something needs to be done re: flash photography

primusjim

Original Poster
Seriously, it's getting way out of hand. It blows my mind that people care so little about spoiling attractions for the other riders that they just flash away. It's worst on Pirates and has been for awhile.
The wife and I went to mk on saturday, epcot on sunday and saw flashes on nearly every attraction. On SSE, people in the car in front of us turned around and took pictures of the people in the front seat of our car, the pictures of themselves riding, and then amazingly, flash pictures of the PROJECTED image of earth at the top.
On mansion, motion stopped at the ballroom scene and gentleman in the doombuggy next to us repeatedly attempted a flash photograph. He appeared completely unable to understand why using a flash on a giant piece of glass wasn't yielding better results.
Any thoughts on how to improve this situation? I recommended an IQ test before people could carry in a camera, but my wife said the security checkpoints already make entering the park take too long.

DivineMadness7

There is unfortunately no way to stop this. It upset me at first but I just try to let it go now. It upsets me much more than it will even cross their minds.

This phenomenon is not unique to WDW. While touring France with my college's art department, we saw this in so many museums, churches, etc. In that case it is not only a distraction, it can actually damage artifacts and oil paintings. But that's another rant for another audience...:lookaroun

I don't think Disney will ever do anything about this. While I have seen this, it has been rare for the most part, maybe a few times on each trip. The time you spend thinking about it, is just time you aren't enjoying the ride. It's more time consuming than the flash itself. I understand what a huge pain this is, but trust me when I say that these fools aren't even aware of what they are doing, in many more ways than one.

EPCOT.nut

I get stressed out on POTC because I work myself up about the flash photography. I wish they would take Capt Jack out so people will stop it already! :lol:

I also had a guy in the row in front of me on POTC turn around and take a pic with the flash in my face. I told him that it was very rude - and he stopped until the last scene - but it got my bloodpressure up.

:(

bayoutinkbelle

I know. This is a pet peeve of mine, and I've found it particularly bad on Pirates. I was blinded by someone's flash on my last ride, and I thanked the guy for making it impossible for me to see anything else on that ride.

I love to take photos, but would never think of using my flash on any of the attractions. I'm really going to try to ignore the inconsiderate actions of these people on my upcoming trip and just enjoy myself. Let's see if I can do it! :D

I_believe

My family and I just came back from the world, and we took tons of pictures, and yes we did so on the rides. Before you yell at me, we turned off our flashes while on the rides. Unfortunately you can't teach common sense to the general public. My DH did get yelled at at SGE by a very rude cast member who threatened to take his camera away. The flash was not on and in fact my husband was just looking through the viewfinder, but due to the castmember shouting at him, my DH took a picture anyways, and I got his name and reported him to Customer Relations. Castmembers are not supposed to scream at guests, or is this some new policy?Anyways, we had a great time, and have wonderful pictures, even if they are slightly darker than we would like.:animwink:

CThaddeus

Perhaps we should all do something similar to the ballroom scene in Haunted Mansion. From now on, everyone should carry either a reflective piece of plastic, or go all out and carry a mirror with them. Then when Jethro goes to take his next flash photo, quickly hold the plastic or mirror up in front of his camera. Just remember to hide it before he puts the camera down, though. No need getting pummeled for teaching a dolt a lesson.

Fun2BFree

The people in front of us in Pirates were taking non-stop flash pictures of everything. One of the loading dock, the side of the dock, some water up there, a barrel they saw, a whole bunch of insignificant things. Me? I blame digital cameras. While they are undoubtedly helpful, there was definitely less flash photography when you paid for film and could only take finite shots, especially if you knew certain shots wouldn't come out well.

:fork: i CAN'T STAND IT!! It triggers severe migraines that make it difficult to see or walk. I end up covering my eyes for most of the ride, it drives me crazy :mad:

Last year, me and my fiance were stuck behind a couple who insisted on taking photos throughout the whole of Pirates. This was the first year my fiance has been, but she'd been on Pirates before so at least it wasn't totally ruined.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Wow this upsets me more than anything else...when I was in DL this year on pirates one night there was some people behind us that just kept flashing away. The people in front of them turned and reminded them to not use flash photography. But it got to the point where almost everyone on the boat was making comments about them. They would litterally take one every 20-30 seconds. I finally told them, look you need to stop ruining this attraction for me and all of the other people and you need to stop right now.

Laura

Premium Member
Ever since consumer digital cameras came around suddenly EVERYONE thinks they are a photographer. I remember a decade ago when I was the only one I knew who carried a (film) camera everywhere, including school, and people thought I was nuts.

It seems that when technology comes along, etiquette goes out the window. Cell phones and digital cameras being used at inappropriate times boils my blood.

sublimesting

I get stressed out on POTC because I work myself up about the flash photography. I wish they would take Capt Jack out so people will stop it already! :lol:

I also had a guy in the row in front of me on POTC turn around and take a pic with the flash in my face. I told him that it was very rude - and he stopped until the last scene - but it got my bloodpressure up.

:(

I so agree with you. I kind of dread riding POTC because I know I will be angry throughout. Is it even worth telling people to stop? I feel angry letting them get away with it, but I feel EVEN ANGRIER if I tell them to stop and they don't. So it's a toss up, be mad, or take a gamble and get it to stop OR be even madder...what to do:shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is unfortunately no way to stop this. It upset me at first but I just try to let it go now. It upsets me much more than it will even cross their minds.

This phenomenon is not unique to WDW. While touring France with my college's art department, we saw this in so many museums, churches, etc. In that case it is not only a distraction, it can actually damage artifacts and oil paintings. But that's another rant for another audience...:lookaroun

I don't think Disney will ever do anything about this. While I have seen this, it has been rare for the most part, maybe a few times on each trip. The time you spend thinking about it, is just time you aren't enjoying the ride. It's more time consuming than the flash itself. I understand what a huge pain this is, but trust me when I say that these fools aren't even aware of what they are doing, in many more ways than one.
Actually there is a way to stop it.....

Paintballcopy.jpg

krankenstein

This is one thing that seems to bother a lot of people, but never has been a big issue to me. Occasionally it will sort of annoy me (HM and SE comes to mind), but overall I could careless. :shrug:

benzgraveyard

Anyone who uses flash photography on a ride after specifically being told not to should receive a thorough beating. I hope people who do this are reading this thread.

How can you be so inconsiderate?

Or are you just really stupid?

dazzer68

i think its down to disney to stop it.
just a clear sign and speil should do it.
i was asked to put my camera away on potc over the tannoy system, even though i was in night vision with no flash.
i think people just doent realise what rides you can and cant photograph.
so if disney could put up clearer signs, theres no excuse

Conrad3000

I would say that a lot more signage, like before you even enter the park and at every ride. It could be clearly posted in the map, like they do with fast pass. And after all, every ride has some kind of video. They should have the actors instruct us that way as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom