Spirit Airlines

AgentB911

Has anyone ever flown on Spirit? They are starting daily flights from Arnold Palmer Airport here in May. Just wondering...good or bad? Their flights are very affordable.

If you have flown, or know anything about Spirit, please let me know! I'd really like to know what kind of planes they fly. Thanks!

stillgoofy

I've flown Spirit a ton of times from Detroit. The seats are small (but so are all airlines nowadays) and no extra perks, but for the price you can't beat it. Once or twice delayed a bit but nothing major. Plus they have promotions all the time for free miles and you can get free flights very easily with a small amount of miles. We've flown free with them many times over the years. When we do pay the flights are very cheap ($39 or $59 one way). One time we flew for $19 one way. They do nickel and dime you with baggage costs though, but it seems most all airline charge for baggage now. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

The price of the flights are low because they charge so much for luggage! Check to see if they even charge for carry on's. I paid $30.00 for a carry on! Some of those prices are for members only for a club you pay to join. The plane it self is OK and the service was good. Just be aware of the fees.

Upvote 0

SyracuseOrange

I've flown Spirit many times. They are the greyhound/megabus of the airline industries. Advertisements all over the plane, extra fees for everything (even carry-on bags!) and nothing too special. That being said, if you book in advance and catch the right promotion, you can typically get a cheap ticket.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

A friend of mine flies with them all the time... She is part of the $9 fare club and enjoys the airline. We are actually flying with them for the 1st time in May as they were the cheapest ticket we could get. I am absolutely shocked how expensive airfare is right now. Even with Spirits baggage fees, it was still cheap to fly them then any other airline that we looked into.

Upvote 0

dsnylvr

Make sure you read the fine print. They get you with the hidden fees. All other airlines luggage weight is 50lbs, theres is 40lbs. It is cheaper to check 2 bags than have 1 bag over the limit. You also need to pay for any carry on that goes in the overhead compartment.

Upvote 0

CashConover

The Spirit at Spirit Airlines
"...Only the base ticket price - Spirit has advertised base fares as low as $9 - is subject to a 7.5 percent federal excise tax. The Internal Revenue Service doesn't consider additional services essential to transporting someone so ancillary fees are not taxed.
So the fees - such as $30-$40 for a large carryon bag - are pocketed by Spirit,..."
- The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_20041506#ixzz1nVTENAdK

Some of Spitit's fees include:
$40 for a carry-on; $38 first checked bag; $45 second checked bag; $95 third checked bag. Slightly less is done on-line.
Drinks-$1-15; snack- $1-10; pets- $100

Reservations Booking Fee – $10.00 per customer, per booking
Passenger Usage Fee – Domestic Flights $8.99 to $16.99 per customer, each way
Charge for Airport Agents printing Boarding Passes (Fee starts 24 Jan 2012)$5.00 per boarding pass printed

Spirit Assigned Seating at Check-In Free
Customer-Requested Seat Assignments / Deluxe Leather $1.00 to $50.00 per seat
Big Front Seats (In advance) $12.00 to $199.00 per seat

I'd do my homework and figure out how much the flight with fees will be, then compare to other airlines.

Upvote 0

Diane Hughess

We fly Spirit once in a while, and I actually really enjoy it. We fly out of Atlantic City NJ, which is a VERY small airport. It's just such a treat to be able to pull right up to the entrance doors and drop off my family and luggage, drive a few feet and park. The airport is never crowded. Our flight always take off on time (or early) and arrive early as well. The seats are leather and comfy. I'm thinking I love the small airport more than actual Spirit. I think if Spirit flew out of Philadelphia, I would never take them for the already stated problems. A $9 flight to Myrtle Beach last year morphed into a $350 roundtrip ticket! The fees are outrageous, and you don't truely know the hidden fees until check out, where the total can be stunning in a bad way! Now if only Southwest flew out of Atlantic City, travel would be a breeze!

Upvote 0

Rasvar

The only issue I have with Spirit, other than you have to be really careful with the fees, is when they do have cancellations for weather it is hell. I have had a couple of friends at different times be stranded for multiple days trying to deal with Spirit after weather canceled the flight. This was not even a big weather outbreak but a thunderstorm cancelled flight. This is the thing that makes me shy away from them. Otherwise, everything seems to be ok.

Upvote 0

MITCH 112198

I have looked at that being from Greensburg but once I would pay for lugguge for 6 people and carry-ons I can still fly southwest from Pittsburgh cheaper and still pay for parking and be ahead.

Upvote 0

njBadLands

Have flown them about a dozen times, including our trip this month. Very affordable, planes and seats no smaller than most, and good service.

As mentioned, be aware of the "hidden" costs, but MOST airlines are charging for checked bags now. $30 for first checked back is standard. As for carry-ons, you can bring a backpack (as long as fits under seat) free of charge. Where you will be charged for carry-ons is the larger bags or the smaller rolling suitcases that need to go in the overhead compartment.

Never had a weather issue or delayed flight.

They will charge you for water or food, so if the flight would require you needing a drink, buy it in the terminal like we did. Larger diaper bags are free of charge to bring onboard and strollers (put under the plane at gate) are also free.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom