Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
You know, we've never seen full disclosure about any of the insiders and how it happens that they have access to inside information that turns out to be accurate.

But my major point, here, is this: we've all appreciated the access to apparently inside information that 74, yourself, martin, Corrus, raven, and others have provided, and we do so without having to have them present credentials. I think in this debate, that courtesy needs to extend both ways.

I hesitate to respond to this because this gets us off topic yet again ... but I'd like to know just what kind of credential a so-called 'Disney insider' (something that I have been labeled, but I don't like to use myself) would have? Do you think we have cards signed by all the folks at Disney who slip us info? Do we have secret LE pins that were given to us by Roy Disney? Do we have Meg Crofton signed bobbleheads? @Lee even has the more valuable Erin Youngs bobblehead.

All you have to do with any of us 'insiders' is judge us on our track records and the perspective and history and knowledge we bring. I know I am not right all the time -- and I've been very upfront in my lack of tech knowledge (although not that of my sources). But I am right far more than I am not and I know that I put information, factual information, out before anyone else. If I didn't, then I'd likely have been run off from the Disney fan community years before I ever joined this site.

But just because people have tech knowledge that I -- and many others who don't work in tech fields -- lack, doesn't make their OPINIONS regarding the value of NGE/MM+ anymore valuable. It's pretty obvious that someone who has spent a lifetime working in tech is going to lean toward loving this or 'giving it the benefit of the doubt' than those of us who already find technology and tracking waaaaay too intrusive in the USA.

And, no, just because that train has left the station doesn't mean the government can't slow it down or put up safety checkpoints along its route.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do you have any idea about how adaptable either phase is for deployment to state-side parks? They do like to amortize their design expense...

Well, Phase I for DLP is largely updating Star Tours to the current version here, making an indoor version of the Jedi Traning Academy (plussed a bit with the Captain EO theater) and having the Pizza Planet facility turned into a Cantina. ... So all of that except the last has largely been done.
Phase II is to include two attractions from what I've been told, one a major E-Ticket, the other a minor B-C type. Could those eventually migrate here? Yes.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nice, so now you're just making up crap you KNOW is not accurate with the attempt to bash something and get the minions riled up. Never let actual facts get in the way of an agenda.

You know, I don't have anyone (even my old pal, JT) on ignore. You have been very close for years. You never seem to post a damn thing in any thread I'm involved in that others might not construe as an attack on me ... that said, I keep hearing the word 'agenda' tossed around by you and a few others, yet no one EVER puts out what they 'think' my agenda is. Either tell the class what my agenda -- in your not so humble opinion -- is or sit the hell down and find something of value to post about.

FWIW, I absolutely have an agenda. You are right about that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Or, 'Wow, that's a good time to eat at that restaurant, but I don't have any food allergies, so I'll take that part off'.

Exactly. Didn't even think of that ... bottom line is if Disney didn't believe it was doing something WRONG, it wouldn't be mailing out gift cards to folks who are logging in to see/change their info and pulling up other folks' info instead.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Maybe it's me, but I don't see how his statement could be seen as anything other than what it was...an illustration of a potential problem. Very common, and not at all devious or dishonest. *shrug*

If people are gullible enough to think he actually did that...I'm losing hope for mankind.

You still have hope for mankind?!?!? REALLY?!?!?

Well, as they say in your parts, bless your heart. Just bless your heart ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed with one minor caveat...there is a Mary Jenkins in Erie, PA.

Perhaps 5 seconds to come up with a more fantastical name would make the hyperbole more clear.

With that said, it was pretty clear '74 was speaking in hyperbole.

Do you know Mary? Don't tell her what I did, Jake!!!

Seriously, if you and Eskimo Monty and Hillbilly Lee are all agreeing with me then the only conclusion I can come to is either I am wrong or the Mayans were off by a few months! ;-)

I say it's the latter!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Good spirited news here:

http://www.examiner.com/article/bes...ops-2013-cruise-critic-cruisers-choice-awards

Congrats to the Dream and Fantasy. In terms of relating this to the thread title, is it possible that we could end up seeing Magicbands being sold/used on Disney Cruise ships? Do they have a touch n pay system implemented on their already (haven't been on a DC yet which is why I'm asking)?

Well, MM+ (and DDP) is based on a cruise line model in many ways. One would think that implimenting this with DCL and testing it live under a much smaller group would have worked. That's what I would have done.

DCL, like all cruises, is all cashless (except at front desk or if you're giving a tip to someone not covered by normal gratuities) and CC-less. You basically run everything off a Keys To the World Card.

On a different subject, being a Top One Percenter and all, I got my new debit/ATM card from one of my offshore banks today and it is a chip card (totally worthless here).

WDW1974

Original Poster
If people are reading this forum with some kind of journalistic expectation (the word "Rumor" is in the title after all) then I would say that's the fault of the reader and not the author. The context or expectation should be established based purely on the forum title. Of course there are people that don't recognize context, you can't teach someone critical thinking after all.

I'd just like to go ON the record and say that when I put info out as fact, I vet it more thoroughly than most real reporters. When I add opinion, that's just ... well, what I think and, of course, is designed to get attention. I wouldn't spend all this time here if no one was reading what I was writing. I could just be a Disney Blogger!

And even when I put out rumour, I always base it on known facts, circumstances and word from people I trust who work for Disney or in the industry.

I don't come here and talk about ridiculous fifth gates or E-Tickets coming to parks because a CPer told me so when begging to touch me.

Mouse Detective

On a different subject, being a Top One Percenter and all, I got my new debit/ATM card from one of my offshore banks today and it is a chip card (totally worthless here).

I thought chip cards also had the magnetic strip so that it COULD be used here?

I called AMEX two weeks ago to get a Delta Skymiles chip card; so tired of having ticket machines, toll plazas, etc in Europe refuse to sell me tickets with a strip only card. On it's way, she said. A week later a regular strip card shows up, no chip, I call. Sorry, we don't have a Delta Skymiles chip card! Thanks for telling me. Aren't Delta Skymilers world travelers? Don't we deserve chips with our AMEX card? America is sooo behind on this.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I never implied he actually did it... but he loves to make up and exaggerate to sell his point. I haven't seen details of what supposedly happened, but from what I can tell of the app, there's no way to make changes that would charge someone else. Booking other rooms (at a higher price), having something delivered... all exaggerations. You know it, but you'll still defend. Too many of the minions will take whatever he says as truth and then spread it around. That's what he wants. He knows it and you know it.

What have I made up ? Please, tell me ... beyond my obvious to even two of my 'haters' brigade sarcastic example of what could be done ...

And I can tell you for a fact (again if you choose to be ignorant, then that is on you!) that if you can pull up someone's complete reservation info (and you can), that you can also modify and or cancel it. You don't have access to your ressies, so you can sit and admire them on a screen, wannabe.

lazyboy97o

Exactly. Didn't even think of that ... bottom line is if Disney didn't believe it was doing something WRONG, it wouldn't be mailing out gift cards to folks who are logging in to see/change their info and pulling up other folks' info instead.
Who is saying something is not wrong?

WDW1974

Original Poster
There was supposedly one on the DIS, and a couple reports here.
Anybody feel like finding a link? I don't.

That's up to others. ... I tried last night, but the DIS Boards are impossible to wade thru and their search function was down. I had no idea where the thread I pulled the first incident from was.

But if someone is so damn sure that this is all lies and mistruths (again, really what would be the purpose?), let them go searching. It's out there and there was at least one report on MAGIC thus far ... taking into account that such a tiny portion of WDW-goers actively post on forums, it's pretty safe to say there are others out there that aren't being reported.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom