Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The orange scent is definitely an iconic part of the SOC experience.

I'd settle for orange scent in the queue... maybe with a well written/memorable song playing in the queue... I'm thinking something that starts with the lyrics "If we can dream it, than we can do it, yes we can [yes, we can]"... and while you're at it, change the ride system...maybe something that lets you chose your own ending (sigh, I enjoy much of "new" EPCOT but I frequently long for some of "old" EPCOT...and any time Disney uses orange scent on a ride, I will always have memories/flashbacks of Horizon).

Back on topic, regarding IMAX Laser projection, they use two 4K projectors, but they are not 100% aligned. They are offset by fractions of a millimeter.. not enough to be noticeable by eye, but the offset makes it almost impossible to distinguish individual pixels making the image appear to be even sharper than 4K while creating additional depth. The image clarity will be unlike anything you've ever seen (unless you'v be en to an IMAX theater with laser projection).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
"The next day on June 17, guests at Disney California Adventure park at the Disneyland Resort and Epcot at Walt Disney World Resort will be able to board the exhilarating aerial adventure that immerses you in a multi-sensory experience, complete with stunning sights, spectacular sounds and even subtle scents."

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...rld-takes-flight-at-disney-parks-this-summer/

Too bad it doesn't say "beginning Memorial Day weekend experience the original attraction one last time before converting to the new movie!"

flynnibus

Premium Member
This technological marvel would be as opposed to the nearly impossible threading of the other film in the projector and switching the soundtrack and motion control metadata between films. Nobody ever achieved that except the 100+ IMAX film theatres that did it for 40 years.

IMAX film change outs are a big deal.. because they look like this
regina-sk-november-5-2015-trevor-ewen-chief-projec.jpeg

Swapping, rethreading, and rewinding in intervals for a continuous use theater like Soarin' would be impractical if not impossible at the current intervals.

The only real advantage to going digital is getting rid of the dust issue (which I still don't understand why they had when normal IMAX film theatres didn't). If they would have gone with laser projectors, you'd get better brightness and color gamut as well. As far as I've seen they are just using the normal IMAX 4K Xenon lamp projectors.

AFAIK - their 4k system is only with the current laser setup rolling out around the world. The Digital IMAX that preceded it was only the 2k lie-MAX setups.

Goofyernmost

Will there even be scents for this new film? Has there been confirmation of that? It's totally possible they'll cheap out a bit and drop the scents. It would be a bad choice because, for the relatively low cost, it does greatly enhance the ride. But I haven't read or seen anything to confirm scents. If I missed that, please let me know.

Also, does anyone have any solid idea if the queue is changing?

Scents are confirmed.
My bet is that according to the usual suspects on the board all of them will stink.

KingOfEpicocity

IMAX film change outs are a big deal.. because they look like this
regina-sk-november-5-2015-trevor-ewen-chief-projec.jpeg

Swapping, rethreading, and rewinding in intervals for a continuous use theater like Soarin' would be impractical if not impossible at the current intervals.

AFAIK - their 4k system is only with the current laser setup rolling out around the world. The Digital IMAX that preceded it was only the 2k lie-MAX setups.

i still love the look of Film more. Is it true film has like an 8k resolution?

flynnibus

Premium Member
i still love the look of Film more. Is it true film has like an 8k resolution?

The true effective resolution is a point of debate... But I've seen references saying 70mm imax is more than 12k

The great thing about film is how well it can be enlarged without artifacts. But the older issues like contrast, blacks, artifacts and resolution have come so far for digital. The current I max 4K laser system truly is impressive in every aspect. I imagine the new film is going to look pretty insane.

Mike S

The true effective resolution is a point of debate... But I've seen references saying 70mm imax is more than 12k

The great thing about film is how well it can be enlarged without artifacts. But the older issues like contrast, blacks, artifacts and resolution have come so far for digital. The current I max 4K laser system truly is impressive in every aspect. I imagine the new film is going to look pretty insane.
I saw The Force Awakens in 70mm :inlove:

Rob562

IMAX film is a 70mm format.

Unless the only "Imax" they're used to is the lower-resolution "Lie-Max" IMAX Digital they like to put into existing theaters and slap an IMAX label on... I had friends who had only ever known the lower resolution Imax, and were very surprised when they finally saw a true IMAX film-based feature film. (We have a Laser IMAX theater about 40 minutes from my house, haven't had a chance to go see a show there yet)

-Rob

DisneyJunkie

Love the fact that they'll be going to different scenes around the world, but do NOT like that they're also redoing the score for the ride. They should have left well enough alone.

*Q*

I kind of assume his pre-show and voiceover will remain since none of it makes any explicit reference to California.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom