So many empty tables yet no ADR times?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
One quarter of the tables were empty at 'Ohana when we dined there on June 4th. Yet both the app and web said, "Reservations Unavailable."

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Just because there are empty tables does not mean there are available reservations. If a place is staffed less than 100% capacity then they are not going to seat all the tables. Food service 101. Don't make all your customers mad because of slow service if you are under staffed for unexpected demand.

ParentsOf4

During a recent visit, we were leaving DHS around 12:30 PM and stopped by Guest Relations to request a table at the Rose & Crown for 4:00 PM. (We prefer eating at off times.)

After first being told that nothing was available, the CM assisting us searched some more and found a table at 3:45 PM. After insisting on a credit card that we were told would be charged if we did not show up, the CM (who was very polite throughout) provided us with a confirmation number.

When we arrived at about 3:30 PM, we were given a pager and waited about 15 minutes to be seated.

Once we entered, the restaurant was practically empty with perhaps 4 or 5 tables occupied. During our time there (about an hour), only 2 or 3 other tables were seated. (We were close to the entrance and could easily watch everyone come and go.) As we left, there were perhaps no more that 3 or 4 other tables in use.

During our time there, there were at least half-a-dozen waiters/waitresses loitering about, with nothing to do. They were very noticeable to us since they tended to congregate about 10-to-15 feet from our table.

Even if only one chief was on duty, I'd expect that to be enough to handle the extremely light volume.

In the days before the $10 surcharge on cancellations, I might be able to come up with an explanation.

Today, I can offer none.

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

We actually saw this happen at Be Our Guest. We were finishing up dinner just before 8 (6:20 ADR) and we saw tons of empty tables and barely 10 people waiting to come in. They were turning away walk ups too...shrugs!

PAW PAW 70

We ate at Be Our Guest last year. Not pleased at all. Had reservations when dinner started we were seated right away ordered and the food came out fast. Everything was lukewarm seemed to have been already prepared and kept under heatlamp

PrincessNelly_NJ

Right, but what time did the restaurant close?
Probably 9:30 (irdk, But MK is open today til 11 and BOG is open til 9:30 today so I'm assuming)
I know we had a 7:55 fp+ for Space mountain that we were early for and even rode LM on our way to SM, so we had to have left around 7:40ish.
Almost 2 more operating hours and they turn people away?:confused:

Dwarful

We were there May 31 - June 8 and we noticed this on more than one occasion. We did lunch at BOG and had the FP option but did not preorder our food. There was a long line of people waiting for stand by availability. We walked right in, ordered our food, grabbed our drinks and silverware and found a large quiet table....there wasn't another group sitting near us. Maybe only 5 other families in that room all together. We were in the library.

We did the breakfast at Sci-Fi for Star Wars. We had a 1030 time. We stopped by at 9 AM to see if we could get in any earlier as my husband wanted to see the parade both weekends we were there. They seated us within 10 minutes. While we were waiting, a large group showed up and they had an ADR at 8 AM and were also seated immediately. There were rows of empty cars available. When I called the day before from our room we were told nothing was available. But the morning of our breakfast CM's were taking walk ups.

Also noticed a lot of empty tables at Teppan Edo and Crystal Palace.

LWB

I noticed the empty tables a lot on our most recent trip, and I understood the ones when we had an early ADR. I understand they can't fill every table at 8am because the kitchen would be slammed and no diners would be happy! The ones I didn't understand as much were the dinner reservations in places that I knew were "booked/unavailable" during peak times. For example, we dined at Be Our Guest last month for dinner and we were in the Gallery dining room - only two other tables had families dining. It was lovely for us. The place was beautiful, quiet, excellent service - but I felt bad for families out there that I know would have loved to be dining there as well! I am sure there was some reason for it (like others have said - kitchen not fully staffed that night, etc), but I wish there was something that could be done to make it look a little better to guests! If they needed to serve fewer diners that night, maybe close one of the 3 rooms at BOG? (It's not like you're guaranteed which room you will be seated in). Not sure what the answer is, but it was definitely noticed more on this trip as dining reservations are harder and harder to snag but tables were more and more empty.

Dwarful

Exactly what LWB said. My husband said it was as if Disney were forcing people to select other options....perhaps lesser known/desired locations. I mean, its not like they suddenly had people show up some of these reservations (BOG) were made 180 days or close to it, in advance. Every dining location couldn't suddenly have staffing issues every day? right????

tigger1968

I wonder if part of this is some effort to create an implied demand. You can't get in, so it MUST be popular and awesome, right?

I get that staffing controls the pace of a restaurant, and if the FOH is short, you can have empty tables, but this seems to be more of a systemic issue. I really don't get it, it would seem to be more sensible to try to fill these higher ticket restaurants and increase revenues than seemingly drive guests to the less expensive QSR restaurants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom