So sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DISNEY FANTASY

This was posted on a news forum yesterday and might shed a different light, if this is true then many people on internet forums and DCL blogs will need to 'eat their words', all I say is respect for the poor parents, a tragic incident occurs beyond their control and then everyone has an opinion on them based on a few posts on one DCL forum which might be totally incorrect. :-
faith.hope6
The child was not in the pool. He got separated from his parents in a crowd of people. Sadly that is where he wound up. Every parent turns around for second and has had that feeling of panic. Oh gosh where is he/she. But usually within seconds finds them. If he were on a leash you would judge that too. Have some empathy! Even if you disagree, pray for this child's life! Stop saying bad about the parents whom you don't know. This is a tragic accident! Your judgement won't change the outcome of his life. Your prayers will! If he lives, he will never look back and ask why they weren't watching him. He will remember them by his side this whole time. Don't think you are better than others. Be better by praying for this family!

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/03/31/boy-nearly-drowns-disney-fantasy-cruise-orlando/

Whatever you want to believe is up to you.
Would you like to change your view on the information supplied above?

I think certain Internet forums and DCL blogs should change what they have published to reflect the possibility they were wrong, and also put up an apology to the parents. Leave 'reporting' to newspapers and proper journalists. To add further 'hurt' to the parents in tragic circumstances and post on the internet has not been the human thing to do.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This was posted on a news forum yesterday and might shed a different light, if this is true then many people on internet forums and DCL blogs will need to 'eat their words', all I say is respect for the poor parents, a tragic incident occurs beyond their control and then everyone has an opinion on them based on a few posts on one DCL forum which might be totally incorrect. :-
faith.hope6
The child was not in the pool. He got separated from his parents in a crowd of people. Sadly that is where he wound up. Every parent turns around for second and has had that feeling of panic. Oh gosh where is he/she. But usually within seconds finds them. If he were on a leash you would judge that too. Have some empathy! Even if you disagree, pray for this child's life! Stop saying bad about the parents whom you don't know. This is a tragic accident! Your judgement won't change the outcome of his life. Your prayers will! If he lives, he will never look back and ask why they weren't watching him. He will remember them by his side this whole time. Don't think you are better than others. Be better by praying for this family!

I think certain Internet forums and DCL blogs should change what they have published to reflect the possibility they were wrong, and also put up an apology to the parents. Leave 'reporting' to newspapers and proper journalists. To add further 'hurt' to the parents in tragic circumstances and post on the internet has not been the human thing to do.
Thank you. Some people would rather play judge, jury and executioner than to admit that they have no idea what transpired.

wdwstateofmind

faith.hope6

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/03/31/boy-nearly-drowns-disney-fantasy-cruise-orlando/

Apologize for what? Are you aware how many frivolous lawsuits they get? They need to treat every situation the same or else they'd be bankrupt for every idiot parent that cried foul...unfortunately, people are entitled to their opinions and if you expect the internet to be a sane place for discussion then I don't know what to tell you...

ChuckElias

This was posted on a news forum yesterday and might shed a different light, if this is true then many people on internet forums and DCL blogs will need to 'eat their words',

faith.hope6

What information? You've cited another anonymous internet post with no claim about how they "know" what happened, and you linked a news article that gives no information at all about how the kid ended up in the pool.

The fact is that we just have NO idea at all of how that poor kid ended up in that terrible situation. I'm just happy that he is going to be ok. I don't need to know whose fault it was. That part will come to light in due time.

DISNEY FANTASY

What information? You've cited another anonymous internet post with no claim about how they "know" what happened, and you linked a news article that gives no information at all about how the kid ended up in the pool.

The fact is that we just have NO idea at all of how that poor kid ended up in that terrible situation. I'm just happy that he is going to be ok. I don't need to know whose fault it was. That part will come to light in due time.

The Disboards have relied on two separate posters, who have contradicted each other, and posted inaccuracies such as the boys age being '10', not '4', which is a big gap and again implies they didn't get their information first hand. reports of sailaway party being stopped or not stopped, announcements made or not made.

In my post I have said, 'this might shed new light', and also 'The fact is that we just have NO idea at all of how that poor kid ended up in that terrible situation'. This 'other' view point of equal merit has been ignored so far on other forums or Blogs.

As you said, I 'cited another anonymous internet post', so that makes three eyewitnesses, all with different views on what occurred.

Therefore I do not think you actually 'read' my post before replying to it, I have not stood behind anyone's post or view, rather made a continuing point, we do not know what occurred and I feel for the poor parents and family, and I think others have jumped to almighty conclusions rather quickly when there are alternative viewpoints out there.

As you say hopefully the full incident and how it occurred will come to light in due course, but some have jumped the gun and prejudged it before the full facts are known. 'If' its confirmed that in the crowds a boy became lost and then parents tried to find him, and during this he somehow ended up in a pool, then a lot of peoples posts are very libellous against the parents.

I would suggest you read my post fully before responding as actually I think we had the same view point but your response came across as a bit of an attack.

ChuckElias

Therefore I do not think you actually 'read' my post before replying to it,
I actually did read your entire post, although I admit that I did not review the entire thread to re-acquaint myself with each of your previous posts. I can also tell that you read my post before responding, which I appreciate. However, it sounds as though you think I'm trying to say more than I was really trying to say. I was simply responding the specific question that you asked near the end of your post: "Would you like to change your view on the information supplied above?"

My only point was that you didn't actually provide any reliable information. So if somebody held one view of the incident, the answer to your question would have to be "No". Who would change their view based on anonymous, unverifiable reports? Nobody. (I hope!)

This 'other' view point of equal merit has been ignored so far on other forums or Blogs.
I agree with this. Although my position would be that the "equal merit" for each of them is actually "no merit".

I have not stood behind anyone's post or view, rather made a continuing point, we do not know what occurred and I feel for the poor parents and family, and I think others have jumped to almighty conclusions rather quickly when there are alternative viewpoints out there.
I also agree with this completely.

I would suggest you read my post fully before responding as actually I think we had the same view point but your response came across as a bit of an attack.
While my online communication skills have been on the fritz lately, my post was in no way an attack. I made no personal comments toward you. I stated only facts, regarding your post. When I gave my feelings, I did not say that anybody else should feel that way.

Additionally, if you've read this forum for any amount of time, you know that I don't engage in attacking dialogue. I have left threads completely, rather than engage another poster in antagonistic conversations.

sweetpee_1993

faith.hope6

Personally I think link above is, yet, another unknown/unverified source so, no, I wouldn't read what that account of what transpired and think, "Ah-hah! So that's what happened!" It's no more or less reliable than the itty bitty bits of info that everyone has gone to task over on other boards. I stopped even reading that thread over there because people just get waaaaay too involved and downright indignant on some things. It's a discussion forum. You'll never get everyone to think the exact same way. If you disagree with someone you need to accept that no matter what you say, the chances of you changing another person are virtually nill. So live and let live. If a person is spewing negativity that you don't like or disagree with then don't read it. Leave it. That's them, not you. I just don't get opening up all sorts of heated debate over these things. At the end of the day it doesn't really have any impact so why expend the energy?

I've not judged the parents from the start. Accidents can and do happen. This is particularly true when you have kids. I don't think my mom is a bad person...she was asleep midday when my brother (then 6 yrs old) and I (then 4 yrs old) did 2 things we knew we weren't supposed to do: 1. went outside without an adult, and 2. played with tools. This resulted in an incomplete amputation of 2 of my fingers. Three surgeries, weeks in a hospital (it was 1978, things were a little different than nowadays) and I know my mom still carries tremendous guilt over what happened. How do I know? She calls me every March 10th, the day it happened, and we talk about it. It was an accident. Accidents happen. So, no, I'm not about to go passing judgement on these poor people. Judging is not my job nor is it a job that I want.

Phonedave

(Boy, 2 marine surveyors. Betting our life's have tripped over each others at some point, there are not that many of us. Gave it up to be home with my kids, the travel was sucidoodles.)

Both of my kids are certified Ellis instructors to train and certify lifeguards annually. My DS continues to certify on the side while my DD manages a waterpark over the summer along with 3 indoor pools over breaks. The kiddie pool is guarded, the zero depth pool that goes from zero to 4 ft is guarded and the lap pool is guarded. In the WaterPark every slide, slide pool, fun house and lazy river is guarded. So many guards are posted on the the lazy river. They are fully certified in CPR, First Aid and AED''s.

At Florida for Disney employees and their families there is a water rec area near the College Program housing called Mickey's Retreat. http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/cast-member-rescued-mickeys-retreat It's pool is guarded with several lifeguards and overlapping shifts to keep the employees safe. I am just surprised the DCL children's pool is treated so differently than the main pools in the US. Disney does pump a great deal of money into certifying their lifeguards and paying their wages. Head scratcher as to why they feel so differently on their ships. I wonder if Disney guards it's pools in Paris.

Just to clarify the facts.

DCL ships has three pools. A Kiddy Pool, a Family Pool, and an Adults Only pool

The Kiddy pool is like 2 feet deep and has a splash area. There are also CM's there to monitor the pool. I don't know if I would call them certified life guards but they watch over the area. It would be pretty hard to drown in that pool. Yeah, I know you can drown in 2 inches of water, but that pool is usually pretty open, calm, and well watched. It is only open to ages 5 (maybe, something like that) and under.

The Family pool is a deep (5 - 6 feet) pool where all ages are allowed.I BELIEVE this is where the child in question was injured. This pool is not monitored. There are CM's around (they are always around) but they are not lifeguards and it does not appear they are assigned specificaly to watch the pool, but instead to watch the entire area.

The Adult only pool is for adults only, and is for the most part calm and quiet. There is a deeper section there as well. Also, no life guards.

-dave

GMRO

When I heard/read about this I felt bad. And I still do. Nobody goes on vacation to get hurt or to have a near death experience. I think we all agree on that? Especially on a Disney vacation. What a wonderful time for families who get to go to any Disney Park or take a DCL trip.

BUT, having no kids I have no issues saying that it is every parents responsibility to monitor and take care of their children – no matter where you are in this world. YOU brought them into this world. AND if things go as planned/normal they will be your responsibility for the REST of YOUR life.

While I feel bad for this situation of what happened to this family – the parents are fully responsible for how and what transpired. UNLESS the child was abducted and thrown into the water by some fiend. Which I think not was the case.

Sound harsh? YEA it is. Parents need to think about your actions and your kids’ safety and welfare all the time. Kids get hurt at malls on escalators, at any amusement park or anywhere. And WATER is a source of concern – be it a family backyard pool or hot-tub or else.

Could this have been prevented...bottom line is YES it could have. This was not an accident. This was neglect by the parents. Take some responsibility. The FAIL is on their heads.

I do hope the child recovers FULLY and they learn from this. I hope all PARENTS learn from this.

ChuckElias

BUT, having no kids I have no issues saying that it is every parents responsibility to monitor and take care of their children – no matter where you are in this world. YOU brought them into this world. AND if things go as planned/normal they will be your responsibility for the REST of YOUR life.
This is simply not true. Not even remotely. Forget for a moment about whether a person is responsible for "allowing" an adult child to commit a crime because he or she was not being supervised by the parent. Do you really think a 90-year-old woman is responsible for her 65-year-old son? There is a natural point in life when the parent relinquishes responsibility for the child. Your claim is frankly absurd.

Could this have been prevented...bottom line is YES it could have. This was not an accident. This was neglect by the parents.
How in the WORLD can you possibly know this???? You weren't there (since you previously said you didn't "think" it was an abduction), so how can you possibly come to this conclusion?

GMRO

This is simply not true. Not even remotely. Forget for a moment about whether a person is responsible for "allowing" an adult child to commit a crime because he or she was not being supervised by the parent. Do you really think a 90-year-old woman is responsible for her 65-year-old son? There is a natural point in life when the parent relinquishes responsibility for the child. Your claim is frankly absurd.

How in the WORLD can you possibly know this???? You weren't there (since you previously said you didn't "think" it was an abduction), so how can you possibly come to this conclusion?

Figured someone would take a bit out of context and ask "HOW DO YOU KNOW?" No I don't know how the child ended up in the water. BUT I'll bet you a year of 12 DCL vacations that IT WAS NOT THRU ABDUCTION and being thrown into the water. Care to take that wager?

Either way, I just won an expensive cigar and fancy adult beverage as I bet myself as I clicked on the POST button that a parent would play the - as you did -"how do you know" card and the parent responsibility of the "adolescent/adult kid turned bad" card.

Let me clarify for you. What do I know? Enough to say that when small kids get hurt in this type of situation with masses of strangers as well as in an unfamiliar place it's not because of them being watched or tended to by their parents. We are not talking about a small kid on a bike wearing a helmet that loses their balance and falls off or crashes and gets hurt. The parent has no way of keeping that ACCIDENT from occurring. Do we agree? BUT the parents do have the responsibility to buy the child the correct equipment, helmet and training wheels as well as a bike that is the right size – safe for them - and to put them in an area to ride that is safe while they learn balance and to ride. Any less is irresponsible parenting and does not fall under the accident criteria. Buying the bike is not where it ends. As well as taking a kid on a wonderful vacation such as a DCL voyage.

I see lackey parenting daily and each year on vacation at Disney or on a DCL voyage. I also see when kids turn bad and shoot up schools and malls when parents say "yea we knew something was wrong with him". YET they did nothing about it. How many times have you heard them say "well we tried to get him help, we did all we could have…I guess we failed." I'll give you a hint – the count stands at NEVER. It’s a real shame folks don't have to pass a test to get to procreate. It would solve a lot of problems with society.

I’m curious, how long did you sign up for to be a parent? 20 years? 35 years? Or end of your life? YEA is it your responsibility until such time you are NOT ABLE to parent. Maybe you will be in diapers at that point or in a care home. Hard to say. Let’s hope your kids at that point step in and do the right thing and learn from their parents guidance and take RESPONSIBILITY for what needs done.

What’s the point here? POINT is that you are a parent for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Own up to it.

I have no shame in admitting that my parents are much better folks than I will ever be. They raised 4 of us. And they are blue collar workers WHO retired from great jobs and even as retirees they still hold part time minimum wage jobs. And guess what? None of us have taken someone’s life, fell into a whole unsupervised, got dismembered nor have any DUI’s. Hmmm…maybe they did something right and taught us good morals as well as respect for life with responsibility for our actions? I'm proud of them and THEY will be MY PARENTS till they pass away. They much like their parents signed on for the long haul. And if things go well, circle of life, my brothers and sister and I will all outlive them. I can only imagine a parent’s heart break should their children pass before them.

That was my meaning and flavor in my other post - though I think you got it but just wanted to play. RIGHT? Frankly absurd? Only from your side. Just speaking the truth here. If you didn't meant to play - maybe you learnt something today about how long you signed up for “parent-hood?”

I understand that everyone makes mistakes. To me this was a parenting mistake that turned into something very serious at one of the most magical places on earth.

I do wish the entire family well. And I hope the child makes a full recovery.

Thanks for your reply.

ChuckElias

I don't know how the child ended up in the water.
Yet you claim categorically that it was not an accident. Color me puzzled.

BUT I'll bet you a year of 12 DCL vacations that IT WAS NOT THRU ABDUCTION and being thrown into the water. Care to take that wager?
Of course not. But nobody has even suggested that the kid was abducted. Why would anybody take that wager? You're just not making sense to me, honestly.

Either way, I just won an expensive cigar and fancy adult beverage as I bet myself as I clicked on the POST button that a parent would play the - as you did -"how do you know" card and the parent responsibility of the "adolescent/adult kid turned bad" card.
That's an easy bet to win, because those statements that you made are patently false. Of course someone was going to call you on it.

What do I know? Enough to say that when small kids get hurt in this type of situation with masses of strangers as well as in an unfamiliar place it's not because of them being watched or tended to by their parents.
You're honestly asking what you know? To be quite frank, you know squat. I've watched kids on the beach, very close to their parents, being watched responsibly, who get knocked down hard by another kid who is not looking where he's running. I've seen heavily supervised kids get knocked nearly unconscious by a ball that comes flying from who-knows-where. Accidents happen, even in well-supervised situations. You have LITERALLY no idea whether this was an accident or result of being unsupervised unless you were there and observed it. And by your own admission, you were not there.

What’s the point here? POINT is that you are a parent for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Own up to it.
Of course I am. But that doesn't mean I'm responsible for my daughter for the rest of my life. That's laughable. In fact, at some point, as I get older, it's quite possible that she will become responsible for me. This happens all the time. It's not even debatable, really.

That was my meaning and flavor in my other post - though I think you got it but just wanted to play. RIGHT?
Here's the flavor I got from your last post: There's absolutely no way that kid could have gotten hurt if he was being supervised". And that is simply false. "A parent is responsible for his child for the parent's entire life". And that is simply false.

maybe you learnt something today about how long you signed up for “parent-hood?”
Oh, thank goodness. Finally some levity in this thread. Whew!! I really needed some humor inserted here, so thanks for that. I appreciate you trying to lighten things up with a little joke. Wait. What? You were serious? :rolleyes:

This thread is probably not the proper place for this particular conversation. So I will excuse myself from it before anyone else thinks I'm attacking him/her. But I just could not let these ludicrous statements pass without comment. Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

GMRO

Yet you claim categorically that it was not an accident. Color me puzzled.

Of course not. But nobody has even suggested that the kid was abducted. Why would anybody take that wager? You're just not making sense to me, honestly.

That's an easy bet to win, because those statements that you made are patently false. Of course someone was going to call you on it.

You're honestly asking what you know? To be quite frank, you know squat. I've watched kids on the beach, very close to their parents, being watched responsibly, who get knocked down hard by another kid who is not looking where he's running. I've seen heavily supervised kids get knocked nearly unconscious by a ball that comes flying from who-knows-where. Accidents happen, even in well-supervised situations. You have LITERALLY no idea whether this was an accident or result of being unsupervised unless you were there and observed it. And by your own admission, you were not there.

Of course I am. But that doesn't mean I'm responsible for my daughter for the rest of my life. That's laughable. In fact, at some point, as I get older, it's quite possible that she will become responsible for me. This happens all the time. It's not even debatable, really.

Here's the flavor I got from your last post: There's absolutely no way that kid could have gotten hurt if he was being supervised". And that is simply false. "A parent is responsible for his child for the parent's entire life". And that is simply false.

Oh, thank goodness. Finally some levity in this thread. Whew!! I really needed some humor inserted here, so thanks for that. I appreciate you trying to lighten things up with a little joke. Wait. What? You were serious? :rolleyes:

This thread is probably not the proper place for this particular conversation. So I will excuse myself from it before anyone else thinks I'm attacking him/her. But I just could not let these ludicrous statements pass without comment. Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

WOW, the time you spent taking my words out of context to prove and justify your views on parenting and responsibility…impressive! Hope you spend as much time parenting and working towards some sort of parent of the year award. Great to see you have taken up some reading from the book of obvious too. It was nice that you took the time to counter your points with blatantly obvious comments. Both nice and expected...

You can cite any amount of different ways kids get hurt all you want. Some can be called accidents and some not. I get that you will need taken care of eventually from your child when you get older – of course on heals of when you relinquish parenting responsibilities. The rest - your points - are small and meaningless.

You epic fail to miss the major points as you did your “clip and context” home work yesterday evening.

1) Could the parent’s mistake, that lead to the child ending up in the water, have been avoided? – YES.

2) Was I there? NO. I do know the child did not end up in the water via abduction and frankly that would be the ONLY excusable reason for such a tragic thing to happen. Course then again ABDUCTION is yet another issue – but for your sake of understanding responsibility – let’s leave that one alone. The BOARDS and MEDIA would have been blowing up over it. I took a turn here to read from your book of obvious - and I must say it has such few pages and large large text.

3) Do I know more than squat? Funny, great humor in your 2 cent words - Puzzled; Ludicrous, Absurd. Maybe take the time to learn a few new ones: Responsibility, Mistake, and Accident. You seem to get these mixed up in understanding how things occur in real world life. Good thing helmet laws, seatbelt laws and cell phone laws exist for folks with excuses and slanted views of reality. And please remember to remain seated until the ride comes to a complete stop. Por'favor man-tang'es alee adjaro de'la portas. Semi-phonetically just for you!

BUT don’t fret, your views position you well in the group of parents who buy a child under the age of 9 their own shiny iPhone5 and justify it by claiming it’s “for safety reasons.” Yet don't take the time to outline an emergency exit plan in their home in case there happens to be situation like a fire. Have you even checked to see if your child’s sleep pattern will permit them to hear the smoke alarm sound and wake up? Have you checked to see if your alarms are dual sensor types allowing your family to exit your residence in the shortest amount of time if the need arises? You may want to GOOGLE, BING or DATELINE it and see what I’m referring to.

WAIT, are you responsible for this? Winner Winner – Chicken Dinner, I’ll bet that I’m dead on again.

Thanks for the entertainment… keep on believing!

sweetpee_1993

Um, okay so I can appreciate that, yes, especially with young children parents are ultimately responsible I also realize (from experience being a parent) that even with the best, most dilligent parents it takes but a split second of distraction for a child to bolt off in an unknown direction. I believe I read this family had more than one child. Purely hypothetical but as an example, if one child had tripped & hit his/her head and for less than a minute both Mom & Dad turned their attention to examining the possibly injured child a younger sibling or other child could see something that catches their eye and bolt into a crowd and virtually "disappear". In the time it takes for Mom & Dad to organize a search the now parent-free child wanders over to a pool, gets knocked down and/or in by another rambunctious older kid, and voila! An unthinkable accident has happened all a matter of minutes. I'm not saying that's what happened, only that things like this can easily happen. It's not necessarily because Mom & Dad are bad parents. It's like a perfect storm of bad things that all converge into the unthinkable. KWIM? I think that's why so many have been of the mindset that maybe jumping to conclusions even when some signs point to negligence on the parent's part isn't appropriate without really having full knowledge of what happened. Plus, as parents, it's really tough to imagine this sort of thing happening to your little ones. You wonder, "OMG...what would I do? How would I feel?" and for me it's so unthinkable that my mind goes straight to, "I'd just die." No, that wouldn't help a thing but having something happen to one of my "babies" (they're sooo not babies anymore per se) is just beyond comprehension for me. So, from that state of mind I look at these parents and this little family with sympathy for what flavor of hell they must be experiencing. Even if Mom & Dad did use poor choices and this was the result, that probably makes it all the worse for them (as it prob'ly should be IF that was the case but, again, we don't know for sure so it's not right to assign that emotion yet).

All the nuances of parenting, what we think it entails and what it actually does, is different for many people. Ultimately, Mom & Dad should do their very best beginning to end to always uplift, teach, and bring about a positive human being that contributes and is a good person. We'll all make mistakes and sometimes those have consequences. But, as long as we always do our very best than what more is there? Which brings me to what I tell my boys all the time and what I've stated on this website many times: It's not one's mistakes that define them, it's what they do with them that does. Life is about forgiving (of others and oneself) and learning from experience both good and bad. Make a mistake? Learn. Don't repeat it. Use that consequence as the starting point to improve. Bring knowledge & understanding to yourself and others. Coversely, if we as humans busy ourselves talking people down & beating them up for their mistakes that they are living with then how are we creating a positive atmosphere for that person to make their mistake into a positive life experience? Right? So even if these parents did have a temporary lapse of judgement which resulted in their child's accident (not saying it is, I'm just saying IF) it's something that they have to live with and learn from. Support helps them grow. Beating them down creates self-doubt and hurt. Does that make sense?

Lets not get caught up here, gang. It has nothing positive to contribute at the end of the day. Everyone has their feelings, emotions, opinions, etc. and they're entitled to that. Nothing you say will change someone who thinks, feels, or sees things different from you. It's okay to be on different pages. Most people use the term "It takes all kinds" when you see someone strange or really outrageous but when you think about that term, consider the words, and embrace what it means it really is true. It does take all kinds which, thankfully, is what makes the world we live in so colorful and diverse.

Peace and love to all. Now to be this productive and positive with the rest of my afternoon. ((I need a huggy emoticon to send a big hug to you all!))

Phonedave

Um, okay so I can appreciate that, yes, especially with young children parents are ultimately responsible I also realize (from experience being a parent) that even with the best, most dilligent parents it takes but a split second of distraction for a child to bolt off in an unknown direction. I believe I read this family had more ... <SNIP>.... ((I need a huggy emoticon to send a big hug to you all!))

I wish there was a way of liking that more than once.

When you do not know all the facts, to say the parents are responsible unless the child was abducted, is simply wrong. Frankly if you kid is abducted, then you may also have been at fault.

As a parent, and yes I am one, life is a balancing act. You want to give your children the freedom to grow, but you also want to keep them safe. We could all take our kids and keep them in a room, wrapped in bubble wrap, with a HEPA filter, and fire supression systems 24 hours a day, but that would not be in their best interests. Neither would letting them run free and wild with no restructions.

As a parent of two kids (and step-parent of another) I know all too well how easily they disappear. You are at the park, they are playing and you are watching them, you drop your keys, pick them up, and then "hey, where did your sister go?". It happens just that easily. Again, maybe it played out that way on the ship, maybe it didn't. The truth is, none of us here know for sure.

-dave

sweetpee_1993

I wish there was a way of liking that more than once. <<snip>>

As a parent, and yes I am one, life is a balancing act. You want to give your children the freedom to grow, but you also want to keep them safe. We could all take our kids and keep them in a room, wrapped in bubble wrap, with a HEPA filter, and fire supression systems 24 hours a day, but that weold not be in their best interests. Neither would letting them run free and wild with no restructions.

I like that <<snip>>-y thingy!

Thank you!

And this is true. We'd love to hang onto our "babies" no matter what their age to keep them safely tucked beneath our momma-hen wings but we can't. A baby you hold in your arms close to your body tons to begin with but then progressively less as they grow older. By 4 years old there are many children who strongly react against being held onto even by the hand. It's their push and desire to be independant. And, ya know, even tho my oldest is 17 now and literally bigger than me I guarantee you if we were navigating say a post-Wishes shuffle to the exit turnstiles I'd probably have a death-grip on his arm, shirt, or something. All kids are different and as parents we're all doing our best to walk the thin line between too much hold and not enough to facilitate our offspring flexing their wings and moving onward in their life's journey. Being a parent is the hardest job I've ever had...right behind being a wife. Seriously, there's so many things that could've happened that we don't fully know the details of. It could've been a big kid running and knocking down another child or someone else on the ground freaking out over something...any number of things that could distract a parent long enough for a 4 year old who normally is reliable to stay right by their side to turn and be lost in a crowd. Or maybe another adult came by that was wearing something similar that the kid wasn't looking up and started following that person not knowing it wasn't his own parent. There's just so many possibilities...all of which are as unfortunate as the next.

We really do need a huggy emoticon! Or I need someone to give me a crash course in how to use other non-WDWMagic emoticons on these boards!

angieandtrevor

Um, okay so I can appreciate that, yes, especially with young children parents are ultimately responsible I also realize (from experience being a parent) that even with the best, most dilligent parents it takes but a split second of distraction for a child to bolt off in an unknown direction. I believe I read this family had more than one child. Purely hypothetical but as an example, if one child had tripped & hit his/her head and for less than a minute both Mom & Dad turned their attention to examining the possibly injured child a younger sibling or other child could see something that catches their eye and bolt into a crowd and virtually "disappear". In the time it takes for Mom & Dad to organize a search the now parent-free child wanders over to a pool, gets knocked down and/or in by another rambunctious older kid, and voila! An unthinkable accident has happened all a matter of minutes. I'm not saying that's what happened, only that things like this can easily happen. It's not necessarily because Mom & Dad are bad parents. It's like a perfect storm of bad things that all converge into the unthinkable. KWIM? I think that's why so many have been of the mindset that maybe jumping to conclusions even when some signs point to negligence on the parent's part isn't appropriate without really having full knowledge of what happened. Plus, as parents, it's really tough to imagine this sort of thing happening to your little ones. You wonder, "OMG...what would I do? How would I feel?" and for me it's so unthinkable that my mind goes straight to, "I'd just die." No, that wouldn't help a thing but having something happen to one of my "babies" (they're sooo not babies anymore per se) is just beyond comprehension for me. So, from that state of mind I look at these parents and this little family with sympathy for what flavor of hell they must be experiencing. Even if Mom & Dad did use poor choices and this was the result, that probably makes it all the worse for them (as it prob'ly should be IF that was the case but, again, we don't know for sure so it's not right to assign that emotion yet).

All the nuances of parenting, what we think it entails and what it actually does, is different for many people. Ultimately, Mom & Dad should do their very best beginning to end to always uplift, teach, and bring about a positive human being that contributes and is a good person. We'll all make mistakes and sometimes those have consequences. But, as long as we always do our very best than what more is there? Which brings me to what I tell my boys all the time and what I've stated on this website many times: It's not one's mistakes that define them, it's what they do with them that does. Life is about forgiving (of others and oneself) and learning from experience both good and bad. Make a mistake? Learn. Don't repeat it. Use that consequence as the starting point to improve. Bring knowledge & understanding to yourself and others. Coversely, if we as humans busy ourselves talking people down & beating them up for their mistakes that they are living with then how are we creating a positive atmosphere for that person to make their mistake into a positive life experience? Right? So even if these parents did have a temporary lapse of judgement which resulted in their child's accident (not saying it is, I'm just saying IF) it's something that they have to live with and learn from. Support helps them grow. Beating them down creates self-doubt and hurt. Does that make sense?

Lets not get caught up here, gang. It has nothing positive to contribute at the end of the day. Everyone has their feelings, emotions, opinions, etc. and they're entitled to that. Nothing you say will change someone who thinks, feels, or sees things different from you. It's okay to be on different pages. Most people use the term "It takes all kinds" when you see someone strange or really outrageous but when you think about that term, consider the words, and embrace what it means it really is true. It does take all kinds which, thankfully, is what makes the world we live in so colorful and diverse.

Peace and love to all. Now to be this productive and positive with the rest of my afternoon. ((I need a huggy emoticon to send a big hug to you all!))

Amen Sista :). I couldn't agree more !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom