

Pitchforkman

Come on, a little sarcasm or cynicism never hurt anybody (...before the internet era).

Dont get me wrong in life outside this forum i am sarcastic and maybe a little cynical but that is only when I am with my friends. I mean would it be okay if I started a thread where I talked about how much fun I had my last trip, which i did, and while talking about the fun I made fun of the "debbie downers" that I saw? I just dont see the point in attacking people who enjoy SotMK. I tried it out with my friend and we had some fun. I disagree with him that the screens are mainly a distraction, there were not when I was there. But that is my opinion.

wdwfan22

I just have to ask who feels the need to outright attack people. I mean didn't people learn in grammar school that calling people names like fanboi is what a child does. I mean you are allowed to rant that is your god given right but why do the moderators allow this man, who if you take away the child like attacks has some valid points, to open a thread where he basically makes fun of anyone who enjoys their time at WDW.

I think he gets off on it. He is the biggest fanboi around, otherwise he wouldn't be on every Disney fan site. Some people on here love to get off on knowing more about Disney then the average joe and telling everyone that it was better back in the day. They claim they are the biggest fans because they remember what is was and everyone else is wrong for liking what it currently is. I've been visiting since i was a child and I can tell you that Walt Disney World is just as magical today as it was yesterday. So please continue to enjoy your time in the parks and take pitty on those that must look for burnt out lightbulbs and broken effects :wave:

rioriz

I of all people enjoy a good rant but it is getting to the point where it makes me feel insecure, ignorant, foolish for even enjoying The World now or in the future. The anti-fanboi rants are honestly making every thread here almost unbearable. There is a way to getting a point out without making it seem that the general public are a bunch of mindless fools who allow Disney to think for them because bless their heart they just don't know better.

And again there seems to be little news or rumor to this post. Maybe we need a rant forum to clear out some of the negativity from taking every thread of course and in the same general direction.

Also, I am not a delusional fanboi and will definitely be visiting DLR again before returning to Orlando.

The Empress Lilly

Dont get me wrong in life outside this forum i am sarcastic and maybe a little cynical but that is only when I am with my friends. I mean would it be okay if I started a thread where I talked about how much fun I had my last trip, which i did, and while talking about the fun I made fun of the "debbie downers" that I saw? I just dont see the point in attacking people who enjoy SotMK. I tried it out with my friend and we had some fun. I disagree with him that the screens are mainly a distraction, there were not when I was there. But that is my opinion.
One of my favourite pastimes has been on the receiving end of a Spirited rant.

I got over it. :shrug:

It's just a website where adults with too much time on their hands in all seriousness discuss at great length the workings of new toilets in a public venue.
By default we're all barking mad as is already, so no need to get worked up about it too. :D

HMF

Did he say that is when he will leave? If so I am sad to see him go. He has done a great many things that some people here ignore or just dont care to realize.

All right, let's analyze this shall we?

The Good
*Disneyland is doing very well and the DCA expansion will be outstanding.
*Bringing in Lasseter and Pixar.
*Resurrected 2D Animation.

The Bad
*His complete lack of enthusiasm, Businessman Persona and scripted speech and press releases that sound like they were written by a robot.
*Putting people in power who should not be, Jay Rasulo, Tom Staggs, Meg Crofton.
*Ridiculous and repulsive marketing initiatives. (Disney Parks: Where Dreams Come True, Year of a Million Dreams,Changing Rapunzel to "Tangled". Let's remove all instances of "Walt" and remove any instance of an 's and just use the term "Disney" in all cases)
*the NextGen BS
and of course his complete lack of supervision or interest in the operating of WDW.

lazyboy97o

If a friend started picking up some less than desirable habits, would you no longer be a friend for making mention of them?

The Empress Lilly

I of all people enjoy a good rant but it is getting to the point where it makes me feel insecure, ignorant, foolish for even enjoying The World now or in the future.
Don't let anybody take away your innocent, childish delight in Disney! WDW is the most magical, most touching, most pretty place on this planet and beyond. :sohappy:

Not even the horde of vandals at the helm have managed to destroy it.

However hard they've tried.

Mem11

I just have to ask who feels the need to outright attack people. I mean didn't people learn in grammar school that calling people names like fanboi is what a child does. I mean you are allowed to rant that is your god given right but why do the moderators allow this man, who if you take away the child like attacks has some valid points, to open a thread where he basically makes fun of anyone who enjoys their time at WDW.

Sorry Mr Pitchforkman, but I would disagree. What you have is a very passionate, knowledgeable individual who has inside information on how a Disney Theme park should or in this case should not be run. I think it's a shame more people can't see the missteps/missed opportunities/harm the current TDO leadership is doing.

In regard to that "term" you seem particularly offended by, just remember what your Mother told you - Sticks & Stones...

HMF

Sorry Mr Pitchforkman, but I would disagree. What you have is a very passionate, knowledgeable individual who has inside information on how a Disney Theme park should or in this case should not be run. I think it's a shame more people can't see the missteps/missed opportunities/harm the current TDO leadership is doing.

In regard to that "term" you seem particularly offended by, just remember what your Mother told you - Sticks & Stones...

Thank you.:shrug: Seriously folks, WDW1974 knows more about the inner workings of the Walt Disney Company than most of us (myself included.) Also about this "people who go out of their way to look for burnt out lightbulbs" BS, It has reached a point where casual guests are starting to notice. Also I strongly recommend you look at "Mickey's Tenth Commandment. When major effects like Blackbeard in POTC or every single Animatronic in the finale of Splash Mountain broken, That is not chipping paint or burnt out lights.

But here's the thing-- it wasn't just constructive criticism and it wasn't just sarcasm or cynism. It was a direct attack on people.

I can be-- and often am-- the most sarcastic, cynical person around, and I deeply value intelligent discussion spawning from disagreement and criticism, but that's not what 74's tirade lends itself to at all.

For every criticism of the state of the parks or, more specifically, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, there is a jab at those who dare to enjoy the new attraction. He bases much of his criticism on his personal preference-- which is, of course, fine, were he to state it as such instead of imply it to be unwavering fact for all-- and juxtaposes it against infantile insults at members of nerd culture. Fanboys. Fanbois. What have you.

The implication is that anybody who is over the age of, like, five and enjoys the feature is strange, odd, worthy of ridicule, worthy of repetitive degradation on ye olde Internet. It is the kind of mentality that I deal with every day, the chiding people for being passionate about something and finding joy in all things nerdy, the belittling, the ostracizing.

Mind you, I'm speaking of my days at my high school.

While I've come to endure it there, I'm sure it's at least a bit understandable that I find it deplorable on a site 1) populated chiefly by adults and, far more importantly, 2) populated entirely by people so passionate about Disney that they devote innumerable hours, dollars, and (insert standard unit of measure for emotional investment here) to it that they themselves are, whether they like it or not, as much a member of nerd culture as the people they coldly and unnecessarily ridicule.

Never mind that he seems to heigh ho it over to the parks with the intention of channelling some amalgam of Grumpy and Donald better than the characters themselves could.

Aaand I'm rambling within hours of finally not being a gigantic lurker on the forums (seriously, I've been in the shadows since 2007); we're off to a good start already. :brick:

Captain Chaos

Kudos to 74 for expressing your opinions about the new area and other things you experienced on your trip... Not everything has to be a glowing report of WDW...

74 is the Howard Stern of these forums... Lots of people love him, lots hate him, EVERYONE listens, in this case reads him.. Why?? to see what he'll say next... If he bothers you all that much, stop reading his posts... Simple solution...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom