Spaceship Earth Colors

artbell2

Original Poster
It's been almost 10 years since I was last at WDW and I can't remember how they are able to light up Spaceship Earth? Do they shine the light on Spaceship Earth? Does the exterior shell of Spaceship Earth itself have the ability able to switch colors? Also over the course of twilight, evening and nightfall do the colors of Spaceship Earth change to eventually being dark blue by closing?

Also what is your favorite color scheme of Spaceship Earth at night? Mine is a mixture of purple and blue. I remember the last time I was at EPCOT I was standing in awe of Spaceship Earth how neat the colors looked on it at night.

Mike

JML42691

Not exactly sure what lights they use or how it is programmed for changing colors, but they use lights on the rooftops of surrounding buildings.

WDW Monorail

Because of the "obstruction", SSE no longer changes colors throughout the night. It stays the same purple/yellow color.
Hopefully, the old light schemes will returm once the "obstruction" is removed.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Always handy...

lightinsse.jpg

I like that it changed colors.

Dangeresque

It's been almost 10 years since I was last at WDW and I can't remember how they are able to light up Spaceship Earth? Do they shine the light on Spaceship Earth? Does the exterior shell of Spaceship Earth itself have the ability able to switch colors? Also over the course of twilight, evening and nightfall do the colors of Spaceship Earth change to eventually being dark blue by closing?

Also what is your favorite color scheme of Spaceship Earth at night? Mine is a mixture of purple and blue. I remember the last time I was at EPCOT I was standing in awe of Spaceship Earth how neat the colors looked on it at night.

Mike

I don't believe they change colors any more but if it's been 10 years your're in for a treat. They have installed a giant wand for the millenium that said "2000" on it. Since then they changed it to say Epcot.

SirNim

I wasn't aware of any sort of schedule whereby SE would gradually change to a certain color by park-closing (though, of course, it's likely that the same color changes were activated at the same time each night). What I do know is that a dark blue/purple/indigo color was chosen for the upper half of SE for many of the color schemes because the lights could not effectively reach and fully illuminate the entire sphere. The dark blue/purple color would thus effectively blend into the color of the night sky at the apex of the sphere.

That's all I know 'bout that. :D

Rob562

Always handy...

lightinsse.jpg

I like that it changed colors.

And do you notice how the lighting on the fountain sculpture also changed colors to match/complement SSE? (sigh)

Changing colors is yet another thing that I hope returns after the wand is removed...

-Rob

Mikester71

Of course after Illuminations or during it, SSE displays "brought to you by Siemens" or something to that effect in green. It looks almost like a green laser shooting it on there and it spins around and everything (or at least it did when I saw it twice this past March). I am pretty sure it does this as everyone is exiting the park after Illuminations though.

Expo_Seeker40

The laser effect was finally restored after being unused for years.

Once again, for about 5 to 10 minutes after IllumiNations is done, the backside of SSE is still dark and has three sequences projected onto it...."IllumiNations......presented by Seimens.....*then the rotating globe effect*"

Originally it was just the rotating globe effect for 5-10 minutes, now it stops occasionally to show the phrases IllumiNations and presented by Seimens....nonetheless a great old effect has come back!

Personally I always thought they could have just white lights on the buildings, with a color wheel type lens over them. So that before IllumiNations starts, we see SSE completely lit up in white...then it goes dark for Illuminations, then 5-10 minutes after Illuminations it remains dark, before rotating with the three color schemes until the lights are turned off for the night. ;)

kcnole

My next big hope is that shortly after the wand removal, we can remove the tombstones out front and restore that fountain to its former glory as well. I'd forgotten how beautiful it was with the glass sculpture as well.

Figment82

I love seeing the laser effect come back into use.

Besides the usual "Presented by Siemens" rotation they use during the normal IllumiNations, on the 4th of July last year they had stars and in script font the laser wrote out "Happy 225th Birthday America." During the Christmas season they had snowflakes falling amongst Goodbye written in different languages. On New Years Eve they used the laser as a countdown clock.

lilredfoxie

whne was the fountian sculpture removed?

In 1999 during construction for the Millenium Celebration. It was taken out, the fountain is still there, just the sculpture is gone. When I was there in the summer of 99 I remember clearly the entrace to Epcot being a maze of blue construction walls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom