So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 14: Greatest Hits (Official Hub Thread)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Team Mist - Fantastic proposal, and a game-changer when it comes to presentation! Much like the last project from this team it was an innovative concept when it comes to presenting something, but has a few holes to work out. First and foremost, while I absolutely respect the fact that you were able to keep the poem motif going throughout the whole proposal, I think it would have helped the project flow better and be easier to read if you transitioned into a more traditional writing style after the reveal of Disney releasing the Hobbit soundtrack (a moment reading the project in...I kid you not...I gave a standing ovation to while reading it ;) )

I feel like the way the main attraction was written made it more difficult than it needed to be to actually visualize what was going on. Don't get me wrong, it's all there and I admire the effort...it just makes the effects, scene transitions and what not harder for me to picture in my mind. It's a personal choice thing and by no means meant to dissuade this kind of presentation style in the future.

Creativity: 9.5/10 Excellent "alternate history" narrative and a game-changing presentation style!
Realism: 7.5/10 It all sounds fine, but some of the transitions don't work too well because of the poem motif.
Detail: 8/10 I'm impressed by how committed everyone was to the motif, but like I said in certain parts it made this more difficult to visualize.
Presentation: 9/10 Much kudos alone just for sticking to landing on the poem, regarding of how it personally affected some of the other elements of the project.
Group Work: 10/10 Very impressed with how everyone came together to tackle arguably the most difficult prompt of the season thus far.
Total: 44/50

Team Younger - Another fantastical proposal that once again echoes last project by sticking closer to traditional theme park roots and using a very well established technology. Dare I say this is another high watermark for Basketbuddy's concept art. Simply jaw-dropping. With this kind of conceptualization, it's actually kind of amazing you're NOT in Imagineering by now ;) The realism on this project was through the roof and might be one of the most realistic while at the same time stunning presentations I've ever seen in the game. Props also to making it a stand-alone story in the mythology that fits very well into everything. It's the kind of world-building I hope we get with Star Wars Land.

The biggest drawback of this project is team-work. Simply put, this is a Basketbuddy presentation. If he wins as Team Leader, I think he deserves the PoMVP over anyone else. The page count between the two teams doesn't lie. Ironically enough, the biggest strength of Team Mist became Team Younger's biggest weakness, thus making this one of the most interesting match-ups of the season.

Creativity: 8.5/10
Realism: 10/10
Detail: 8.5/10
Presentation: 9/10
Team Work: 6/10
Total: 42/50

Once again my score comes down to only a couple points. Now, we wait for MEW to make the final call. Good luck to both teams and all ten remaining participants. It's been a wonderful season so far and this has been the benchmark of that.

MANEATINGWREATH

Well, way to make our decision incredibly difficult, guys. I mean, really. Color me impressed and call me "Nancy."

It's ironic, really. The Lord of the Rings project of Season Five is what led to my elimination and subsequent placement in 3rd Place. Since then, I've dreaded the prospect of another Tolkien prompt rearing its head in SYWTBAI. That being said, not only did both teams provide something truly spectacular, they made my measly Hobbit project look like cat vomit. So thank you. :p

To start, Team Mist. I'm going to respectfully disagree with Tiki in the area of having the entire project be a poem. I thought that the idea was not only a HUGE game-changer for SYWTBAI, but also a creative and seamless method to present such an outlandish project. Being a big buff for Disney history, I loved the warped timeline of having Eisner behind the madness. Likewise, having the company "cheap out" on the ride in the wake of Peter Jackson's films was a perfect finish to the concept and almost eerily accurate to what Disney would have done in the early 2000s.

Now, what did I not like? Well, nothing. I liked everything about this project. It was a perfect attraction for a not-so-perfect film. My only gripe would have been the lack of inclusion for this timeless song, sung by Thurl Ravenscroft, the voice of Tony the Tiger himself:

Like I said, this was a real game-changer for SYWTBAI. This is something that hasn't been done before and worked well given the context. I would suggest that all teams look to this as an example in how creative one can get with a presentation.

This is really close to being a contender for the season's first perfect score. However, my final tally left you just shy of fifty by two points... So close, but so far. Well done. Really, well done. 48/50.

Now, Team Younger. I'm going to be honest, I am not a LOTR fan in the slightest. While I actually do enjoy the Rankin-Bass Hobbit, I have never seen or read anything else pertaining to Tolkien, other than the first in The Hobbit Trilogy. Even then, I fell asleep on the airplane midway through the film. Oops.

That being said, this was a stellar project. There are few times that a project is "born" in SYWTBAI based on a set IP that encompasses everyone and familiarizes them instantly. This is one of them. I could really feel the love and attention to detail shine through as I read - enjoyed - the project.

However, this was a Basketbuddy project through and through. Not that there is anything wrong with a Basketbuddy project, but, teamwork is an important element in the grading scale. Even though the teamwork wasn't so hot this time around, the project provided was stellar, and you owe Basketbuddy dearly. As Tiki said, a PoMVP would be in order were Team Younger to win. However, this is Team Mist's victory. For Team Younger, a 45/50. If your teamwork had been a bit stronger, you might have been tied with Team Mist.

We're headed into the merge now. There will be no "winning" or "losing" team after this. Just contestants and good old-fashioned armchair Imagineering.

With Team Mist as the pre-merge victor, this means that we will lose a member of Team Younger. I am sorry, @mickeyfan5534, but you have been eliminated from So, You Want to be an Imagineer. It was a close call in the votes. I am sad to see you go as you have been a strong presence this season, more so than you have in the past. I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you around in the future, whether it be in SYWTBAI or elsewhere.

Stay tuned, folks. I believe Tiki will post the next assignment shortly. We have a shocking Walt's Vault twist (nothing too terrible, don't worry) to be unveiled with the merge, so keep your eyes open! If nothing is posted tonight, it will be posted first thing in the morning. It is now 12:21 AM on our coast. :D

mickeyfan5534

It's been a ride, but I'm glad I got off here. I think I've just drained myself and need a bit of a break. No comps, no projects after I finish Fairytales in the Stars. Focus on other things. Team, I bid you adieu and wish one of you to be the winner.

MANEATINGWREATH

2F8A996D00000578-0-image-a-27_1450668064679.jpg

So, I made a mistake. Like, a pretty big one.

There was a miscommunication between Tiki and myself. I would like to apologize, @mickeyfan5534.

Obviously, you were on Team Mist, the winning team. That being said, there was an error that led me to announce your elimination... This is clearly a mistake, as Team Younger should have lost someone. Heck, I even mentioned that they would lose someone. I can assure you that this has never happened before in SYWTBAI. It has happened at the Miss Universe Pageant and at the Oscars, but never in this game. Again, I would like to apologize, really.

However, as you seem to have accepted the elimination, we will give you the option to come back and continue forward, subsequently eliminating the person we were
supposed to eliminate from Team Younger. You can say yes or no, we won't be upset either way. This is on us, and I'm sorry if this might add any unwanted pressure or stress.

Also, I can confirm that Tiki will be posting the merge content soon enough. Stay tuned, folks.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Yea, definitely a coulda had a V8 Moment! Sincere apologies to Mickeyfan, and also to the person who's about to be eliminated. Folks, it was a very close call and in the end MEW and I didn't even agree on which projects they preferred...heck the only thing we both really agreed on is that both projects were fantastic. But in all fairness the scores are the scores, and someone from Team Younger needs to go. I'm very sorry to say, that someone is @ThatGuyFromFlorida. By a vote of 2/0, you have been eliminated from So, You Want to be an Imagineer. Again, this was a CRAZY mishap on our parts and we'll take all precautions to make sure it never happents again.

Congrats to Team Mist on pulling out an incredibly narrow victory. With that, we finally get to the merge portion of the game. As MEW said, you will not be competing with each other but instead working in unison with each other (at least until semi-finals ;) ) The goal of the merge gameplay is to work as well as you with your team. Each round's project leader will be asked to name two nominees 48 hours before the project is due. Those nominees will go public so the nominated people can have a chance to save themselves and make their case. The remaining contestants then vote between the two for elimination. From this point out all eliminated contestants will become jurors who will eventually vote on the winner in the final project!

With the housekeeping out of the way, in honor of my favorite Muppeteer Mr. Dave Goelz, here is the merged team...

Team Goelz

@Basketbuddy101
@JokersWild
@mickeyfan5534
@mharrington
@DisneyManOne
@Snoopy
@Magic Feather
@kmbmw777
@Pionmycake

With all that in mind, let's get to...

Project Eight: PL7764'S Guide to the Great Outdoors
IMG_3728.JPG

Based on PL7764's final Season Six project..."Twin Peaks Wilderness Adventure Park"

PL7764 is to this day one of my favorite winners the game has ever seen, and the project that this prompt takes inspiration from is a big reason for it. It bears repeating the story of the "Yensid Three" who lost the first three projects in a row as Team Yensid only to come back and topple over the entire opposing team through the rest of the pre-merge and merge to become the final three. Within this group was the defacto "leader" of the group and very consistent presence of season six HereWeGo...under the radar powerhouse and my personal friend from the MouseTimes "The Imagineer" pre-SYWTBAI days Stitch aka OSUPhantom...and the wild card enigma known as PL7764.

PL was a mostly under the radar presence in the season except when he stepped up to deliver pivotal ideas in the brainstorming which helped his team come back from the 0/3 defeat they had faced early on and make the final three together. While the "Yensid Three" wasn't a traditional alliance, it is worth taking note of considering this was the FIRST time we had tried teams for a whole season, making PL7764's victory all the more impress and a new blueprint for a more stealth-like winning game that Snoopy would later perfect in season ten. Enough with the history lesson though, let's get to the prompt.

For this project, teams will be designing a MAN-MADE wilderness hiking and camping area for the Disneyland Resort. While WDW has plenty of camping options thanks to Fort Wilderness, Disneyland Resort wants to expand their roster of offerings thanks to overcrowding in the theme parks. This wilderness park should feature the following...

-At least three different trails
-Campgrounds
-A themed swimming hole with a water slide
-An animal sanctuary
-A man-made lake with various water activities

This is meant to be a diversion from the theme parks and something to truly round out a vacation to the Disneyland Resort and take the pressure off of DLR being an infamous "local's park". Good luck team. This project is due Friday, March 31st at 11:59 PM Eastern

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
One last thing... @Basketbuddy101 was given the key to Walt's Vault this round and opened it. Upon opening it he was given the ability to steal one of the two remaining Diamond PoMVPs and decided to steal from @Pionmycake. @Basketbuddy101 and @DisneyManOne are now the two in possession of Diamond PoMVPs which they can use to save themselves from a nomination any time from this round until project twelve. Also as Team Leader @Magic Feather could you please name a PoMVP for your team for this round :)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
In addition to this round's avatar teaser, I'll hint that project nine's prompt is a combination of TWO beloved projects from the game's past. Just because you know what my avatar is doesn't mean you know what the prompt will be asking for ;)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@DisneyManOne has nominated @mharrington for elimination. I'm still waiting on a second nominee. If I don't get that by 24 hours before the project is due the judges will step in with the second nominee. @MANEATINGWREATH and I will also FINALLY return to podcasting with our take on the nine players who have made the merge. In the meantime, here is the long-delayed upload of my video reviews of the Theater Geeks project featuring THE Theater Geek himself @monkey92514!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom