Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Genie of the Lamp

So, it seems that Mr. Iger is considered a top bargain CEO compared to other CEO's:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywoods-top-ceos-see-compensation-439825?page=2

Mr. Iger's hourly full time salary in 2012: $13,340 an hr. Average full time worker hourly salary in the U.S.A: $19.77 (Source: AFL-CIO). #10 on highest paid CEO's list consisting of S&P 500 companies and DIS is the 2nd most profitable Entertainment Conglomerate.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, he's baaaaaack.

So, the real world called. And I was forced to answer its siren scream.

Yes, my life extends beyond the cyber-prints I have been leaving on Disney forums since the '90s. Since, I suspect, before some current posters (including some of my favorite fanbois) on this site were born. That, alone, can sometimes lead to less than friendly exchanges -- add in my knowledge of Disney as a media company and the industry itself and sometimes the results in this 'oddly personal yet deceptively distant' medium can be quite toxic.

Rest assured though, the Spirit has not disappeared. Indeed, the Spirit cannot disappear.

That said, I'm only around for a bit as I am about to engage in my Annual Spirited Faux Top One Percent Spring Holiday (no, no details on it now ... possibly when I return ... perhaps, I'll be accused of faking it, but like any good fanboi, I never fake it!). I'll post a bit when I can and then I will be gone for a bit. Weeks? Oh yeah. Months? Possibly ... Who knows...?

When last I was here, the thread was being driven off the rails by folks who wanted to discuss me -- a far too popular topic over the years -- instead of the topic(s) at hand. And while I am a fascinating Spirit, I do tire of talking about myself ... let alone largely with strangers who will never know me beyond a screen name. Unlike most posters on the Internet though, I have always been willing and welcoming of fans and others who have wanted to meet the person behind the screen.

Meeting many even with the risks involved in real world meetings with folks who sometimes have shown a profound dislike for the Spirit here online. Some became real world friends, cherished friends, some did not. Such is life.

I want to make it abundantly clear, however, that I didn't "disappear" because I was being shouted down by a few out of control 'fans' of mine who believe (or simply want to keep the replies coming and/or clicks up) that they know more about media and ethics and the NY Times than myself and others in media. Even with several other media professionals weighing in on the thread, and not behind a screen name, including a photographer who has worked for the Times. These other posters, who allege to have a legitimate argument to make, do not know what they speak of. Nor, to them, does that seem to matter any. This is the Internet after all.

You just shout and shout and see who has the stamina ... the lack of a life to continue.

Contrary to what some folks out there wish to believe, I have no fixation with social media. Rather, I engage in it as others should. In its purest form as a forum for like-minded individuals to discuss things without the heavy-hand of a corporate or otherwise financially biased voice. Like most companies, Disney is getting the medium wrong. Changes have been made, other changes will be made. No employee within press and publicity or 'social media' should be feeling particularly comfortable right now and, yes, I do think that is a good thing.

Now, while that is all I have to say about this matter, each of these folks who went near silent or did not post during my so-called absence will have something to say. And each of these posters will repeat themselves ad nauseam ...

I mentioned when this thread was started that it was placed so folks could avoid "the Spirit" entirely if they elected to by simply placing my online 'persona' in the subject of the thread. Don't like me, go elsewhere. Don't like what I post, well, you knew what you were getting when you clicked on it. And that is just it. Folks click. And they click. And, gosh darn it, bless their hearts, they keep coming back and clicking on a Spirited thread.

Not being here for a week or more, about 3,000 people still clicked on this thread daily. Some days, when I and others were posting here actively, the clicks would exceed 10,000 in just 24 hours. Folks, those are big, BIG numbers for a 'screen name' on a fan forum -- a forum of any kind.

You just don't overlook that. Not that Burbank or MAGIC's competitors have. Spirited News & Observations, the first one, was one of the fastest growing threads in the history of this site (and likely any Disney fan site). Yep, we even blew by Eddie Sotto's. I only opened this thread, the second, at the request of @wdwmagic. As with Eddie's first, once the post count exceeds 5000, it slows, I am told, the loading of the forums and makes moderating a hassle.

Respectfully, while no note from the site announced the reason behind this move, making me appear ... well, not so good, this was opened as a courtesy to Steve and at his request.

Over the years, I have broken many a story here. Often, other posters have actually researched my posting history to show that MAGIC had it FIRST as a way, I suppose, of 'taking ownership' for having broken news in the fan community. That is fine with me. But I am here as a fan, something that drives a great many in the cyberverse crazy apparently. I am not here for notoriety, nor for graft or compensation. I am not even here for my ego, which is quite healthy in the real world, so I don't need to pump it up in an online forum.

Of course, my time has value. Great value. As at least one poster noted, most sites "pray to have" someone that draws the audience I do. When threads are allowed to devolve into nonsense and sheer trolling, albeit of the 'top shelf' variety, I kind of get the feeling I am being played. For what?

Choose to believe it or not, I know media and I know Disney. WDW. DLR. WDS. DCL. ABC. ESPN. TDR. Pixar. etc. Well, I know all of it and more. I know the eyeballs I bring with me. And, you know what, you can always disagree with me, but your disagreement should be of a sincere nature ... too often, with some posters, it is anything but.

My information is desired here. And elsewhere. My knowledge, more so. While I engage in social media as it should be, posting on MAGIC is not a job. For me, for anyone. It is a fan site.

Nevertheless, if you want to hold me to standards that top executives of Disney are not held to (as some here justify not holding them to this precise measure), fine. But, no, I am not going back and forth with folks who only come here to get ... attention.

(In fairness to Steve, my old pal Doobie and many others, I have been offered plenty of advice and even assistance in creating my own site to be 'your' Al Lutz. Obviously, linking to that content would be beneficial to me and to the other sites. I can only repeat what I have told all who have come down this path: I am a fan, and I come here as a fan. Lutz is an activist of sorts, and DLR, his passion.)

That's not what I am seeking. That is just not me.

As for the UNI information, I have been asked by my source to not place all that I know out just yet and I respect that. What I can tell you is more general, but still incredibly impressive. UNI has BIG ... no, HUGE ... plans for Central Florida that include major new attractions, the real E-tickets, in the next 5-6 years (they will just keep coming with no gaps) for both parks, the addition of more hotels (beyond the three existing and the one being built -- two with VERY kewl themes), a new water park and ... while y'all debate mythical fifth gates at WDW, UNI will be/is building a third. I guess that's big enough news right there. That's not rumour either. That is the plan right now.

I can tell you that by 2018, EVERY existing expansion pad/locale at UNI and IOA will either have something new on it or something under construction. And Disney fanbois will still be looking at the half dozen or so pads at EPCOT where there is room for complete pavilions or empty locations like WoL and tearing up.

Yep that's how it is for WDW ... well, Disney has nothing up its sleeves to compare or compete at present, just a lot of 'maybes'.

As in 'maybe' they'll announce something at D23 and maybe they won't ... and maybe we can talk about it until then ... and then after ... or depending on ... well, if they actually announce things like the Studios Not-So-Extreme Makeover project ... we shall see. In real world (not Disney fanboi) terms, they got nothin' right now. At least, nothing has been given the go-ahead.

Here's another maybe: maybe Joe Rohde knows he is about to be axed from Disney and told them he wouldn't help them with a PR stunt for DAK's 15th anniversary with his job on the line and the park's top three attractions suffering from neglect. Yep. Maybe.

With regard to Ricky Brigante's 'news' about DCL, as is often the case, the record shows that he isn't breaking anything. Months ago I posted that DCL would expand by two ships. Now unless something just happened, which I sincerely doubt, there is no deal between Disney and a builder on the new ships (they're almost guaranteed to be called the Imagination and -- I AM NOT KIDDING!!! -- the SPIRIT!) Not to be an attention-grabbing (you know how I hate them), but I went thru this in 2007 on another Disney forum when I said DCL was expanding by two ships and was told I was crazy that the Euro conversion would make it impossible and blah, blah, blah ... Dream and Fantasy now cruising.

Because a ship will cost about $1 billion, and Iger and Rasulo are playing frugal with P&R to keep the folks on Wall Street happy, I doubt very much that you'll get an announcement before mid-fall and quite possibly not until next year. Disney is very happy with DCL (despite weaker than expected numbers from Galveston) and they can take their time growing the business.

All of that aside ...

It's very hard to not want to knock Disney on so many fronts very hard right now. I am disgusted by the talent they just sent packing from WDFA, all with the stock over $60 a share and the company never more profitable. Much like John Carter's self-sustained -- and fatal -- wound, Disney isn't doing what is needed to keep traditional animation alive. At least Eisner had some real reasons, rationale, for his decisions that almost killed animation at a company based upon it.

Iger has no such excuse to fall back upon.

And his film strategy is going to bite Disney big time at some point. Iron Man 3 still sent $50 million and will send 10 percent of gross to Paramount Pictures (note: gross is all Paramount needs to care about and it is nothin' but gravy for them) so that the Mouse could call it 'their' film. Much like with Avengers. Paramount made huge profits off a movie it wound up having nothing to do with. Who wouldn't want an arrangement like that?

Right now, Oz is over $500 million worldwide yet folks out west are still whispering that it hasn't broken into the black yet. That is simply absurd. And it's a byproduct of Iger's tentpole/sequel strategy. The only unit of the company that is likely to see no lay-offs is ESPN/ABC (read into that whatever you choose).

As for the DL 'situation' ... well, I don't know enough about the specifics, but to see the term 'willfully' used multiple times to assess sanctions against the DLR really doesn't speak well of past management, which is sorta current management as Meg Crofton was the ultimate 'manager' when these things were allowed to continue and she remains so. How this might affect new WDW Prez George Kalogridis is certainly open to interpretation. But, most likely, Disney has chosen a designated fall guy already.

Speaking of George, he still remains in seclusion and has been ignoring multiple requests by The Advocate and others to do a major piece on him that Disney wants no part of. I wonder if they had approached him while in much more tolerant SoCal if Disney would have allowed it. My guess is still no. The fact that George is gay, along with many other WDW CMs at all levels, isn't something they're ashamed of, but they are also aware that many of their bread and butter guests are ... how to say it? ... nicely? ... um, there isn't a way ... scared and hateful of those who aren't like them.

Back to the situation regarding DLR having three marquee attractions forced to be closed on a spring weekend ... While some folks may wish to take shots at California (oversight there is crazy but to be fair, until a few decades ago, one of the most breathtaking states in the country was being destroyed in the name of big business), I don't doubt that WDW, UNI and SW ALL would have similar issues, if not worse, if we had the regulation in FL that is the case out west.

Finally, I would be remiss if I failed to mention TDL's 30th Anniversary. Unlike 99% of the folks here, I've been lucky enough to go. It is an amazing place, run by people who still adhere to real Disney standards and then take them up a notch. You can't visit the place and ever view WDW the same again after. I hope to be able to return this fall, and that many of you will also be able to go and see what Disney once represented to the world beyond what now lies in Orlando.

And, no, you may not see as much of me, but, I assure you, that is a good thing. For me, and -- likely -- for our beloved WDW.

djlaosc

As for the UNI information, I have been asked by my source to not place all that I know out just yet and I respect that. What I can tell you is more general, but still incredibly impressive. UNI has BIG ... no, HUGE ... plans for Central Florida that include major new attractions, the real E-tickets, in the next 5-6 years (they will just keep coming with no gaps) for both parks, the addition of more hotels (beyond the three existing and the one being built -- two with VERY kewl themes), a new water park and ... while y'all debate mythical fifth gates at WDW, UNI will be/is building a third. I guess that's big enough news right there. That's not rumour either. That is the plan right now.

I can tell you that by 2018, EVERY existing expansion pad/locale at UNI and IOA will either have something new on it or something under construction.

Thank you for telling us what you can!

Do you know whether the two new hotels would be "Deluxe" (PBR/HRH/RPR) or "Value" (CBR) or even something else?

I'm guessing that you won't be able to reveal the "theme" of the third theme park, if you know it.

And, does anyone know where the expansion pads in USF/IOA are? (Behind Curious George, Fear Factor, Toon Lagoon Theater, etc.)

Also, would you be able to post this section in the Universal Forum, or could I copy and paste it over there (and obviously credit you) so that we could discuss it over there, which is probably better than in the middle of your thread in a WDW forum?

bubbles1812

Just posted. Sorry for the delay ... too much real world stuff to deal with.
Whoo! Just going to quote this one since your other is so freaking long ;) (Though an enjoyable read nonetheless). Anyways...

Love seeing the Universal news. I can't tell you how impressed I was when I visited in February. To be fair I had a great time at WDW and Uni, but the efforts Uni is putting into their parks was extremely evident from WWOHP, to construction on HP 2.0, to the construction in Simpson's, and right down to the evidence of new paint on a lot of structures. Was a completely different place from when last I visited, which was before HP was built. Just shows what investing big time in infrastructure, show, and new rides can do for you. (NFE was nice, certainly, and I even mostly liked Mermaid but HP 1.0 it ain't).

A new well themed water park would so great and I know this is one we did know would be coming down the pipeline. Hope they develop some cool stuff. Hotels, I'm definitely curious about the themes though wondering if they are going to be mega hotels the way the value ones are? Honestly hope they won't be. The Valued serve their function well at WDW but I'm not a fan of some of the things they've wrought.

The thought of a third park for Univeral is... Huge to me. That's a game changer. That's a "if people want to go and really experience Uni," they need to designate more days or just dedicate a whole vacation to it, much like when DHS was added to WDW.

Have many questions that immediately come to mind like what land they are going to build on. (Lockheed I think is the name of the land they want to eventually buy back. When are they going buy that?). And what will the theme park focus on (still hoping they manage to get the rights to LOTR if the Tolkien Estate pulls that stick out of their butts..though I don't think that LOTR could be the only thing in the park). What is the estimated cost? And lastly, what does Disney do if this all comes to fruitation? Is this what it takes for Disney to actually invest in their parks the way Uni is or do they keep trucking with things like Next Gen to nickel and dime their guests to death? I assume Disney is aware of some of these Uni plans.. Are they scoffing that it can't be done or sweating in their boots?

@74. I'd love even if some if my questions where answered though some of the specific plan details I don't expect to hear til later. And that is just fine. More specifically just asking for any insight you have into what Disney (Burbank/TDO ect) think of these possible upcoming developments from their biggest competitor? That's honestly what I'm most interested in at least at this point.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thank you for telling us what you can!

Do you know whether the two new hotels would be "Deluxe" (PBR/HRH/RPR) or "Value" (CBR) or even something else?

At least one will very much be a deluxe. I am not sure they know what the others will be yet.

I'm guessing that you won't be able to reveal the "theme" of the third theme park, if you know it.

I don't know and I am quite sure they don't beyond 'possible' ideas. Land is still an issue, although it won't be when all is said and done :)

EDIT: OK, I sorta do know what direction they are thinking, but it is complicated and I have been asked to zip it on that subject, so I will. So, please don't ask via PMs/emails ...thanks.

And, does anyone know where the expansion pads in USF/IOA are? (Behind Curious George, Fear Factor, Toon Lagoon Theater, etc.)

I'd ask someone who looks at maps and site plans and such. That would not be me!

Also, would you be able to post this section in the Universal Forum, or could I copy and paste it over there (and obviously credit you) so that we could discuss it over there, which is probably better than in the middle of your thread in a WDW forum?

Sure. Put it there if you like. But I have very limited time these days and will likely stick close to this thread. Again, I also put it here to contrast with WDW, which has no significant plans and keeps playing 'run a major world class vacation destination on the fly' ... maybe I'll be shocked, though. Maybe for the first time in a decade-plus of these events, they'll actually announce something late next week.

I wouldn't bet your savings on it!

djlaosc

At least one will very much be a deluxe. I am not sure they know what the others will be yet.

I don't know and I am quite sure they don't beyond 'possible' ideas. Land is still an issue, although it won't be when all is said and done :)

EDIT: OK, I sorta do know what direction they are thinking, but it is complicated and I have been asked to zip it on that subject, so I will. So, please don't ask via PMs/emails ...thanks.

I'd ask someone who looks at maps and site plans and such. That would not be me!

Sure. Put it there if you like. But I have very limited time these days and will likely stick close to this thread. Again, I also put it here to contrast with WDW, which has no significant plans and keeps playing 'run a major world class vacation destination on the fly' ... maybe I'll be shocked, though. Maybe for the first time in a decade-plus of these events, they'll actually announce something late next week.

I wouldn't bet your savings on it!

Thank you for the information.

Don't worry, I wouldn't expect you to give any more information than you can - I'm just grateful for the information that you can share.

I wasn't expecting you to necessarily participate over in the Universal forum - just wanted to get the information across there so that the information wouldn't get lost. Here it is for anyone interested...
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ets-hotels-waterpark-and-theme-park-3.863490/

Genie of the Lamp

I'll guess and say that the water park for UNI will be called "Universal WonderSea Island water park". Maybe it could go behind the Hogsmeade WWOHP land. I also wouldn't mind seeing a bigger presence of the Fast and Furious and Terminator IP's/Franchises. I also remember seeing about a couple years ago that the old Hard Rock Cafe might be demolished to make way for new attractions that would tie into a newer and more interesting Universal movie production IP. Is this still in play? Also, I'd love to see a HTTYD attraction or land as that has amazing potential. If I were Tony Baxter, I'd totally jump ship and get on board with UNI creative ASAP!

GLaDOS

Just posted. Sorry for the delay ... too much real world stuff to deal with.

No problem. Thanks for the info.

I'll guess and say that the water park for UNI will be called "Universal WonderSea Island". Maybe it could go behind the Hogsmeade WWOHP land. I also wouldn't mind seeing a bigger presence of the Fast and Furious and Terminator IP's/Franchises. I also remember seeing about a couple years ago that the old Hard Rock Cafe might be demolished to make way for new attractions that would tie into a newer and more interesting Universal movie production IP. Is this still in play? Also, I'd love to see a HTTYD attraction or land as that has amazing potential. If I were Tony Baxter, I'd totally jump ship and get on board with UNI creative ASAP!

Old Hard Rock was demolished in 2011 for offices. Cabana Bay Beach Resort is going behind IoA.

Animaniac93-98

Speaking of George, he still remains in seclusion and has been ignoring multiple requests by The Advocate and others to do a major piece on him that Disney wants no part of. I wonder if they had approached him while in much more tolerant SoCal if Disney would have allowed it. My guess is still no. The fact that George is gay, along with many other WDW CMs at all levels, isn't something they're ashamed of, but they are also aware that many of their bread and butter guests are ... how to say it? ... nicely? ... um, there isn't a way ... scared and hateful of those who aren't like them.

As sad is this comment is, you gotta believe 5-10 years from now this kind of fear on the part of Disney will be dead and buried. Everyday the hysterical hatred from cartoonish conservatives over the existance of LGBT people is looking more and more ridiculous, and any noise they would make would probably fall on deaf ears as it does not directly relate to what WDW is selling as a destination (it's hardly an Atlantis or RSVP cruise), and most probably wouldn't care (see: Baptist boycotts) or ever see the story.

I hope to be able to return this fall, and that many of you will also be able to go and see what Disney once represented to the world beyond what now lies in Orlando.

After DLP it will be next for me...maybe.

And all that UNI news sounds good to me. Water Park, 2 more hotels, more rides and a third park? If UNI can convince enough people that it is a week long vacation resort onto itself, WDW is screwed. Most domestic tourists don't have the kind of time and money to do a week at WDW and UNI each.

culturenthrills

[quote="WDW1974, post: 5437680, member: 5492

I wouldn't bet your savings on it![/quote]

Could Dr Phillips HS finally be going bye bye for the right price?

I gotta imagine UNI has to be looking at some form of transportation system to link all these hotels and parks. Wouldn't that be a nice slap in Disney's face if they added a light rail system to connect all the resorts and parks. Hey come stay at UNI we don't have no stinking busses

djlaosc

No. There is no empty space behind Curious George.

I thought that that is where KidZone would be getting expanded into? (I'm talking across Expo Backstage Road to Backlot Road beside Men in Black, not across Psycho Backstage Road, as that is to Hard Rock Hotel)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom