Sound Stage Tech interview and experience?

VioletRose

Original Poster
Hi there,
I am an audio engineer who really wants to work for Disneyland as a stage tech..I have always wanted to work for Disney since I was a kid but now as a young adult, I knew my calling was in audio. so here I am seeking the opportunity with Disney!
To prepare myself, I was curious if anyone remembers their interview process/questions and also for that position, do they look for someone who has a lot of experience? And do the stage techs solely work on stage or also help in foh/monitor mixing?

Before you answer that, here is a brief background on me. I graduated from an audio tech school last year, done a few audio internships, and I have been a freelance live sound stage tech for a sound company that mostly works on small concerts, I have been with them for a little over a year now. Just recently, I got a part time job being a broadcast audio engineer at a Church. I admit I do need more experience going hands on with learning FOH/Monitor mixing, but with a couple crash course training, I could get it down. Overall, I'd say I have been in the audio industry for a little over 2 years. Based on my experience, do you think I could be a good candidate when I apply?

Thanks ahead for honest answers!

VioletRose

Original Poster
I went through the recruitment process a few months ago. I haven't started yet, but I have accepted an offer at Walt Disney World as a stage tech. I cannot speak to what Disneyland would want, nor can I speak to what a specific area manager is looking for. I can say this: Your resume is critically important. To quote someone in casting, "We get thousands of applications for every stage tech opening and we read every resume. If the resume doesn't show us what we want to see quickly, it's never seen again." List your skills concisely and clearly at the top of your resume. From a technical standpoint, my recruiter and area manager were looking for basic competency in audio, video, lighting, and rigging. They also know that each person will have stronger areas than others. I was very frank in my interviews that audio was my strongest area while lighting was my weakest area.

Prepare yourself that the pay may be lower than what you might expect. I had sticker shock, personally, but this is a long term play for me and I hope to make a career out of the Walt Disney Company.
Thanks for the reply and insight!
When you start, could you maybe tell me later how your experience goes?
I really dont mind the pay, as long I have some form of income and able to move up, then thats cool with me. How was the interview process? I heard theres a few steps?

AVGuy

I had a very non-traditional recruitment and interview process. My understanding is that there are typically two interviews.

destus

Agreed about the resume.
I also had a very non-traditional recruitment/interview process. I was given a job offer at USITT this past year in Ohio - it turns out that was the first year they were allowed to actually complete the interviews and offers at the conference (I have been told everyone goes home and waits for phone interviews in the past). I spoke to a few people who aren't normally part of the stage tech hire (from what I've heard). I was asked a lot of general questions about many aspects of theatre that I worked in or live entertainment that I've done. They liked that my resume was very diverse in skills. I agree with the first reply about rigging, lighting, audio, etc. I was asked questions about each (what is this, how would you do that, have you ever this or that). I talked to three people before being given an offer and the first two were group interviews, the third being a personal one. message me if you have any questions - I start this Saturday so I'll have more insight then. Break a leg!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Question, are they IATSE? I don't think they are.

If you get the job, look into the local venues for the IATSE and work them as part time. The union is quite supportive and you can find a lot of external experience / opportunities there as well as certifications.

destus

I know that the part time folks work with IATSE but that's all I know. Still in the starting process so I am learning. I do know there is an IATSE crew down here and there are opportunities for live show stuff but that's nothing to do with disney haha

VioletRose

Original Poster
Question, are they IATSE? I don't think they are.

If you get the job, look into the local venues for the IATSE and work them as part time. The union is quite supportive and you can find a lot of external experience / opportunities there as well as certifications.
What is IATSE and how do I get in!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What is IATSE and how do I get in!
http://iatse.net/

It's the stage hands / technicians union.

Membership is easy. Find your local chapter and show up. They are always looking for people to work civic center and other events. You'll start off general labor (but a union member) and they have paths for specialization, training opportunities and advancement.

If you have further questions, let me know (though, my membership lapsed nearly a decade ago...but...it was a great experience).

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
WDW Technicians, Costuming, and Cosmetology are all apart of IATSE. Membership is voluntary, but can be linked directly to your paycheck.
Good to know, but not a closed shop, I suppose.

Well worth it to me. I had some great experiences with IATSE.

VioletRose

Original Poster

Membership is easy. Find your local chapter and show up. They are always looking for people to work civic center and other events. You'll start off general labor (but a union member) and they have paths for specialization, training opportunities and advancement.

If you have further questions, let me know (though, my membership lapsed nearly a decade ago...but...it was a great experience).

oh wow I didnt know that. Thats awesome, I am definitely looking into this. Not sure what Local Chapter means but I will research on it haha thanks

VioletRose

Original Poster

Hi there, I went on the website and looked for a chapter in Anaheim location. They didn't have an address except for their P.O Box. So I sent them an email asking if there are opportunities and pretty much used you as a reference that I was told I could be a member just by volunteering. I have not gotten a response and I feel they won't respond =/

If I come across a legit address location, I just show up and ask for what exactly? And should I maybe take a resume or..?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hi there, I went on the website and looked for a chapter in Anaheim location. They didn't have an address except for their P.O Box. So I sent them an email asking if there are opportunities and pretty much used you as a reference that I was told I could be a member just by volunteering. I have not gotten a response and I feel they won't respond =/

If I come across a legit address location, I just show up and ask for what exactly? And should I maybe take a resume or..?
No, not volunteering. You pay dues. But, the dues can be taken out of your paycheck. A better way to tackle it is to write a letter saying you are interested in stage hand work and information about the union, and you are willing to do any sort of work that is available to gain experience, and include your resume of shows/events you have worked on before.

VioletRose

Original Poster
No, not volunteering. You pay dues. But, the dues can be taken out of your paycheck. A better way to tackle it is to write a letter saying you are interested in stage hand work and information about the union, and you are willing to do any sort of work that is available to gain experience, and include your resume of shows/events you have worked on before.
I see, no wonder they did not respond to me haha..Ok I will try again. Thanks!

Szaszman

Hi yall,
Sorry to bring a old thread back to life but had a question in which i am a litrle worried about. I had my interview today and did really well with all the questions accept for one which i just had nervous moment and could not remeber for the life of me. What is the chance I compleletly botched my interview based on missing the one question.

AVGuy

Hi yall,
Sorry to bring a old thread back to life but had a question in which i am a litrle worried about. I had my interview today and did really well with all the questions accept for one which i just had nervous moment and could not remeber for the life of me. What is the chance I compleletly botched my interview based on missing the one question.
Obviously, no one here would have any idea but what was the nature of the question?

Szaszman

Ohms law i know it and how it relates to resitance i just coulndt remeber the formula for itit was asked during the technical questions in the interview

AVGuy

I wouldn't worry about that. Again, I wouldn't know exactly what they were looking for in your interview but that question alone would probably not disqualify you. If you're not selected, it is likely for other reasons. Good luck. I know the process is stressful.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Ohms law i know it and how it relates to resitance i just coulndt remeber the formula for itit was asked during the technical questions in the interview
As an ex-IATSE who has done sound and stage work for national tours, I wouldn't worry much about it either. It's a gotcha placement question, most likely.

If the rest of your interview went well, you should be fine. Don't sweat it so much. However, it does mean you should bone up on it a bit more!

That said, good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom