Southwest allows 2 bags per person predicament. (LoL)

DiSnEyF@n

So, this is the first time in a while that my family and I will be flying using Southwest Airlines. They allow 2 checked bags per person. We are a family of 3: me, DH and DD2. We are going to Disney for 4 nights in 2 weeks. We clearly don't need 6 bags total, but I was thinking about using one of the suitcases for food.....

With that said, I don't know what is ok to pack and what isn't... My list includes juice boxes (that I'll put in a ziplock) but I'm afraid that they will all explode or something. Also, I have uncrustables on the list too, but I'm afraid they'll be crushed and ruined from being thrown around or possibly under other people's luggage. What should I do? I really want to utitlize my extra bag. I'll have stuff like diapers in there with it so they could be used to "cushion" the food too.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Clamman73

I go to the Target on 192, but have a list in mind of what I need. Water, milk, granola bars, yogurt, bananas, dark chocolate, done. In and out and over to All Stars to drop off the stuff and get the room before the Parks.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

As long as you pack it well, you can check almost anything. Things like you cannot check spare batteries, explosives, etc but I think that's about it. Wrap breakables securely to prevent leaks, and anything crushable should be in a sturdy box of some sort. However, the time/effort to properly pack things will most likely outweigh the ease of using something like Amazon Pantry. And especially if you have a rental car, stopping at a grocery store may be easiest. Unless you have specific needs or foods you don't want to risk not being able to find, then definitely pack that stuff.

Did you buy your DD's ticket? If she is traveling as a lap child she doesn't get checked luggage. Although if you have a rental car, I'd suspect you are bringing a car seat and thus bought her a seat.

Upvote 0

Herdman

Another option is to order online from Garden Grocer. We've used them a couple times when flying, and they have been great. It's a little more expensive than shopping yourself, but it's nice to pick what you want ahead of time and have it arrive fresh and in one piece to your resort.

Upvote 0

Diznyfan

Another option is to order online from Garden Grocer. We've used them a couple times when flying, and they have been great. It's a little more expensive than shopping yourself, but it's nice to pick what you want ahead of time and have it arrive fresh and in one piece to your resort.
Agree with Herdman, you may want to look into Garden Grocer, a bit more pricey, but you don't have to spend time shopping. If you're not too pressed for time, you could always go to Walmart or Publix. Publix now has an online delivery option, but I don't know if they would deliver to a resort.

For extra storage, you may want to look into the vacuum seal bags. They create tons of space which allows you to fit more into each bag.

Upvote 0

coachwnh

Was just going to suggest GG. Used them several times. Never an issue.

Upvote 0

sandam1

I pack all of my "crushable" snacks in a shoebox when traveling. Then if I buy any fragile items, they go in the shoebox for the trip home. But if I don't (like on my last trip), I have no problem leaving the box behind.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

We packed a bunch of food on our last trip in our suitcases. Cheaper and much easier than going out to shop or using a delivery service. We packed two loaves of bread in sturdy shoe boxes, peanut butter, jelly, and nutella. We packed a tupperware full of cereal bars, granola bars, squeeze apple sauces, dried fruit, nuts etc. And we brought single serve packs of animal crackers, cheezits etc. We packed a bottle of juice (in two ziploc bags) our own water bottles, and drink mix ins. Worked great for us!

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
As long as you pack it well, you can check almost anything. Things like you cannot check spare batteries, explosives, etc but I think that's about it. Wrap breakables securely to prevent leaks, and anything crushable should be in a sturdy box of some sort. However, the time/effort to properly pack things will most likely outweigh the ease of using something like Amazon Pantry. And especially if you have a rental car, stopping at a grocery store may be easiest. Unless you have specific needs or foods you don't want to risk not being able to find, then definitely pack that stuff.

Did you buy your DD's ticket? If she is traveling as a lap child she doesn't get checked luggage. Although if you have a rental car, I'd suspect you are bringing a car seat and thus bought her a seat.

She's in her own seat bc they have to be in their own seat over 2 years old and we're not bringing her car seat.
Thanks for the packing advice. I think we well just stop and get what we need and not take our chances.

Upvote 0

YozhikRoth

When I travel on Southwest, with a six bag allotment for myself and the kids, I'll pack a smaller suitcase into a larger one. This gives us an extra piece of luggage to pack all the swag we buy on the trip

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I'm probably in the minority, but my packing philosophy is very minimalist, and due to a couple of bad experiences in the past, I avoid checking a bag, or bringing unnecessary bags, at all costs! For that reason, we focus on bringing foodstuffs that "pack small" and are non-liquid and non-perishable.

For our family of four, for a week, we pack 4 small (21") rollaboards that fit in the overhead bins of our aircraft. Bag 1 contains my clothes and accessories (typically I'll pack half of the number of outfits I need, plus one "just in case," and then I'll do a quick load of laundry on our mid-week pool day), all of our toiletries, with a 3-1-1 bag for the liquids/gels, and an empty laundry bag. Bag 2 contains my husband's clothes (again, usually half of what he'll need) and accessories, plus an additional 3-1-1 bag filled with nothing but sunscreen for his crazily sensitive Scotch-Irish skin. Bag 3 contains clothes and accessories for both kids (with outfits rolled together and placed in color-coded packing cubes, for easy unpacking).

Bag 4 holds all of the extras, PLUS breakfasts and snacks for a 7-night stay (a bit longer than the OP is staying). There's one very small packing cube of "miscellaneous items" such as rain ponchos, cell phone chargers, a nightlight, clothespins. The rest of the bag is filled with all of our breakfast and snack items (e.g., oatmeal or single-serving cereal packets, granola bars, nuts, Pop Tarts, powdered flavored coffee creamer, dried fruit like yogurt-covered raisins or Craisins, gummy fruit snacks or Goldfish, and disposable nested picnicware bowls and spoons for cereal). When we get to the resort, all we have to buy is milk for our cereal, and we're set for the week, usually with a few items to spare. (We've toyed in the past with bringing a loaf of bread, packed in a hard-sided box, and buying a jar of peanut butter at the resort, but we've never done it, or felt like we needed more food than we had.) Then on the way home, we can devote all of the space in that bag (formerly occupied by food) to souvenirs, if necessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom