Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Better than the original ?
Not by me. Nor by any other reviews I've read.

I saw it 10x in September. We used FP, or Stand-by of 5-15 minutes. I would never have waited 45-60 minutes for it, as I gleefully did for the original.

Soarin' Around the World is good. Really good, even.

Soarin' Over California was wonderful. *sigh*

Ralphlaw

The old version had the curve issue too. You are remembering it wrong or never scrutinized it as hard as the new one.

For us, the curve was really noticeable on the Eifel Tower scene. Overall, the new version has tall, thin features that really exaggerate the curve when looked at from the side. The old version, not so much. Everything seemed more horizontal, and thus not as curvy in the old version.

danv3

I think the next version should be Soarin' over America, since there wasn't much of it in Soarin' around the World. There certainly are plenty of great places to film outside of California.

If we were starting from scratch, I'd say the Soarin' in EPCOT should cover the whole world, but it should be limited to natural wonders as befitting The Land.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Around the World is OK. But it would be amazing if the CG aspects were tamed. So many fake animals, hokey scene transitions and drawn buildings. CG is overused in this version. (exception being transition through clouds) It's reliance on CG makes the entire attraction seem less genuine or authentic.

Scary thought: CGI opens the door for even more add-ins in the form of IPs.

Remove the Taj Mahal, hang gliders, fix or remove animals, stick to a basic fade whips (yes Hard cuts are bad but these transition effects are surprisingly more jarring) and you'll have a much better attraction, IMHO. That and maybe adding haze/fog machines for additional layer between yourself and the screen. And to enhance transitions with bursts of air.

Last edited:

lifeguard1020

It may be an awkward thought, but having all those transitions seems like it has a bit of a negative on the film. Each one takes between 1-2 seconds (from what I remember). If they had just used hard cuts, they may have been able to fit an entire extra scene into the film in the same ride time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom