News Soarin' Over California returning to EPCOT for a limited time

Kittlesona

I think they should just have one theater be California permanently, the other be Around the World, and the third can be management's choice. It can easily be advertised/themed like you're in an airport and you go to the gate matching your destination.
Didn’t we hear they couldn’t do this because of how the smell machines are run? I agree this would be ideal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The queue setup would be a problem. They don’t have the room for a Mission: Space setup and even that confuses people. Also, California doesn’t really belong. World is much more Epcot. It just needs better visuals.
Why would a queue famous for being way too wide be an issue for separate lines?

My hot take: Both versions of the ride need to be updated.

The old Cali one has Golden Gate bendy issues and the problems of a camera not giving a really sharp focus. Not to mention the nauseating sped up parts. Also: Hey, kids... GOLF!!

The newer World one has the famous bendy issue of the Eiffel Tower. It also makes weird choices like the Taj Mahal... not exactly one of the seven natural or human-made marvels of the world.

They both have parts where the camera isn't fully synced with forward motion, which is slightly dizzying.

Also, the ride is in The Land... so, do you feature famous natural landmarks, or human constructed landmarks? Let's smash both together!!

Actually, given the state of AI, a lot of these issues can be fixed for both. But that's a lot of resources for some tweaks, and won't drive in more guests. New films would.

ToTBellHop

Why would a queue famous for being way too wide be an issue for separate lines?

My hot take: Both versions of the ride need to be updated.

The old Cali one has Golden Gate bendy issues and the problems of a camera not giving a really sharp focus. Not to mention the nauseating sped up parts. Also: Hey, kids... GOLF!!

The newer World one has the famous bendy issue of the Eiffel Tower. It also makes weird choices like the Taj Mahal... not exactly one of the seven natural or human-made marvels of the world.

They both have parts where the camera isn't fully synced with forward motion, which is slightly dizzying.

Also, the ride is in The Land... so, do you feature famous natural landmarks, or human constructed landmarks? Let's smash both together!!

Actually, given the state of AI, a lot of these issues can be fixed for both. But that's a lot of resources for some tweaks, and won't drive in more guests. New films would.
I think FOUR queues in that hallway would be extremely uncomfortable. More claustrophobia-inducing than the small world pandemic queue.

el_super

I am certainly biased here, but I actually think Soarin' over California does a better job of communicating the concept of "The Land" ... featuring the deserts, mountains, fertile valleys and coast lines of California and only casually touching on how humans have adopted and used those spaces.

Mark Dunne

How hard can it be for a crew to film 4k landmark movie, honestly i can see Walt himself sitting in for the big show premier of around the world, turning round to the imaginers, and saying ''start again cos this isn't working'' in fact i don't think he would be that polite , its an abomination how they let this get through to the audience without any thought of Eiffel tower, computer generated taj mahal looking so bad in sections A & C.

Andrew25

California film has run its course (even if its the better "film" the quality is not great for modern standards).
Around the World suits Epcot far more, but has very awkward and annoying scenes.

Now that the rest of Epcot has been beefed up, and Soarin is no longer carrying the park, it needs to draw back guests through "Star Tours-esque" randomized sequences to increase ridership. Pretty much becomes a ghost town during the last 2-3 hours of park ops.

Mark Dunne

California film has run its course (even if its the better "film" the quality is not great for modern standards).
Around the World suits Epcot far more, but has very awkward and annoying scenes.

Now that the rest of Epcot has been beefed up, and Soarin is no longer carrying the park, it needs to draw back guests through "Star Tours-esque" randomized sequences to increase ridership. Pretty much becomes a ghost town during the last 2-3 hours of park ops.
Well we’ve just come back with queue times 60 mins , still an attraction people want to experience.

Chip Chipperson

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the scents make the randomization of scenes impossible. I do agree that the "Over California" film looks dated, having seen it last week. I'd like a whole new film that utilizes the transitions of "Around the World" with some of the CA scenes (like the orange groves). Make it fit both the Land Pavillion AND Epcot in general - eliminate the terrible Eifel Tower scene since it can't work on a curved screen. Keep the elephants and other nature scenes from "Around the World" but add back some of the CA nature scenes (and maybe even a new scene or 2 from elsewhere in the US) and finish at Epcot.

Mark Dunne

To be fair, most folks don't know which version is playing... they just know it's "Soarin" and that it's a must-do no matter what film is playing.
All the time they show literally no love for imagination pavilion , soarin will be a must do . As that side of the park is pretty weak now, real shame actually, to think imagination pavilion used to be A grade , no it’s c- 😔, thanks for reply 👍

aladdin2007

All the time they show literally no love for imagination pavilion , soarin will be a must do . As that side of the park is pretty weak now, real shame actually, to think imagination pavilion used to be A grade , no it’s c- 😔, thanks for reply 👍
its a D to an F at this point, very bad shape today and the whole pavilion is so outdated and in bad shape.

DisneyCane

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the scents make the randomization of scenes impossible. I do agree that the "Over California" film looks dated, having seen it last week. I'd like a whole new film that utilizes the transitions of "Around the World" with some of the CA scenes (like the orange groves). Make it fit both the Land Pavillion AND Epcot in general - eliminate the terrible Eifel Tower scene since it can't work on a curved screen. Keep the elephants and other nature scenes from "Around the World" but add back some of the CA nature scenes (and maybe even a new scene or 2 from elsewhere in the US) and finish at Epcot.
I'd say to re-shoot the CA version and incorporate some better transitions (but still have it match the original score) except I wouldn't be surprised if some of the non-developed scenery is no housing developments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom