Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

dstrawn9889

so more or less will look like this when complete
soarin%20three%20theatre_zpsdgdpbmhz.png

note2001

so more or less will look like this when complete
soarin%20three%20theatre_zpsdgdpbmhz.png

I'm sure over time attendance at EPCOT will be increasing, so why not add 2 theaters for a total of 4? Looks like about the same amount of work as adding just one. Or are they taking a page out of the highway department's book and simply increasing to handle current capacity, not thinking about the future.

vinnya1726

I'm sure over time attendance at EPCOT will be increasing, so why not add 2 theaters for a total of 4? Looks like about the same amount of work as adding just one. Or are they taking a page out of the highway department's book and simply increasing to handle current capacity, not thinking about the future.

That is an excellent point! They could build 4 and maybe run 2 different films.

RSoxNo1

This is how I imagine it...
Currently as you get to the end of the queue of Soarin, you go either to the right or the left to enter the two theaters. All they really have to do is build right behind the present building and attach straight on from the queue line. In other words, when you get to the boarding assignment portion of the queue you will then be directed to the right or the left (like always) and with the new theater straight ahead. I know that sounds way to simple, but, I think that is what is going to happen. Again, for all that care, that is not inside information that is an opinionated guess. I haven't really seen a blueprint of the floor plan of even the current Soarin set-up, just going my memory. Maybe @marni1971 has that at his disposal and would be willing to share.
That is also what I assume will happen.

RSoxNo1

Thing is, I don't recall the lines for Soarin being huge even in the bad days of DCA when the ride capacity (and park attendance) was terrible and it was one of the only attractions worth going to. Heck, I even went on Superstar Limo. I find it hard to compare capacity between DL and WDW simply because with the way DLR is setup, you can treat it as one big park and it is a different kind of customer. It takes about the same amount of time to walk from the back of DL's MK to the back of DCA (if you aren't slowed down at the ticket gate). I think that compactness also helps to hold down the queue size at DCA. So, yes, it may not be the go to attraction there. But, as far as park capacity, I wouldn't say that DCA beats Epcot, let alone adding DHS and AK. Most of it's capacity is sitting in line at Cars Land. ;)

I'm not here to bash DCA because I love it as my fourth favorite park. It beats the heck out of Epcot on thrill rides. But, it is a bit of a mess theme wise (like DHS). I prefer the DL experience right now but it has nothing to do with capacity as much as it has to do with superior show quality. I can go in Epcot and have a full day and never ride a ride, though. WDW will never be the e-ticket capital. The parks do need more attractions. And Tomorrowland needs a revamp at both DL and WDW. DCA has more attractions but Epcot has more capacity and higher attendance. Adding new rides isn't going to just magic away the Soarin lines in Epcot. It would help if they stopped replacing attractions that held people a long time with shorter attractions that serve the same capacity level. Every time they have tried to E-Ticket something in Epcot, the attraction goes from about 20 minutes time to 5 minutes.
After Tower of Terror opened, DCA had a better attraction lineup than Epcot or DHS.

HauntedMansionFLA

Th
That was one of the rumors around - wait and see

Tom

Beta Return
I have that thought too of going straight ahead, but how do you do that with all those mechanics or whatever is built out on that side of the building? Unless I misunderstood you.
View attachment 85634

I concur. That's a major mechanical room. I don't think there's any going through it. And if they move it, the entire building will be down for a long while.

I predict the queue will split before the show building somehow.

doctornick

So reading this update verbatim, they are adding another theater (half the current building) and are not adding a second building (two more theaters)?

All signs -- including the official press release -- indicate they are only adding one more theater, for a total of 3.

DisneyCane

About the same amount of work? If they add 2 instead of 1 it will be DOUBLE the material, labor and equipment. It will cost a little less than 2x due to the efficiency of doing 2 at once but certainly nothing close to "about the same" as adding one.

If they think that adding 1 is sufficient now, I don't think Epcot's attendance will increase by 33% anytime soon to require another one. Hopefully, other attractions will be added and/or current attractions improved so that there is something else to do besides ride Soarin'.

Rasvar

I concur. That's a major mechanical room. I don't think there's any going through it. And if they move it, the entire building will be down for a long while.

I predict the queue will split before the show building somehow.
I don't see any reason why they can't build a ramp over the mechanical equipment.

Rasvar

Soarin' Over California saw 2+ hour waits during DCA's first few years.
Most of my visits were during weekday late mornings and I never saw it more than 45 minutes. I also went out of season. So I'm sure it was busier in more prime times.

Rasvar

After Tower of Terror opened, DCA had a better attraction lineup than Epcot or DHS.
I'll have to disagree a bit. Better than DHS after Tower. Cars Land has it slightly better than Epcot now. I think Epcot in its prime was still better. Epcot has regressed since opening in my opinion.

hokielutz

Has anyone explained why it is so difficult to clean the projection apparatus and/or film to get rid of the dirt marks that show up on every ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom