Sounds Dangerous to operate daily until May 2011

Space Mountain

Original Poster
Steve reported this on the homepage, but indicated that it would remain open until TSM re-opens at the end of August.

I noticed. DHS usually opens Sounds Dangerous when an attraction experiences a refurbishment. Well since Star Tours is closing, I'm still shocked to see that Sounds Dangerous will remain open during that lengthy downtime, hence the reason for this topic.

David S.

I really enjoy Sounds Dangerous, as well!

So for getting the chance to do this regularly again, I also say :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Brian's law: For every attraction B that has replaced far superior attraction A, superfans of B are EXTREMELY likely never to have even heard or experienced A.

Just saying.

Oh, COME ON, MAN!

I've been going to WDW all my life and of course I've heard of and experienced the Monster Sound Show! I was there the opening season of the Studios!

Did I say I prefer one or the other? No. I simply stated that I ENJOY Sounds Dangerous. So there's no need to get all snooty!

David's Law: When you assume, you make a.... ;)

In this case my memory of the first show is getting a little hazy, but I do remember enjoying it. Frankly, I do remember liking the headphone postshow with Mickey Mouse and RJ Mc Bean as much as (if not more than) either main show!

I usually prefer the original version of an attraction the best, but not always! I prefer the current version of Snow White, Universe Of Energy, The Seas, and Gran Fiesta Tour over the originals. I even prefer Stitch's Great Escape over Alien Encounter, because it's cuter and I dislike dark and scary things! (by "dark" I mean dark, sinister, or macabre in tone or atmosphere; I do NOT mean "dark" as in the lights simply going out)

My favorite version of Imagination was the original. I didn't like the second, but I enjoy the current version because they brought back Figment and cuteness!

rodserling27

Man, it's been so long since I've done SoundsDangerous. I kinda like the thing, it's a cute little show. I dont' know why people talk about it like it ruined their childhood or anything. It's not even on the same level as ruining Imagination or losing Horizons. If I can get down to WDW in February, as I'm planning to do, I'll be happy to see SoundsDangerous again.

Dwarful

We have to do SD every trip. My youngest daughter loves that show and has for as long as I can remember. She was really disappointed that the last two trips Easter and July it was closed and she was disappointed.

BrerFrog

Sweaty seats and sweaty headphones. Oh, if only the perspiration-laden tourist sitting next to me were large enough to overlap into my personal space, I could then call this unpleasant attraction "Sweats Dangerous".

:ROFLOL:

I say we lift the hat with a helicopter and drop it on the building. That way, we can solve two problems at once.

French Quarter

I am one of those people who actually like Sounds Dangerous. It's not my favourite attraction or anything but it's something a little different and simple. It's these little diversions that I like most about WDW. That being said, Disney could certainly update it. Keep the concept but improve it.

Binaural Recording is Awesome!

Binaural recording is amazing and underused. "Stereo" audio is a far cry. I have a feeling most people going into the attraction don't really understand the technology.

See, not only do your ears work to create range and directional cues using the two separate points, your brain uses the shape of the ear and even the diffraction around your head to determine the position of sound sources. It's like polarized 3D video, but for your ears.

I've got a pair of in-ear microphones and even a dummy wig head to attach them to for when I don't want to be the center of hearing. I'm experimenting with it a bit, and have yet to combine some audio samples I made with some video I shot in Ireland.

I have a theory too. Maybe a bit of group think, but on another site I frequent, the news aggregator Fark, any time a thread comes up about 3D TVs, you'd think it was the worst thing ever from the responses. They go on about how 3D is just a fad and it'll go away, they get headaches, they don't have any "wow" factor. Presumably, it's the 5% or so that don't have working depth perception.

I wonder if there's a similar, fairly significant percentage, who's ears haven't been trained and aren't able to discern the 3D audio? And if so, can it be treated as easily as people who don't see depth perception?

Anyway, I obviously really like Sounds Dangerous. It's a really unique one, not the same old stuff, and done really well. For anyone who wants another great binaural recording, check out the virtual haircut (you must wear headphones of course! and close your eyes!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

It gives me that fuzzy brain feeling that's so rare. :)

Grizzly Hall 71

You know what's funny, everyone wants the original imagination back but they can't enjoy an attraction where you must "imagine" what is going on while you listen. Hahahaha

Sounds Dangerous is cool. Like it for what it is. It would be better if they made the entire building (ABC THEATRE AND SOUND STUDIO) back to their original form. Superstar Television and Monster Sound Show were great.

David S.

Binaural recording is amazing and underused. "Stereo" audio is a far cry. I have a feeling most people going into the attraction don't really understand the technology.

See, not only do your ears work to create range and directional cues using the two separate points, your brain uses the shape of the ear and even the diffraction around your head to determine the position of sound sources. It's like polarized 3D video, but for your ears.

I've got a pair of in-ear microphones and even a dummy wig head to attach them to for when I don't want to be the center of hearing. I'm experimenting with it a bit, and have yet to combine some audio samples I made with some video I shot in Ireland.

I have a theory too. Maybe a bit of group think, but on another site I frequent, the news aggregator Fark, any time a thread comes up about 3D TVs, you'd think it was the worst thing ever from the responses. They go on about how 3D is just a fad and it'll go away, they get headaches, they don't have any "wow" factor. Presumably, it's the 5% or so that don't have working depth perception.

I wonder if there's a similar, fairly significant percentage, who's ears haven't been trained and aren't able to discern the 3D audio? And if so, can it be treated as easily as people who don't see depth perception?

Anyway, I obviously really like Sounds Dangerous. It's a really unique one, not the same old stuff, and done really well. For anyone who wants another great binaural recording, check out the virtual haircut (you must wear headphones of course! and close your eyes!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

It gives me that fuzzy brain feeling that's so rare. :)

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Thank you for your eloquent post!

You summed up the appeal for me PERFECTLY! The audio realism is amazing! I really don't get the hate for this.

RSoxNo1

Disney has wanted to use the 3D Audio for something, but have yet to determine an appropriate usage for it.

When the LucasLand rumors cropped up I asked Jim Hill about it, and one of the concepts he mentioned involved using the 3D Audio as a backdrop for a Clone Wars based attraction (Keep in mind, this is something that is not happening - just a concept that wound up being shot down for other reasons).

The technology is cool, it's just tough to come up with an appropriate usage of it. Unfortunately, the closest thing that's worked from a story standpoint has been Alien Encounter, and that didn't use headphones like Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln or Sounds Dangerous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom