So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 13: Get a Clue (Discussion Thread)

JokersWild

I do agree that I wish more time was spent talking about the actual Star Wars attractions...both have it's pros and cons, but rushing to the scores didn't give either enough time in the sun, so to speak.

Oh well. I've never seen Steven Universe, is it on Netflix? How does one watch this?
I agree. I would have liked to talk about the projects more, but we really weren't able to due to our late start and the fact that I'm leaving like now. We simply didn't have time to properly talk about each project. I do think that we got most of what we wanted to talk about out, though.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You should totally give it another chance. I totally understand where you're coming from, as it can drone a bit/ get ever so preachy, but it's really a great show. The music is spectacular, the characters are great, and the animation is stunning.
I've heard good things about the music. The other two, not so much.

But, I'll give it a chance as I gave every other concept a chance, for a challenge. And in 2 weeks, I'll likely be a nerdom fan, and in 2 weeks after that, like SHIELD, probably never watch it again.

spacemt354

Chili's
Meh, if you want my opinion, I think it's because Tiki didn't actually do more than glance at one or the other, unlike Jokers...

There was nothing to debate, because Tiki had no points to make except that our concept was "long" or some crap...

Neither analysis got into the character or story choices, neither made it clear which was a better structured presentation or not. There was nothing constructive out of the podcast aside from the scores.

There was a lot more to our presentation than "too much for Tiki's mind to handle" (which, again, I think is because he wasn't paying attention until the last minute), and a lot going for the other presentation that wasn't mentioned aside from "it was all Basket"...

I was disappointed with this analysis.

But, whatever.
Eh, I agree.

I like nitpicks and other small criticisms in a way, because that means that you read through the entire thing and it makes it feel like we put effort it for it to be recognized and appreciated.

But blanket statements make it so I'm less inclined to put so much time into details and various factors if they aren't really looked at.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I agree. I would have liked to talk about the projects more, but we really weren't able to due to our late start and the fact that I'm leaving like now. We simply didn't have time to properly talk about each project. I do think that we got most of what we wanted to talk about out, though.
I mentioned it earlier, I can respect the fact you guys get out judgement early, and often, constantly. I completely get that, and support it. Sorry if I came off otherwise. We just, as a team, did a ton of work on Hightower.

spacemt354

Chili's
It's a give and take thing.

Early and immediate reviews are great...but they are only great if you've been following along in the PMs the whole time so by the time the projects are posted, you don't have to "start reading" it...if that makes sense.

JokersWild

Eh, I agree.

I like nitpicks and other small criticisms in a way, because that means that you read through the entire thing and it makes it feel like we put effort it for it to be recognized and appreciated.

But blanket statements make it so I'm less inclined to put so much time into details and various factors if they aren't really looked at.
Please don't let our reviews steer you away from from going into the smaller details. I personally am very much a fan of them, and I'm sure that tiki is as well. We simply didn't have time to talk about everything tonight.

I mentioned it earlier, I can respect the fact you guys get out judgement early, and often, constantly. I completely get that, and support it. Sorry if I came off otherwise. We just, as a team, did a ton of work on Hightower.
No, you're totally right, and subsequent projects will be back to our usual detailed reviews.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's a give and take thing.

Early and immediate reviews are great...but they are only great if you've been following along in the PMs the whole time so by the time the projects are posted, you don't have to "start reading" it...if that makes sense.
It makes perfect sense to me, and I think Tiki has been ignoring them, off in his own world happy about his trip a few miles south (good for him) instead of paying attention to the competition he is judging.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I did read through the projects thoroughly. Jokers just explained that we had an incredibly limited time window to actually talk about the projects during this podcast. Instead I made the podcast into a debate about realism vs. group work because those were the two big things I wanted to talk about. Group work for Team Mystic just because a good 80% of their project is Basketbuddy and not a team effort (not saying BB didn't do an AMAZING job with his leadership, just saying it's hard to tell anyone else's contributions in the finished product besides his...)

No matter how well Hightower explained their ride system, there was a suspension of disbelief that I just couldn't get over when it came to your ambitious project. About 15-20 pages in you guys talk about going for the three track/multiple ride systems route and acknowledge it as a risk so you had to have known the realism score might be affected. When it came down to it for me personally I could picture a singular Boba Fett Adventures ride a lot easier than I could the more elaborate of ride/queue/ride that Hightower laid out. Plus the issue of physical space was another concern and Mystic was simply more modest with theirs. Jokers and I still both ended up giving Hightower the higher score so I really don't know what the problem is outside of us having a limited time to do the actual podcast tonight.

Yes I am absolutely stoked about my trip, but on top of that I'm juggling trying to get ready and making sure I have all my stuff together, my nightly Christmas in July podcasts, and my job training I'm about to start at the Disney Family Museum. On top of all that I make darn sure to read through, not SKIM but actually take the time to patiently read through each paragraph and sentence and make sure I understand what each team is trying to convey. I apologize if my feedback comes off as me doing otherwise as that's absolutely NOT my intention.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
About 15-20 pages in you guys talk about going for the three track/multiple ride systems route and acknowledge it as a risk so you had to have known the realism score might be affected. When it came down to it for me personally I could picture a singular Boba Fett Adventures ride a lot easier than I could the more elaborate of ride/queue/ride that Hightower laid out. Plus the issue of physical space was another concern and Mystic was simply more modest with theirs. Jokers and I still both ended up giving Hightower the higher score so I really don't know what the problem is outside of us having a limited time to do the actual podcast tonight.

Yes I am absolutely stoked about my trip, but on top of that I'm juggling trying to get ready and making sure I have all my stuff together, my nightly Christmas in July podcasts, and my job training I'm about to start at the Disney Family Museum. On top of all that I make darn sure to read through, not SKIM but actually take the time to patiently read through each paragraph and sentence and make sure I understand what each team is trying to convey. I apologize if my feedback comes off as me doing otherwise as that's absolutely NOT my intention.

There are no issues. We are beyond it. You should move on yourself.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I've literally been listening to this on repeat for the last 24 hours:

Ever since his name showed up in the Moana trailer I've been listening to Lin Manuel Miranda songs pretty much nonstop to the point where Hamilton has already been over-played. I really love how much education potential Hamilton has in classrooms. You've got a classroom full of urban kids with short attention spans and it's pretty much guaranteed that their interest will peak when they hear the first lines of "Alexander Hamilton". This show is basically responsible for a generation of kids now being history nerds, haha. It was genius to show the American Revolution as a reflection of how were progressing in today's society and just how darn similar things are when you really break them down.

RM have you checked out "In The Heights" yet? For as much as I love Hamilton I honestly might appreciate that even more, especially for how rooted it is in the traditions of classic musicals. It essentially plays like a modernized West Side Story. All the characters are incredibly smypathetic and likable. The second song is about failing out of college and how frustrated it is when people refuse to be disappointed with you and hold you up on a pedostal anyways in spite of your intense disappointment in yourself which is basically the EXACT same emotions I experienced when I failed my classes this past semester. Totally universal themes of longing and wanting to pull yourself up from your current lot in life. Also that song I just mentioned absolutely plays like a traditional "Disney Princess I Want Song" which makes it all the more awesome.

RMichael21

Ever since his name showed up in the Moana trailer I've been listening to Lin Manuel Miranda songs pretty much nonstop to the point where Hamilton has already been over-played. I really love how much education potential Hamilton has in classrooms. You've got a classroom full of urban kids with short attention spans and it's pretty much guaranteed that their interest will peak when they hear the first lines of "Alexander Hamilton". This show is basically responsible for a generation of kids now being history nerds, haha. It was genius to show the American Revolution as a reflection of how were progressing in today's society and just how darn similar things are when you really break them down.

RM have you checked out "In The Heights" yet? For as much as I love Hamilton I honestly might appreciate that even more, especially for how rooted it is in the traditions of classic musicals. It essentially plays like a modernized West Side Story. All the characters are incredibly smypathetic and likable. The second song is about failing out of college and how frustrated it is when people refuse to be disappointed with you and hold you up on a pedostal anyways in spite of your intense disappointment in yourself which is basically the EXACT same emotions I experienced when I failed my classes this past semester. Totally universal themes of longing and wanting to pull yourself up from your current lot in life. Also that song I just mentioned absolutely plays like a traditional "Disney Princess I Want Song" which makes it all the more awesome.

Yep, love In the Heights. ;)

RMichael21

i don't know if anyone'd find this cool, but I've been at film camp for the past few days haha. It's really cool, because it's right outside of WDW, so we get to film inside Epcot Wednesday/Thursday before it opens.

Also, my camp has a special relationship with Disney, so we got to go to Epcot for free last night for illuminations in a private viewing area with free Mickey ice cream. :eek: But we drove through the backstage areas (behind Test Track and a lot of world showcase) and entered the park through the cast member only gate next to American Adventure. Definitely a cool experience, I never thought I'd ever see the backstage of any Disney park. :D

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

So, I finally figured out what I'm going to do in Disney! On Monday (the 25th) I'm going to be going to the TTC early in the morning to get our AP's (we figured we'll be going often, living a little over 2 hours away), followed by MK where we'll be eating dinner at Skipper's Canteen. After that, we'll go to DAK for the evening, and then the next day will be dedicated to Epcot. Looking forward to it! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom