Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevehousse

Bingo. It used to be all of the execs were required to spend a week in the parks in various roles. Walt would also make his managers go experience the park as a guest would. For exactly this reason.

How awesome would it be to be a "rater" for Disney! Free trip and u get to give all the feedback u feel necessary!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
How awesome would it be to be a "rater" for Disney! Free trip and u get to give all the feedback u feel necessary!

They rely too much on "raters" (secret shoppers) and Guest Feedback as it stands.

A director doesn't run his show without watching it hundreds of times. He doesn't just slap something up, after not seeing it, and rely on "audience feedback"...

The best way to manage is to do just that. Be involved. You can't do it from a room in California, visiting DLC and assuming that WDW is the same animal. It's not.

Sue_Vongello

Instead of having a ridiculous extension of the blogger problem in the not so subtle marketing arm of Disney called the "mom's panel" ... wouldn't it be great if they held auditions for a "Fan's Insight Panel" that could provide input from a fan's perspective, could help with checks and balances, and in actuality could drive profits by actually asking fan's what they want instead of making assumptions based on nothing or random oblique surveys.

In the movie industry they call those test screenings ...

Sure the inherent problem is who makes up the panel, and naturally we couldn't trust Disney to fill the panel with educated unbiased intellects, no sadly it would be less @WDW1974 and more Mongello ...

Never mind forget the whole idea.

Nemo14

And this, is why Walt walked the parks.

Wasn't it just one park?
wink.gif

ParentsOf4

Bingo. It used to be all of the execs were required to spend a week in the parks in various roles. Walt would also make his managers go experience the park as a guest would. For exactly this reason.
The modern executive needs to understand the four pillars of most companies: finance, product development, manufacturing, and customer service. The modern MBA and business climate tends to focus them on only the finance aspect of their business.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Instead of having a ridiculous extension of the blogger problem in the not so subtle marketing arm of Disney called the "mom's panel" ... wouldn't it be great if they held auditions for a "Fan's Insight Panel" that could provide input from a fan's perspective, could help with checks and balances, and in actuality could drive profits by actually asking fan's what they want instead of making assumptions based on nothing or random oblique surveys.

In the movie industry they call those test screenings ....

Yeah you see the problem with your idea here is its:

1.logical
2.assumes that Disney purse string holders want to release said purse strings and actually improve wdw.

Tsk tsk what's wrong with you!!!!!!?????

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I was reading today and came across a funny coincidence. A big historic name in the comic book industry was name Will Eisner (no relation), his company employed a guy by the name of Jack Kirby, who created many of the big Marvel characters. That company was Eisner and Iger, one half of said duo was Jerry Iger who is Bob Iger's Great Uncle (his grandfather's brother).

Funny that the duo was coincidentally the same name for the Disney duo that would rise to power years later. However, it may shed more light on why Bob Iger wanted to acquire Marvel. Business intents aside, Bob has a familial connection to the company. Quite interesting... sorry in advance if any of you knew this... I just figured some may find it interesting.

Sneezy62

And this, is why Walt walked the parks.
Not entirely. An entrepreneur cares for the business he creates because he (she) enjoys it. That's why once a business leaves the loving kindness of it's creator it is more likely to go downhill. There are times that someone else who loves the business pushes on to new heights. I think Eisner loved the parks or perhaps just loved the idea that he ran them...whatever. It amounted to the same thing. I don't think Iger does and I'm not sure any of the current crop of executives does. Others, I'm sure, have a better idea about which execs roam the parks in their off hours, but there is not much posted about such behavior.

The thread and video of Staggs at D11 comes to mind. Can you imagine the reaction if a snarky interviewer had dissed the parks like that in an interview with Eisner? Yes it was a scripted event, but the snarkyness ran deeper and I don't think it would have been well tolerated in the past. To Staggs it was all part of the script.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry for my absence of late here. The real world called and my 'work' isn't waiting for Starbucks to open, so I can be the first blogger with pics of it. Some of us have real responsibilities. Anyway, most of my Disney time has been devoted to sneaking my AP renewal in under the 'old' prices and about the increases on the other thread. I was tempted to go back there, but after lurking a bit and seeing that a few folks are trying to justify them or 'educate' the community about capitalism, I thought the better of it.

Just a few points here on the subject:
1.) Dangerous precedent to say three of your four parks aren't worth what the other one is or what the competition is;
2.) Disney sells loads of one day tickets. If they didn't, then they would eliminate them;
3.) Disney would like to stop selling the Premier Pass as well as tickets that don't have fuses (that means they are good forever);
4.) Disney played games with the info (not even telling CMs until Saturday) to prevent the usual run on ticket media that happens in advance of all increases. Apparently, this resulted in some particularly ugly incidents in Anaheim;
5.) Speaking of The Happiest Place in Anaheim, in 2003 I had a PAP. It cost $199. Today, it would cost $669. I love the place, but gouging anyone? The least expensive AP back then was either $89 or $99. Today, it is an astounding $279. None of this affects me because except for one day, I haven,t paid to visit DLR since 2007. I won't be paying this year, either;
6.) TDA doesn't want fewer APers. They want the same number or MORE paying higher prices;
7.) If you want to blame one individual for the current ticket prices, then blame current WDW Prez Georgie K as he was largely responsible for developing Magic Your Way Ticketing in 2004. It was that model (remember 'The More You Play, The Less You Pay'? ... Well, George used that to ressurrect a moribund career with Disney. And while that a la carte pricing seemed like a win-win for both Disney and guests, one only need look at the current situation to see who the only beneficiary of that system is. How much is that Golden Oaks mini-mansion that George and Andy are buying?
8.) Disney looks at active ticket media that isn't being used like companies view gift cards or airlines view FF miles. They hate them. They don't want someone coming to visit in 2013 with days of admission left from 2007 or 2003 or 1995.

Just a few things to think about on the current hot topic.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've heard the figures repeatedly here. I understand R+D costs big bucks, and the scale we are talking about, resort wide, is significant. Still... Seems crazy... like black ops pentagon crazy. Like hiding pet development budget in projects inflating them to ridiculous levels crazy. Something really is afoot if these numbers are even close to true.

However, the fans expectations are also out of control. If it isn't a "billion" everyone freaks out like the sky is falling. People are either lost in this bubble or really don't have any concept of what things should cost.

As I stated in another post, 500 million dollars should buy far more than it seems to in a theme park. Something really isn't right.

That has a lot to do with the problems that are systemic with Disney and WDI.

Look at what Disney spends and what YOU get for the money versus what UNI spends.
Even today in the parks business $500 million is a lot of money. When you walked into EPCOT Center in the fall of 1982, as I did, you could easily tell where $800 million went.

Try looking at anything built at WDW in the last dozen years and see if you can match quality with money spent.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agree, I don't know how many times I got flamed by saying budgets are shared across entities. If money is spent in one place then less is being spent elsewhere.

It's the same budget.

That's true, but also only to a point and overly simplistic.

WDW doesn't grind to a halt because Disney is building a pair of cruise ships, a new park in Shanghai or adding to existing parks.

WDW has seen its stagnation of late because Disney is investing well over a billion and a half dollars on NGE. Those dollars are what's keeping a 1972 parade at the MK or EPCOT from getting anything major or even why entertainment cutbacks have happened.

Cars Land, Mystic Manor or Remy's Kitchen Calamity have no real world effect on WDW investment.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Saw Lou at Disneyland last week, where he had been flown out for the opening of Mickey and the Magical Map. It definitely took me aback that he was there. Still trying to figure out how to get those free cross-country trips!

I'd start by kissing up to the Celebration Place Social Media Cabal team. They aren't able to grant free trips to DLR, but one organism feasts on the others.Recently, DLR Social Media has been much freer in credentialing O-Town leeches to come west ... But they haven't been burned by these folks like WDW has ..yet.

asianway

I'd start by kissing up to the Celebration Place Social Media Cabal team. They aren't able to grant free trips to DLR, but one organism feasts on the others.Recently, DLR Social Media has been much freer in credentialing O-Town leeches to come west ... But they haven't been burned by these folks like WDW has ..yet.
Flying Orlando leeches to DL...makes perfect sense. Most pixie dust addicts wouldnt dream of making the trip west.

Computer Magic

That's true, but also only to a point and overly simplistic.

Cars Land, Mystic Manor or Remy's Kitchen Calamity have no real world effect on WDW investment.
No but money towards DVC like Aulani could get money diverted from going elsewhere. If my memory server me right, NGE was budgeted after Aulani was completed (and lets now even talk about that big mess of undervaluing the initial DVC offer). Now people will say DVC will make up the money on sales. Perhaps but you have to have an initial investment before sales.

As for simplistic, well sometimes you have to keep it simple...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom