So your kids wants to be an imagineer

wiigirl

I say start studying....:p
75.gif

wilkeliza

So what do you do when you kids says they want to be an imagineer when they grow up?

Encourage them and ask them what part of imagineering? Get them into art and architecture. Start them on the path towards an engineering degree or an arts design degree. Both of them can lead to be an imagineer one is the technical know how and the other is the design aspect. Also robotics really helps out. It all sounds really dorky but getting into it now can make the path easier for them in the long run.

hiptwinmama

Original Poster
I have a highly gifted (as well as artistically gifted) 7 year old who dreams of becoming an imagineer. She already understands that she will have to study math and learn about engineering . She has to be an artist and a little bit engineer. It will take her a many years of planning and keeping her eye on the prize throughout her education. Concept art and show design are what she wants to do. She has told me the same thing since she turned 4, I want to be an imagineer. I don't think this is a fly by night dream, since we are a big Disney family.

I show her stuff like this and we talk about all the different kinds of imagineers there are.
http://www./2011/03/interview-answering-how-do-i-become-an-imagineer-with-disney-artist-don-carson/

wilkeliza

I have a highly gifted (as well as artistically gifted) 7 year old who dreams of becoming an imagineer. She already understands that she will have to study math and learn about engineering . She has to be an artist and a little bit engineer. It will take her a many years of planning and keeping her eye on the prize throughout her education. Concept art and show design are what she wants to do. She has told me the same thing since she turned 4, I want to be an imagineer. I don't think this is a fly by night dream, since we are a big Disney family.

I show her stuff like this and we talk about all the different kinds of imagineers there are.
http://www./2011/03/interview-answering-how-do-i-become-an-imagineer-with-disney-artist-don-carson/

If you are a big Disney family and are in the parks often it might be worth getting ahold of an imagineers email address and just sending them a polite email asking if she could meet them next time you are in town on vacation.

Also look into a few of the Disney Education programs. I know there is something coming up soon (or perhaps just passed) that is an annual event that is all about encouraging future imagineers. It is like a weekend of engineering and robotics at the parks sponsored by WDI.

Also for concept art and show design it is definitely more about the art skills. Start encouraging her to make up rides and draw now. Children can learn very early how to perceive things as an artist and 7 is a great time to get her into art classes so that she has lots of time to work and get better. I am a recent college graduate inspiring to do the same thing and so far what I have done is gotten into the Disney College Program and started meeting people in different departments and emailing them for meetings and such. I also have been taking my sketch book with me everywhere now trying to capture ideas and atmospheres.

Engineering can be taught but creativity and design capabilities are something we are born with so I would say focus on the artistic abilities and keeping the creative mind going and worry about the technical no how later. As long as she is good in math and science the tech know how can come pretty easy. All to often we loose our since of dreaming and making and once that's lost you can't get it back so just encourage her to create.

Also buy legos and Erector Sets. Let her build to her hearts content and even stash the instructions and let it be a free for all. You wouldn't believe how many people at WDW have those two kids toys and use them on a daily basis in pre-design and model making and such.

copcarguyp71

Send one to engineering/architecture school and another to medical school...push them both into imagineering and in 25 years we might have a Wonders of Life pavilion again :p

hiptwinmama

Original Poster
Thanks... those are some great ideas.

My daughter and her sketch pad are attached when she is not at school. She is very detail oriented, much more so than her peers. She is already telling me new ideas for fantasyland and DHS, and very detailed. She is getting legos and a roller coaster building kit for x-mas, so it sounds like I am on the right track.

Thanks again for the advice.

hiptwinmama

Original Poster
Send one to engineering/architecture school and another to medical school...push them both into imagineering and in 25 years we might have a Wonders of Life pavilion again :p

That's perfect since she is a twin....LOL, but her sister wants to be a pro-golfer

lazyboy97o

Take her to other parks and attractions in themed ntertainment besides Disney. She is going to need an appreciation for the industry as a whole to succeed. Knowing all about Disney may be impressive to fans, but it is not a big piece of getting a job. The reality is that more and more gets outsourced to other design firms and for years people have been waiting for Walt Disney Imagineering to switch to a Universal Creative-type model. There is a good chance that there will be even fewer official Imagineers by the time she is finished with school, but there will be plenty of companies doing the same sort of work as done by Imagineering and they'll be doing it for Disney, Uniersal, SeaWorld and many others.

WED99

Also look into a few of the Disney Education programs. I know there is something coming up soon (or perhaps just passed) that is an annual event that is all about encouraging future imagineers. It is like a weekend of engineering and robotics at the parks sponsored by WDI.
name please?

mewhunter67

name please?
I usually don't get in on these, but this has been one of the better set up and replied to threads on this, and it's nice to see actual information presented and inquired on.

Anyway, the reason I jumped in is about the week; if I suspect correctly, it's E-week, or Engineering Week, and it's actually world (or at least nationally) recognized. It'll be celebrated February 17-23 in 2013. (For more info from the org. that sponsors it, here: http://eweek.org/Home.aspx). It's a pretty big deal for engineers; well, at least at my school, it was a week long celebration.

Disney (here at WDW) has many events that go on during the week, it just depends on the year. A couple of years ago, Bill Nye came out and did experiments; it was pretty big. I hope that sheds some light, but I hope I haven't forgotten something else.

As for other ways to introduce her:

-find as many books as you can, there are so many out there. Disney has put out many of their own;
(list of them through amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=disney imagineeringThere are also many other folks in the field, not imagineers, that have put out many other books on what they follow or processes they use. I wish I could think of some currently, I'm sorry.

-There are a quite a few DVDs and specials out there that have been made, by Disney or otherwise, on the the work that has gone into many of the attractions. So much can be learned from the stories of how things came to be, design challenges, etc. I've personally amassed a large collection of stuff that ranges from a special on Everest, to the Modern Marvels:WDW.
(amazon on movies)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=movies-tv&field-keywords=imagineer&rh=n:2625373011,k:imagineer&ajr=0

Also, I'm not sure your daughters age *I just reread and noticed you said she was 7, sorry* (for this, she must be 10; most of the 'spoil the magic' events tend to be that way), but if you guys come often to WDW, there's a special dining event at the Brown Derby called Dining with an Imagineer, and in a small group, you have a 4 course meal (excellent, by the way) while stealing some time with an Imagineer. They talk to you about a wide range of anything (on my visit, I met not only Jason Grandt, but his mother as well, and that made for different talk than you'll most likely get) and you get to enjoy their company.

Something I wanted to add: Lazyboy has a good point; there has to be an appreciation of the industry as a whole. WDI has been growing of late, but who knows how the landscape will be when your daughter gets to that point. It helps to realize that there isn't always a direct path (especially so, in this case), but you may find yourself going in various directions.
After graduation, I realized it would be hard going to directly get in (been trying for about 5 years already :D), and I looked for smaller, contractual companies that are hired by the bigger guys, so you can still learn the how the industry works and functions. Sometimes, you can find the smaller companies can be a better taste. I'm currently working with a former imagineer-turned-contractor in a small firm, trying to teach myself to the way it runs. However, don't take any of my talk as nay-saying or doubting, more as advice to navigate the waters :)

Anyway, I got more into this than I'd planned, so I should retire from my wall of text. Good luck to your daughter, and to you as well. I rarely see any child serious about this; I've met only one before, and it threw me off. I usually get 'master builder', or 'designer' where I work. It puts a smile on my face.

mewhunter67

Something I wanted to add, but it felt I put too much in my last post (plus, I can't keep my mouth shut):

I find the books to be great resources (but meeting people is excellent as well). Certain ones are my favorites:

The Imagineering series; two massive books that WDI has created that pretty much just gives you a deep, ranging look into everything they do. They act as a pair, one is sort of a sequel to the other, and adds to what they forgot or needed to add to the first (plus, it's about 15 years newer, so more recent work).

Imagineering Legends; a word heavy book, but it talks about the first generation of Imagineers and then some, and talks about their backgrounds, specialties, and how they contributed and shaped the first park. It's a good way to see how each discipline adds to the story, as well as the many ways to get in.

Designing Disney; written by Walt's Double, John Hench. Man, if you want a look into an artistic, designing mind, this just scratches the surface. It was written by him (before his death), and the current edition has been updated by another Imagineer, and covers so much of what John Hench felt important to design. There's a whole section on just color study, and gave me a whole new appreciation on how such subtle changes can make a difference.

Some smaller others:
The Imagineering Workout/Way: two small books written as compilations from various imagineers on ways they exercise their creative thinking, and how they view and practice WDI processes (respectively)

The Imagineering Field Guide series: 5 small books that give a quickie look at all the major US parks (not one for CA yet), looking into design, story, concept, and background of much of the parks. Mine are heavily post-it noted and scribbled in.

And lastly, since I'm a coaster-junkie, the Disney Mountains is a book by Jason Surrell, that covers the development and background of each of the 5 major mountains in the Disney parks (Splash, Thunder, Space, Matterhorn, Everest). It's a pretty good read on what goes into a major E-ticket attraction.

Hopefully that gives some help on particular reads. Now i'll go back and hide in my hole under the CoP...
o_O

wedenterprises

While it's an obvious asset to know as much about the Disney Parks as possible, encourage her to be curious about everything. This includes new technology, movies, history, travel, museums, world cultures and other theme parks outside of Disney.

Don't put Imagineering on a pedestal. There are some amazing design firms out there (in LA and FL especially) that do all sorts of fun design for theme parks, museums and other attractions around the world. This is where all that non-Disney stuff comes into play. You may design something in China, so, hope you like Chinese food and flying.

Study whatever you want at school. You can be anything from an audio technician to an architect. Just be good at it and most importantly LOVE it. Be awesome at it. Don't get sucked into the "jack of all trades" thing. It's an asset to have a wide range of skills, but don't try to be an artist AND an engineer AND a 3D artist AND this and that. Do one thing, understand the rest.

Disney HR is a black hole. When you send your resume to DisneyCareers it goes into a black hole. Get to know someone on the inside, if you can.

Enter the WDI ImagiNations contest and don't worry about making finals or winning. Just entering a resume has given many people internships, interviews, careers etc.

Try to go to Carnagie Mellon's Entertainment Design program, or a school in LA like CalArts or Fullerton, etc.

But the most important thing to becoming an Imagineer if you're having a hard time getting in to WDI: Move to LA. Period. Work for another design company first if you have to. But MOVE TO LA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom