Space Mountain vs. Space Mountain

Californian Elitist

Yup... I remember you warning me on how jerky,bumpy, and extremely crammed it was... I thought you were exaggerating, but once I got on, whew.... You were NOT exaggerating!

Matterhorn literally beats you to a pulp... But you have fun in the process... Well kinda.

Yep. I remember going one night with my friends. I slammed into the side of the bobsled and yelled "OW! really loud. They all laughed at me.

JillC LI

On the other hand do not ride Matterhorn at DL. Same type of vehicles as SM at WDW and it's even a rougher ride in my view.

I agree that Matterhorn is much rougher than SM at WDW. I didn't really enjoy it although I'm glad I had the chance to try it to know what it was all about. Too bad SM was under refurb when we were at DL in May.

RMichael21

The Matterhorn was fun, but it really does hurt your back. I loved Space Mountain though! The whole time I was wondering where the rough part was. The only thing I didn't like about the DL version was that there aren't any big drops. I have family members who are around that height and they fit into the seats fine.

Absimilliard

Disneyland Space Mountain effects inside are mostly gone through. The lack of any good rehab since the ride reopened in 2005 mean that some effects don't work inside. Plus, some things were installed and never activated! There is the "hypergate" light effect on the drop and the glowing red meteor at the top of Lift 2. On the other hand, the new track that was installed by AMEC (now Dynamic Attractions) is perfect and the rockets do run smooth on it if you get one that got refurbed lately.

Jedi Matt: Space Mountain at HKDL is a Vekoma ride, not DL. At Disneyland, they kept part of the station and all 3 lift hills from the original Space Mountain. AMEC redesigned the supports, footers and track to "plug in" with that.

CheshireCat12

Just visited for the first time and wanted to weigh in-
1. DL Space Mt. is superior to WDW due to the music, the more comfortable seating, and the starry effects are more appealing. WDW Space Mt. could use some music and the ride vehicle is cramped. But I enjoy both very much!
2. Matterhorn- that was a "one and done" for me. Why can't they put some kind of a cushion on the seat? Rough and not long enough. But props for having a yeti!

worldfanatic

Just got back from 4 days at DLR.
Some quick observations on the "Mountains".

Space Mountain - Stunningly smooth when compared to WDW's, but I do miss the "fear factor" that comes with the Florida version.

Matterhorn - Yes, it will beat you up, but it's worth it.
A ride at night is a much, much, much better experience.
I can't stress that enough.
Do not miss the Matterhorn after dark!

Big Thunder Mountain - The new visual effects are fantastic, and the new track is ultra smooth. A great refurb!

Californian Elitist

Just got back from 4 days at DLR.
Some quick observations on the "Mountains".

Space Mountain - Stunningly smooth when compared to WDW's, but I do miss the "fear factor" that comes with the Florida version.

Matterhorn - Yes, it will beat you up, but it's worth it.
A ride at night is a much, much, much better experience.
I can't stress that enough.
Do not miss the Matterhorn after dark!

Big Thunder Mountain - The new visual effects are fantastic, and the new track is ultra smooth. A great refurb!

Yes, yes, yes to the bolded part. I may complain about Matterhorn beating the crap out of me, but it's a classic and a fun ride, especially at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom