Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Gringrinngghost

For archival:
IMG_0867.jpeg

Tweeted by Scott Gustin about behind the attractions.

Also that dust,
IMG_0874.jpeg

muddyrivers

Apparently the Vic Perrin narration got a mention during a SSE presentation at Retromagic. I can’t seem to find any recordings though
There was a panel with John Decuir Jr., Peggie Fariss, and Richard Vaughn that was moderated by I believe Brian Miles of the RetroWDW podcast and Michael Crawford from Progress City USA where they discussed the beginnings of Spaceship Earth. The recording of the panel should be up in a few weeks' time if past events are any indication.

VicariousCorpse

So apparently they showed footage of the chariot projection still working at Retromagic 40 which got an applause. Its now almost two months later and I’ve yet to see any good videos of the entire presentation or at least the SSE portion.
I still can't find it but almost all the other panels have been uploaded. For anyone else looking, the two that they had about Spaceship Earth were:

Grand and Miraculous: Spaceship Earth​

You’ll want to thank more than the Phoenicians after this jam-packed panel describing every detail of Spaceship Earth from start to finish. Imagineers Peggie Farris, Richard Vaughn, and John DeCuir Jr. share terrific stories about EPCOT’s park icon.

Tomorrow’s Child​

Tammy Tuckey discusses the story behind the Spaceship Earth song “Tomorrow’s Child” with singer Sally Stevens before performing the iconic song live.

I did find this video with the lights on recently though. Lights are on from the beginning and shut off right before the top.

Dragonman

Got stuck under the spaceship for quite a while yesterday. Was able to get this photo. Never noticed the grating before; does it allow for CM walking access into the spaceship?
If you’re referring to the hole at the top, that was added during the 2007 installation of the blue lighting rigs. The space station capsule originally had top and behind access for the AA inside.

Bill in Atlanta

Ah, I see now.

Also wanted to add, just after the graduation caps, if you continue looking over your left shoulder it appeared to me last week there may be some other artifacts from old scenes showing. There were other riders so I couldn’t get a flash photo. If anyone is going soon I’d be curious to see more from that area.

Dragonman

Can’t remember if this was posted here before but here’s a great photo of the Egyptian worker on the scaffolding. This is one figure that I’ve always felt was pointlessly removed considering the scaffolding itself still exists. If the figure still exists I’d like to see him return in the eventual next refurb.
1710259442779.png

yensidtlaw1969

Can’t remember if this was posted here before but here’s a great photo of the Egyptian worker on the scaffolding. This is one figure that I’ve always felt was pointlessly removed considering the scaffolding itself still exists. If the figure still exists I’d like to see him return in the eventual next refurb.
View attachment 772670
I believe he was removed because someone thought he looked silly - hard to tell in this photo, but he was in forced perspective, and while it worked well if you didn't look at him directly but worked less well if you did.

I'm sorry to say at this point the chances that he exists outside of a landfill or an Imagineer's apartment are pretty low.

JoeCamel

View attachment 772670

I believe he was removed because someone thought he looked silly - hard to tell in this photo, but he was in forced perspective, and while it worked well if you didn't look at him directly but worked less well if you did.

I'm sorry to say at this point the chances that he exists outside of a landfill or an Imagineer's apartment are pretty low.
OSHA came by and said put up yellow containment rails or get him down from there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom